Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Bass you're way off on your figures.

I run a JEX herd, majority of them in their second lactation last year. I work off farm so there is probably a tax built into my costs for that but the cost per litre was 30c/l plus 10c/l for labour. That labour covers all the milking from March 17th to the end of the year and feeding silage every morning from September on. Cost of loan repayments is 7c/l.

Contract rearing costs are included in the 30c for all maiden heifers.

I've excluded capital costs, 3c/l, that's probably the standard investment required every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fair play for your honesty …this isn’t a criticisim of your figures but more the way there presented and Tegasc are guilty of same ….why not include the labour charge cost on loans and capital costs ….vast majority of farms have these ….30 cent isn’t a thru cost but grabs the headline

That was just for the sake of splitting them out to compare with the 18c figure. It's ridiculous that costs are quoted ex wages and finance costs. As though we can just dismiss them

A mistake in those figures. The labour is split 5.7c/l for outside help and 4.3c/l to my father. Completely unrelated my father gifts me something similar each year.

So you're at 45.7c/l all told for 2022. It will need to come down a lot for 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Bass's figures could be right on a lowly stocked no further investement type farm...Maybe one nearing retirement and having reduced numbers...

Look at 150 acres owned 70 cows milking, utilising 7 tonnes grown (extended grazing/minimal silage) 4,500 litres delivered.

Milk price 44c less 18c costs..26c/l profit or €81,000

Same farm stocked at 3.5 (175 cows) conventional utilising 12 tonnes 950kg meal, contract rearing, exporting slurry and buying some silage will deliver 5,500l and run costs of 29c.

Milk price 44 less 29 or 15c profit yields €144,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭stanflt

jeez lads sure even if your only feeding a half a ton of meal per cow your cost of this alone is 5cpl- I don’t know anyone feeding less

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KAMG

I Have been following this thread very carefully the last few days. What it tells me is that there is huge variations in costs out there. Which is to be expected. Each farm is different. I don't pass any heed on the likes of Teagasc etc. Each farmer knows their own business better than anyone.

For what its worth to any of ye reading, we just submitted our first dairy farmer tax return for 2022. He is a sole trader, with a December 2022 year end.

Here is a summary of his 2022 accounts.

75 Cows. No employees. Some help from retired father at busy times.

Total milk sales of €320,000. Produced 550,000 litres. Received approx 58 cent a litre. Gross Profit (including stock sales/purchases and grants) of €370,000.

The following were his expenses. Feed - 91,000, Contractors - 11,000, Land Rent - 19,000, Insurance - 3,000, Diesel - 6,000, L/H & Phone - 11,000,

Accountancy - 1,800, Vets - 17,000, Bank Interest/Charges - 6,000, Sundries - 9,000. Total Costs of €234,800. Profit of €135,000 (€1,800 per cow)

The total cost of production per litre is therefore 42.5 cent a litre.

There are other smaller costs such as motor etc but lets keep things simple.

I would regard this farmer as very shrewd.

So, anyone saying 18 cent a litre is not being realistic. Now, these are last years figures. Obviously, the milk price has fallen. But the expenses do not appear to fallen anywhere as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Is tax included with above figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

To be honest, it’s only really one person saying 18c and he’s not even a dairy farmer so essentially disregard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You forgot about using the 50kg fertilizer bags as insulators, plate cooler packed in last month here and replacing it will be half a cent a litre alone for repairs, bord bia lad out the other day and have a open tank fenced with 5 foot sheep wire around the top walls, need to put 7ft security fencing around it in the next 30 days to pass audit, theirs another half a cent in repairs/maintenance, our in euro terms 12k out the gate, just to stand still and keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

Did any of the past auditors have a problem with the pit. Can you appeal that or is it a "law". It the perfect world could you put slats on it and roof it some time

Fertiliser of €60,000 was left out in breakdown but included in total cost figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Interestingly figures out today maybe for a non dairy farmer I might not have been too far wide of the mark. Probably a lot close than the high cost BSing that is going on.

Average dairy farm incomes last year are accessed to be 151k.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/average-dairy-farm-incomes-jump-to-150884-but-cattle-rearing-incomes-fall-to-9408/a653463852.html

It's interesting in that the average dairy herd is 90 cows. Assuming that the average herd is milking 5.3k litres. I think the average milk price last year was 62c/L giving a average cow cost of 31.5c/L.

Cow turnover= 0.62*5300=3286

Profit = 151k/90= 1677/cow

Cost/cow =3286-1677=1609

Cost/L=1609/5300= 30.4c*L.

Now I think as pulled up on a cost of 18c/L on an owned farm no borrowings and I gave that figure which might have been a bit low based on an 80-90 cow herd. We had lads saying that 35c/L would be the lowest

Here we have the average at near enough 30c/L accross all system. Assuming that some heavily geared systems with land rented, substantial borrowing's and labor costs are 20c/ L above that. It a fair assumption that a farmer with owned land that has used TAM's to support investment ( 80-100k every 5-6 years maybe double it if in a partnership with a son or daughter) and on decent lads as I indicated in my posts will be shaving 8-19c/ L off them costs.

The big question is it that including or excluding tax avoidance or lifestyle sending within the system.

The one thing I have always learned. Take no notice of an accountant figures they are for the taxman and the calculator never lies on averages

Slava Ukrainii

No farmer our family labour is taken into account (1.45 free labour units )our repayments of principal on loans, also only a tiny % of farms actually conduct the survey, it isn't the financial data of every dairy farm used in the country....

But never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Sorry but you seem to know things. What age can you pay a child who works on the farm a wage. That goes against taxable income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it 1.45 labour units and there is no charge there is no charge. You cannot have makey up costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭DBK1

Bass it’s ok to admit to not actually knowing everything about everything instead of trying to make up figures to make yourself sound right, we won’t think any less of you!

You just worked out the costs at 30.4 cent and then somehow managed to convince yourself that 30.4 is very close to the 18 you quoted.

You were 70% out, it probably wouldn’t have been possible to have been any further away without trying to be wrong!!

Teagasc are the only institution globally that don't include a labour charge when calculating dairy farm incomes their should be at least 60k of a allowance if working of 1.5 labour units and the headlines should be dairy farm incomes rose to 90k for 2022

The 150k is assuming average dairy farm size is 65ha, that can't be right nationally as a avergae and it also doesn't tally with your 80-90 cow calculations you probably need to half the 150k to 80k as cow numbers are more than likely at 150 plus on farms that "made" 150k....

They have ridiculous low levels used also re costs, they are actively going out of their way to lowball every single cost, also doesn't tally with them including high cost units like your alluding too to justify 18cent a litre cop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

You’ve clearly been bitten with a bit of white gold envy…your costings were and still are ridiculous.

As pointed out to you 30.5c/l is at the very low end of average costs for last year and would be an exception as opposed to the rule. I’m sure it doesn’t need to be pointed out to you the gap between 30 and 18…anyway you’re clearly looking for a reaction from members of the thread who more than likely the majority of which will be under pressure this year given the way it’s panned out and the burden of last years tax bill then to compound this.

Dairy farmers don’t need to listen to people like yourself pontificate that they will have a margin of 20c/l this year also…now that is BSing as you say.

Last year was an exceptional year this year has been the converse as if often the case with farming no matter you’re enterprise, swings and troughs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

You picked a great day to draw this up.yesterday I started at 630 and finished the morning jobs at 10.02.i landed back at 430 and to make a long story short had a few issues and finished up at 9. so that's 8 hrs work on my day off.I ve worked the last 3 Sundays with our own and other peoples grass and had a fine rough spring of it between one thing and another and now battling the drought.so I don't really give damn what we are supposed to be making, it's just not worth it.

Yes and if a few acres more came up long side you. How you would ring the auctioneer

Don't know why you feel the need to sneer at accountants either. The figures I gave in my example are genuine. I done the accounts myself. Everything in the accounts is backed up with receipts/invoices. The cost per litre is that case is higher due to the high rent paid for silage ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

You wouldn't eat to be going it for the money anyway. Just when everything starts to go well there is always something to crop up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Interesting fact about us.we have only rang an auctioneer about leasing land once and that was the first bit I ever took and still have. In fact the auctioneer rang the other day as the lease was up and said he had never been in a discussion before where the Tennant was offering more but the land Lord wasn't looking for it.to be fair rent has moved alot in the last 5 years.mostly people have approached us.

Agree …..crock of **** figures that have no place in public print …..those surveys should be binned by anyone that receives the.

Labour isn’t a makey up figure …..again anyone that divulges info to these bullshit surveys is doing a grave disservice to all farmers

Costing the guts of 17k a year for relief milkers doing 5 milkings a week here , in and out in 2 hours summer and 2 and a half winter as does cubicles and scraping up when cows housed, totally discounting your own labour our sons and daughters working on farm is a utter pisstake and no other industry would publish figured ommiting it

• Advertisement

💯 agree ….Pitt the powers that be in Tegasc and elsewhere that do these surveys can’t see it

Advertisement