Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Fully agree. The crowd throught the same given the lack of applause after that score. He had space to take a few steps closer to goal and get a shot away. Who knows what might have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

We've come to expect such big things from the games best players. That's why they are the greats of the game. Like Kelly's last gasp sideline in last years Munster final. He's no ordinary player but he took the ordinary option. There definately was space to run and bring a Limerick back or two towards him where he may have been able to get a pass off and create that goal chance they needed. Clare had the legs at that moment. Even on the tv you could hear a gasp from the crowd when he broke onto the ball. He wasn't having his best day but it was set up for him to weave one last bit of magic and steal the game. That's what the greats do and that's why i was surprised he took the safe option.

Cillian Buckley's match winning goal will go down as one of the biggest smash and grabs in hurling history. The only similiar goal i remember is Michael Jacob v the cats in 2004 into that same goal when Cody hit the deck in shock. There was no time to recover. The best way to win. Unbearable for the losers. It's nice for Cillian Buckley who has suffered with form and injuries to now take a place on the mantlepiece of legendary Kilkenny moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Yeah, delighted for Cillian, hasn't had an easy road the last few years, and you could see how much it meant to him in the interview afterwards. He was very composed on the ball, took his chance.

I remember 2004 only too well, killer blow. Happened to Ballyhale against Ballygunner in last years Club final too. Cruel way to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Cillian Buckley's match winning goal will go down as one of the biggest smash and grabs in hurling history.

It will haunt Galway forever more, that clip will be replayed for years to come.

Mr Bean hurling at its finest in the Galway defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Given that teams travel to Belfast and Salthill to play provincial championship games in Leinster a pretence at provincial pride about the venue for the final is as laughable as is it late.

I think you're overplaying it. It mattered in that it makes life much handier for the winners but unless they win the All Ireland it'll quickly be superceded by other events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,825 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Dublin and Tipp come out of the QFs would the semis be Limerick vs Dublin and Kilkenny vs Tipp

Cuts out repeat pairings and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

Tony Doran 1984 last minute goal v Kilkenny in the Leinster semi 20 years before was one too.

Tipp minor v Offaly 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Winning a first provincial in 5 years is a pretty big deal for any team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I think so. Teams that have already played each other in the provincial championships are kept apart if possible.

It'll be some shock if Dublin reached that stage!

Speaking about the Sunday Game, do many remember Liz Howard Tipperary, 1979 to about 1984?

It really makes a mockery of those questioning female pundits on men's gaelic games as something novel and woke. To consider a main analyst was female in 1979.

I was under the impression Kilkenny had won this in the last five years?

Dublin beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny. Dublin drew with Galway who scored one point less than Kilkenny over two matches. Would Dublin beating Clare really be such a big shock? Form suggests if they play well they have a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,885 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is not the point at all when Donal is challenged on his comments he crumbles, but more often than not his comments go unchallenged - unchecked and allows Donal to do or say what he likes without having to give any basis to his comments.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cork County Board pushing for a QF in PUC is pretty hilarious and shows they couldn't care less about inconveniencing supporters. Just put this is context they want 1 of Galway v Tipp, Galway v Offaly, Clare v Dublin or Clare v Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Rosita, are you saying that a Leinster team might actually have a chance against a Munster team?! 😱😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes it would be a shock.

Beating Wexford who beat Kilkenny means nothing and same for Galway in a match where Galway were through.

It would be a shock but at the same time people talking like Clare are already through or equally that Dublin are already through to play Clare should be careful.

Yeah, why not? It's the predictability of the top two in Leinster and the associated advantage they have that's the issue with Leinster. Galway beat Cork last year. Kilkenny beat Clare. Why would you think it's odd that Dublin might have a chance?

Obviously Cork who won one game in Munster scored 40 points on Westmeath in recent years. That tells you all you need to know about the Leinster championship but the All Ireland series is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,885 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was at that 2004 game and missed the fecking goal - because the crowd jumped up ahead of me. That still annoys me. It came from nowhere Kilkenny were coasting from what I remember.

I think I was at it because the Dubs were in the minor hurling. It was the start of the slow Dublin improvement.

--

Mannion hoofing the sliothar was funny the last day - the poor fecker will have to relive that for the rest of his life. It will always be remembered, and replayed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

It's not really worth thinking too much about what he means.

A lot if it is just posturing in an attempt to seem not analytical, but actually, intellectual. A dead-end form of pretentiousness even if he were equipped for it.

It's all a relic of the 'Real Capital' siege mentality of the group from his playing era - the 'our world vs their world' wristbands, the '3-27', John Allen's painful newspaper jottings.

And of course... always with the 'Cauldronism'.

But Munster hurling, being the opposite of 'Reading Room' is... what then ? Tabloid, perhaps ? Ephemeral Sensationalism ?

Perhaps it is, in the words of the Bard of Avon...

''Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.''

• Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5.

😎

Goodnight all, from The Reading Room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

Folks taking umbrage about a throwaway joke. Sensitive souls, bless 'em.

If it was one throwaway fair enough but that lad is always belittling somebody.

Most recently the gaelic footballers playing in the Tailteann Cup, who he was supposed to represent as GPA president. When Cantwell confronted him on it he kept ducking and diving 'don't misquote me'. He was perfectly quoted but hadn't the balls to stand by his comments.

Calling Kilkenny players Stepford Wives because they wouldn't pull down their socks and get involved in all the Cork BS which had nothing to do with Kilkenny.

In Brian Corcoran's bio he tells how Cusack rang him everyday for 3 mts after the 2006 All Ireland wondering how they lost as they were the better team. Pure deluded. He's away from reality in his fanatical, emotional, mythical hurling land in the sky with Cuchulainn, Ring, Mackey reciting hurling poetry with a trembling bottom lip and the odd tear.

Very good 😄 After the first month of daily phonecalls i think Corcoran would have been in his right to enable the block option.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

If Donal Og could stop with the cheap shots i actually like him as a pundit. He is one of the better ones on RTE.

Your 'associated advantage' is all in your mind.

It relies too much on your previously-stated assumption that there is no evidence that a 'battle-hardened' outfit has any kind of advantage.

'No evidence...' Whereas, in fact, there is a Reading Room full of received wisdom that goes along the lines that 'one championship match = ten training sessions'. It makes perfect common sense, but of course you know better.

While you stated that as a general rule, you then gave a terrible example. As I pointed out to you, Clare weren't 'battle-hardened', they were 'battle-fatigued'. Probably mentally, at least as much as physically.

In spite of that specific case, the problem with your faulty logic still remains as follows - correlation is not cause.

In other words, you would have to prove that any eg Kilkenny All-Ireland victory was in any way attributable to a benefit we have accrued from your Cauldronite tribal squabbles on the way.

And you certainly cannot prove that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Was at that game as a neutral and in the crowd you could sense something was on as Kilkenny were easing up and Wexford had held on all day as second best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The GPA president was doing much for the weaker county players with his comments, my understanding is the GPA is for all players in both codes. He gets away with too many off the cuff comments and under his reign what’s has he done for the players on the ground, previous presidents were know and visual.

• Advertisement

"Associated advantage" is all in my head? Of course. These are opinions. Nearly everything said here is in people's heads. What's wrong with that? Most opinions are by definition probably not independently verifiable. Otherwise they wouldn't be opinions.

Though in this case it would be interesting to see if bookmakers agree with the implication that there is no associated advantage to being in a semi-final rather than a quarter final. Whose odds are shorter now I wonder, Galway's or Kilkenny's? Their two games have shown there's little or nothing between them so their odds, logically, should be the same if there is no "associated advantage".

As for "correlation is not cause" and "cauldronite tribal squabbles" (what even is this?) - what load of important-sounding nonsense. I think you're trying too hard to come across all intellectual and talking through your hat in the process.

Advertisement