Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pavard has been a liability in defence any time I’ve seen him play, really hope those rumours are just that.

If we have some decent money to spend, we should be looking at someone along the lines of Marcos Llorente instead. A player who can play at the highest level in midfield or at right back, pretty much a direct replacement for Henderson.

Having lost Milner, we’re crying out for a proper utility player in the squad. Llorente might be a bit too expensive for us but someone who can cover for Trent is vital to the way we play, I’m sure there are other players out there who could manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well I'd agree about the balance of the team when he played his hybrid role. I would advocate getting another RB to play while Moving Trent to midfield as opposed to continuing with this hybrid role. I'd imagine stronger teams would destroy us with Trent playing the hybrid role. I just think keeping him at RB means we lose so much of what he is capable of. All those lovely little dink forward passes into the box to onrushing forwards was such a weapon and one that we never really seen any of our actual midfielders even try let alone pull off, not even Thiago.

When he is RB he may well get further forward but the final ball is always a cross whereas he has the ability and courage to do so much more. Courage to try things is a very under rated attribute imo and Trent has too much of it if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well, knowing he can do it and appreciating having the option, especially Vs the low block, is something we can agree on.

Until we are linked with a RB, it doesn't seem to be what Klopp is thinking.

I definitely don't wanna see him there with a hole in RB like some edited Pro Evo formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Don't read too much into the report. Bayern told Pavard he wasn't getting a contract extension following the sacking of Kahn and Salihamidzic. His response was to tell them he wanted to leave this summer and his agent has since been trying to find a club that will meet Bayern's €30M valuation.

The club screwed themselves in terms of their footing in transfer negotiations with any perspective buyers after they announced that they were cancelling all ongoing contract negotiations after the departures of Kahn and Salihamidzic. It means that the summer transfer window is their final opportunity to get a reasonable fee for the likes of Pavard and Inter Milan's offer of €20M for him in January is probably the best they can realistically expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ox apparently close to signing with Villa is the news this evening, along with Yoiri Teillemens.

Good luck to the Ox, I hope he keeps healthy, but very risky deal for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Couldn't agree more, Pavard is an awful defender!!! I honestly don't know what he could add to us in the department and we would be paying him a large wedge in wages too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Keita played in 18 league games in 19/20, the league winning season; started 9 and came on as a sub in 9. Funnily enough he only played in 9 league games before lockdown ( mixture of starts and sub appearances) and 9 league games after the lockdown (mixture of starts and sub appearances) as we all know the league was long won well before lockdown, the part of the season Keita contributed the least, so, he really wasn't a vital player in winning the league. Played more after the lockdown when the games weren't of much significant, also only completed 90 mins on one occasion during the league that season.

He came to Liverpool with huge fanfare, but, didn't live up to expectations, there's a decent player in him, but, he will be remembered by most people as a flop at Liverpool.

It would appear that Borussia Monchengladbach has priced Manu Kone to sell at €30M but he's not on Liverpool's list at present.

It will be interesting to see how Oxlade-Chamberlain gets on at Villa. Will he have a role in the team or is he likely to be an experienced player that fills a homegrown player requirement? It's hard to see how he could be considered for a place in their lineup but Ashley Young is gone and Oxlade-Chamberlain might be open to adopting as backup for that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

I hope he gets some game time for them. Ox was just starting to play some great football for us before his unfortunately timed injury. He’s just never been the same player since he came back from that injury.

I have trouble believing that such a move is happening with a view to him playing regularly. Their squad is stacked with players that would be expected to play before him in midfield: Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Kamara, Dendonker & Tielemans. Bailey, Buendia, Traore and even Coutinho offer more in the wide positions.

Perhaps Villa are going to repeat our trick and ship Coutinho off to Saudi Arabia for a pot of money. 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

There were some reports to the contrary yesterday but I don’t think we (Villa fan) are going to sign him and tbh despite him being decent I wouldn’t want him due to his fitness record and what we have already have in midfield.

would love to move on coutinho too, he’s not the same lad that played for you guys.

The major difference was that Klopp's Liverpool at the time created chaos for the opponents to deal with. The front three of Mane, Firmino and Salah were the ultimate platform for Coutinho. The highlight reels will show Coutinho conjuring things out of virtually nothing but a lot of his opportunities were created by the movement of the front players. Barcelona thought they were signing a trickster which he never was, Klopp's system created the space for him to deliver but even then he didn't do it consistently and there was some debate about what he delivered in the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Unlucky with injuries, when he was fit we almost won the quad, he played 40 games last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If he's going on loan then Bradley would get the back up spot after his excellent loan spell last season?

Bradley should also go on loan to the Championship for the season. He needs to mature a bit before he'll be ready for the Premier League.

Ward-Prowse for 50m . Paper will print anything, why would Liverpool pay 50m for a 29 year old relegated midfielder

More likely that Southampton are hoping for a pay day transfer offer. In the past 3/4 days he has been linked with potential moves to Brighton, Newcastle, Tottenham, West Ham and Wolves. If he does move it'll be later in the transfer window when the club are more likely to be willing to listen to reasonable offers, £25-30M should be the limit.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take him for free, not the level we need, we need a midfield Rolls Royce, not a Nissan Micra

Surely he’d be a Honda Civic? He’s great on corners.

I doubt very much that Liverpool were ever in for him, but the fact that we still haven't completed the midfield overhaul makes it a very easy story to produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

His freekicks alone are worth 30 mil.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Aye, but Trent's are priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still waiting on Virgil taking a free kick for us, remember seeing a compilation of a few he knocked in during his Celtic days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I feel I've seen him take one for us in the past and it wasn't good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm just glad we're past the days of Salah attempting free kicks, not sure he ever got close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Is reddit down or is the soccer and Liverpool sub-reddit gone private? Can't access both.

Much prefer the discussions on boards but it's just not getting the traffic lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's a blackout on some of the subs, they're protesting something, I haven't been paying that much attention

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You reckon there's any chance of us going after Declan Rice? Probably outside our budget now I'm guessing.

Very little chance of it, even if we had the money he apparently has very little interest in moving to a club away from London. He will be some singing for Arsenal if he ends up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Would be a massive signing for Arsenal. He would really evaluate them. Having him behind Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard would be massive for them. I still think they lack a lot of X factor players but Rice is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Love Rice but can't see FSG paying that sort of fee.

I follow a guy on Twitter who claims insider knowledge of Arsenal and is quoting a fee of £92m, dunno if he's full of it or not but I guess we will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Missing out on the gossip and rumours today due to Reddit blackouts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's a reddit wide protest over the pricing for third party access (essentially apps other than the main Reddit one). Ads dominate the main app but third party's had them blocked and now they will close due to pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Rice would be the perfect signing for Liverpool's midfield IMO. Why are we not going for him I wonder although I agree 92 million is a lot. Arsenal seem to be learning from Liverpool's lack of activity after pushing city close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same reason we didnt go for Bellingham in the end, we need numbers in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

No Champions League football cant be helping us either in the transfer market

I don’t think it’s an issue at all tbh. Klopp is the draw, and anything else is secondary. There’s no way we’d have landed Fabinho, Alisson and VVD under Rodgers even if we had Champions League football every season.

Look back at the one season we did qualify under Rodgers. Our biggest signings were Lallana, Lovren and Balotelli that summer, after losing the best striker in the world to Barcelona and being snubbed by Alexis Sanchez to replace him.

As Klopp said himself, the type of player that wouldn’t join us purely because we aren’t in the UCL are players we wouldn’t be interested in to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We've don't really shop in that market anyway, players we sign are looking to make the jump to the next level. For most signing for a big PL club like Liverpool is a jump up and of course you have the draw of Klopp.

The club was in a completely different place when Rogers was in charge, at the time we had just had an unexpected title tilt and we really couldn't compete in the market. We wouldn't have signed Fabinho, Alison or VVD if the club didn't pay the fees, ( at the time we probably overpaid for both VVD and Alison, but, they have since shown they were value for money). No matter how big a draw Klopp is, if the club can't or aren't willing to match the selling clubs fee, it doesn't matter a jot.

Don't be fooled by the line that players that won't join because we are not in the CL are players we are not interested in, that's spin put out by the club and Klopp to deflect from them not being able to get certain targets, it's also a tactic to lower fans expectations of potential signings. The best players want to play in the CL and if a player is moving this summer he will likely choose a CL club over a non CL club. Don't forget that the club seemed very confident of signing Bellingham and as the reality of CL football started to slip away our changes dwindled too, until suddenly signing Bellingham was no longer an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah I agree, this Klopp is the main attraction and if player doesn't come then 'we didn't want them anyway' is completely overplayed in my opinion. Klopp is definitely a factor but the best players want to join Champions League clubs (which makes our relative inactivity in recent transfer windows all the more baffling).

If Arsenal sign rice and caicedo then we'd be doing very well to finish above them. Not to mention the Newcastle and United situations and of course the juggernaut that is City. Suddenly we're no longer a shoe in for the top 4 even if we can overcome our worst-in-class injury profile of the season just gone.

McAllister is a great signing but we need another two starters in midfield and one in defence to challenge for the league IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only if England are in the top 2 of Coefficient for the season and with 8 teams in Europe if any of them have a bad season it will bring England's points down

If Arsenal get Caicedo and Rice across the line it would be a very difficult task for us to get ahead of them next season, unless we have the summer transfer window of a life time!

Rodgers wasn't much of a draw. Klopp is a massive draw. A proven winner that takes players to the next level.

To get the opportunity to play under him wouid be the envy of a lot of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You can only field 11 players, so if they get those 2, it means others miss out. They're good, but not that good.

So are we aiming for top 5 now or trying to mount a title challenge?

100m for Rice is way to much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement