Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Butson

I'd say Clare and Tipp would love to play in Croke Park. Dublin have used it all season and Galway have already played 2 games there this year.

I think it would suit everybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

A huge part of it is squad depth in my opinion. They need more of the likes of Adam English coming through next year to be a bit of competition to the established 17/18 lads on the team. Those 17/18 are phenomenal hurlers but they need lads to come up a bit to that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

As a total neutral here, people have short memories about JP and the money he donated to every county a couple of years back and a lot of clubs were delighted to get it. Limerick success is built on good underage structures and the two men over the team are best management team at the moment and couple of years ago if was the Dubs and Jim Gavin was the pet hate, teams come in cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Galway and Antrim play in the Leinster Championship. Leinster Championship is not exactly sacrosanct and unimpeachable.

Thurles would have been ideal for such a game. A packed Semple beats a half empty Croke Park every day of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Relevant to the potential outcome of the game coming up. Thought that would've been obvious. The thread is about the 2023 championship unless I've missed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still makes every one of those decisions including the last one wrong

Since when did 3rd man tackles cease to be penalised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Hardly a team for the ages with no silverware.

Could be gone early next year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, and age profile would suggest that like Gavin's Dublin (which it was said by some to be down to money but has now been disproven) Limerick's team will decline and will not be easily replaced by similar players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Galway played Kilkenny in Thurles in the 2018 Leinster final replay

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

Exactly this. They've just been very fortunate that so many excellent natural hurlers came through at the same age group. A once in a generation team that you have to admire. Gillane was unplayable yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I think we're in good shape for another final appearance, while taking nothing for granted in the meantime.

Heart would love to see TJ get one more medal. I don't think he'll go another year one way or another. Head says we're still not quite there yet though. But who knows, on any given day.

So Limerick's to lose from here on. They won't for the rest of the year be as average - by their standards - as they have thus far.

It'll be all the sweeter for them knowing they'll have done it thanks to Tipperary, the one Cauldronite faction that they all love hate - practically donating them a Munster final appearance, and plenty R&R between matches now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd agree with all of that, apart from Clare being poor yesterday. You can't be just a point off it and be poor. Fine margins. A lot to admire about Clare yesterday but, yes, they got some things wrong on the line and could have been way better in terms of execution. But I think calling them poor yesterday is harsh. Without Cleary, I thought the margin of loss would have been greater.

In order to get to the top table you've got to learn from your mistakes and be clinical. That's the next stage Clare have to get up to. Can they learn from last year? Can they be more clinical? Last year and this year so far, says no. But there's always the next game. Remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Have a look at their teams for the 2015 & 2017 under 21 all ireland finals. Amazing how many players they brought through from those teams.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Obviously not to members of the Munster cult but it just might be important to leinster people ro play leinster matches bin leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

Very true Mantis. Every time they go out on the field they're ready to plough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,885 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I couldn’t help but notice Donal Og was at it again making a snide remark about Leinster Hurling on TSG. Something about how ‘we thought the Leinster Final would be the reading room equivalent’ I don’t think it is a ‘put on act’ with him. It is just in his nature, can’t help himself. And any praise he gives Leinster is through gritted teeth. Awful attitude. Pity - as he is a good technical analyst.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Poor might be harsh alright, although certainly a few of their players and their management did not have a good outing.

Unlike last year where they threw everything at Limerick twice and didn't win, this time they did get a win in the round-robin and they will know they can play better than they did yesterday, so mentally they might be in a better situation going into the knockouts than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Probably wouldn't hurt if TSG freshened things up at this stage. HE is there a while now. Unfortunately he is probably there for life.

He is the Joe Brolly of hurling.

Donal Og wasn’t that bad when he started? Not much sensationalist stuff.

What annoys me is that he rarely gets challenged for it - Jacqui Hurley is a very non confrontational presenter. Sort of like how Des Cahill was.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I think that he is excellent. Really promotes hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes just watched it now. Just a needless thing to say. Maybe Donal Og was expecting a much lesser affair in the Leinster final but i certainly wasn't and doubt many were. Kilkenny v Galway have thrown up many great games i was looking forward to that as much as the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

I think he's a bitter person. All that stuff that went on in Cork in the 2000s, the strikes etc. His default mode is antagonistic.

He's always making a cut at someone. When he made the comment that in 2019 that counties who opposed or didn't use the sweeper system at that time (Kilkenny) were showing signs of residual colonial oppression I lost all respect for him.

And to make myself clear it's not an anti Cork or Munster thing. I've great time for Donal O'Grady's analysis on TG4, JBM, Sean Og and many other Cork stars.

In Anthony Daly's bio he states that in the 1999 Munster final parade Cusack was roaring over at Clare '3 27'. At first Daly thought he was making sure everyone knew the time. He then realised that he was shouting 3 Clare All Irelands to Cork's 27 at that time. That's the type of arrogance and mentality you're dealing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

It's this type of cribbing about Donal Og that left us with a load of milquetoast pundits who wouldn't say boo to a goose, and are shackled by schoolmistress hosts.

The funny part about that story is Daly is the most self deprecating sort of fella. And wants to see everyone in hurling do well. Seems very genuine in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

If you want to focus on that last play of the game, there were a number of decisions that could have been called:

74.09 O'Donoghue shoots a wide. 4 indicated minutes added time up, with no further stoppages having occurred. Blow full time whistle.

75.18 Quilligan takes puck out several metres outside small rectangle. Throw ball in on 20m line.

75.25 O'Donnell attempts to play ball, misses and knocks Byrnes over. Limerick free.

75.27 Casey frontal charge on Kelly. Clare free.

75.35 Morey throws ball to Hogan. Limerick free.

75.38 Hogan collides with O'Donoghue. Free either way depending on whether you call it charging by Hogan or holding/pull down by O'Donoghue.

True. Some of the pundits like sound of their voices. Tyrrell on Conor Whelan was ridiculous too.

Ursula is the best of them nearly. And she can't be accused of liking the sound of her own voice!

Liam Sheedy is decent too. I don't think he holds any grudges.

Will we ever see Cyril Farrell as a once off.. Like his contemporaries Donal O'Grady and Pat Fleury are still on TG4. Kinda ageist from RTE. There was no image promotion with them compared to some of the younger crew. Tomas Mulcahy gone years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Completely agree.

Complaining about 1 decision just because it's the last one is pointless.

On top of everything on that list I think the ref should have blown it up when it was clear Clare were not in possession.

A few bad misses and an on fire Gillane is why Clare lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I thought at the time when T Kelly got onto a breaking ball deep into injury time he should have tried to burst towards goal and create a goal chance. Looked like he had a bit of space. Time was almost up. I could see someone like TJ Reid going for the jugular in that same scenario. He took the safe option (sensible some may say).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Waterford's Michael Ryan absolutely stuck one on Davy today, using Davy's own logic. He said that Darragh Egan and Wexford are suffering under the emotional baggage of the previous management regime.

Advertisement