Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well that's not ideal. Something must have happened behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if meath hurling people put a real plan in place over the next 5 years while at joe mcdonagh level there is no reason why ye cant make liam mccarthy level , when you look at kiltale and trim and what they have done in the leinster club championship against kilkenny and wexford teams is serious , those counties are picking inter county players from them clube

ye have a base of 16 clubs atleast that take there hurling serious , thats more then westmeath or carlow have at the moment , the base is there to get to the next level , i feel if yourselves or kildare made division one hurling over time and liam mccarthy level they could sustain it on a more regular basis then laois , westhmeath carlow have done over the last ten years , but it takes time

as for the tailtann cup , i think our wins over cork and limerick are the reason ye are down there , i like limerick they are deaccent enough i think themselves and yourselves have enough to win it out , the cavan supporters have convinced me lately that they have a bit still to do

As we can't meet Down, we'll be meeting a Leinster team in the quarter final. One of Laois, Carlow or Wexford (who surprisingly beat Offaly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yea any of them really, we’re all more or less the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Offaly were absolutely atrocious against Cavan in the last group game. I don’t know how Meath could have lost to them. They would have had very low morale after a 16 point hammering and also lost two players to straight reds, one being their captain.

With Fermanagh surprisingly losing to Laois, Meath now have a guaranteed easy route to a semi final clash in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

wexford it is then. Still owe them from the horrid 2008 game, a thing of nightmares

They really had our number back then. 2008 was horrific but they beat us out the gate in 2006. And then in 2007, we went into the last game in 2B knowing that we'd go up so long as Wexford didn't win by 9 or more. They won by 8 and we went up on points scored.

I know a group of Meath men were so upset after one of those Wexford games that they lifted a Wexford Strawberries sign on the journey home and brought it home to burn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

They had a really good team at the time, I remember them in the 05 League Final against Armagh after Monaghan bet us. Francie Bellew absolutely nailed Mattie Forde about ten minutes in! I think they got to an All Ireland Semi around then too?

Good performance against a woeful Wexford side. Was nice to be out of sight early and then keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Cavan and Limerick surprisingly beaten by Down and Laois respectively. Prospect of facing Andy McEntee's Antrim in the semi final next week if they beat Carlow tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Really good start yesterday, Morris, Lynch and McEntee were class and it just got us flying. You can definitely see there is an improvement in structure from the league too which is good. Also good that Colm was also able to get lads off early for a rest etc. I know Wexford weren't great but the games and time together will hopefully stand to us. I'd also rather be playing that type of game than being in Portloaise today shipping 30 points of a beating to Kerry.

The competition is wide open now, especially with Cavan out, so it would be a good one to win. I think we get Antrim in the semi final though.

Right you are. Would have rathered Laois simply to avoid Andy McEntee. We really should have enough to get over them but McEntee will definitely have his team up for this one from the off so we'll need to start like we did on Saturday.

Down looked very good at times against Cavan and they should have too much for Laois. If we did get over Antrim, I'd expect them to be favourites. They left the last group game behind them with their wides.

Just about got over the line but, yet again, another long spell without scoring in the second half which brought Antrim back into it. Think we brought Lynch and McEntee off too soon. We seemed to finally be motoring and were in a position to put the game to bed but then sat back and let Antrim back.

Hard to know how good Down are. Laois were abysmal and we likely would have put up a similar score. But they'll surely be better up front than the group game where they kicked it away. We're underdogs, but it would be a decent end to an underwhelming season to go unbeaten in this competition.

Down are good. They’re physical and move the ball very quickly. They have a real edge to them. Like Kilcoo, they’re out to win matches and not make friends.

I think it’ll be a close game but I’ll be very impressed with O’Rourke of Meath manage to beat them.

Down have a vastly experienced panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

down were smart , the watched the limerick v laois game back and concentrated on their weakness , killian roche is from my own neck of the woods the laois goalkeeper , he made somthing like 5 point blank saves in the win over limerick

down smelt blood and went for the kill from the start , i dont think that will happen again , and i think it will be a cracking final , great to see two traditional power houses of the game take this competition seriously

Meath really struggled with the high ball today. Down went for the jugular against Cavan mixing their running game with high balls in on top of Havern & their mids who drifted into the FF position from time to time.

Going on the evidence of how Meath struggled with it today, I’d expect an aerial bombardment from the off in the final.

Taking James Mc off was a bit soon I thought at the time. When he moved inside at half time he was getting serious joy. I don't think it helped either that some of the forwards had terrible shot selections meaning a heap of bad wides. At least twice a wide was kicked in the second half when there was a runner on an overlap for either a goal chance or a handy point. Good to be in the final though, it will take an improvement though to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath match fixed as curtain raiser to dunvlimy. Absolute disaster will watch this from home now. When will the gaa realise Meath fans want nothing to do with Dublin.

Bit extreme that RoyalCelt given how many of them live among us! Would've preferred Kerry v Derry simply because I dont think that will sell out. I would imagine aside from the usual big crowd Dublin bring, Monaghan will have huge demand too. It could sell out as a stand alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

That's the absolute worst and loosest excuse I've ever seen for someone to not attend a national final to support their county.

Just say you're a fair weather fan and can't be bothered with the TC. At least be honest with yourself.

At least the team and majority of fans have embraced the competition, like Laverty and Down. Success breeds success and more games this year should set them up for a better year next year.

• Advertisement

I'm in an important meeting tomorrow when tickets go on sale and no doubt they'll be gone. But regardless I'm far from the only Meath fan who hates nothing more then playing are matches as a double header with a Dublin game. It's happened way too often and this particular one is completely unnecessary.

Why are they making it hard for Meath and down fans to get tickets for a second tier national final FFS. The very next day there Will be plenty of space in croker. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

I don't think it'll sell out. Might go close as the day gets closer but there will be tickets available into next week.

You don't have to stay on and watch the dublin game, you can leave after the final.

It's always easier to make excuses instead of going to support your team in a competition you seem to have no interest in.

Order them through your club and you can collect when suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Anybody who wants to go will get a ticket without much bother .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Few panicked moments earlier on the Ticketmaster website, got through and then as I was clicking to pay I got booted out!

Luckily got back in and got my tickets.

Wonder how many from Meath / Down got tickets?

It would be a shame if the stadium was 'empty' for the match and then fans of the 2 other teams wandering in throughout the second half. I'd hope a large Meath crowd will go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

It's an absolute joke of a fixture. Should have been the day after.

@dunnerc 3..2..1 before this boyo cries about my whinging.

Correct more whinging from RoyalCelt , this boyo is something else !

The only thing sadder then a whinger is a guy who goes around whinging about him.

• Advertisement

Advertisement