Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’ve read his Wikipedia page so you know the basics. The Johnson’s didn’t and still don’t have any money. Unless you can point it out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

At Eton he was as entitled as ever:

Martin Hammond, who was Johnson’s housemaster and taught him classics, spotted early on that the prime minister showcased a certain irresponsibility and inattention to facts.

Writing of him in a school report in April 1982, he said: “Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies . . . Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for next half): I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/letter-to-boris-johnsons-dad-from-eton-college-resurfaces-online-and-it-explains-a-lot-2-271549/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

delete

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apparently Johnson's supposed passion for the classics, literature and history, is largely put on, along with virtually everything else about the man, or at least heavily amped up for public consumption.

About a decade ago, Seldon, who is a governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company, began an informal programme with David Cameron’s government that sought to provide for the present incumbents of the highest office some history of No 10 itself and their predecessors there. He staged a series of talks from prominent historians, as well as performances of Shakespeare in the rose garden...

When Johnson came to power Seldon hoped the programme might continue – Johnson did after all have a lucrative contract to write a book about Shakespeare. There was no interest whatsoever. “Covid made things difficult obviously,” he says, “but we did come in. Johnson never once showed up. As [his school reports showed] he had no deep interest in any classical history, language or literature or Shakespeare. His examples were always for show. At his heart, he is extraordinarily empty.... 

Now I've read/watched a few of Johnson's books & documentaries and you'd have to say he's clever and eloquent enough to fake it pretty convincingly but still it's dispiriting that there's apparently nothing authentic about the man...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If Johnson was working class, he'd be homeless. He comes from privilege and that's the sole reason that he isn't.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Boris" gesture to ' the common people ".

The honours list has been a joke for a long time now.

It should never be party political.

Anthony Seldon sounds vengeful for what happened with Johnson more than anything else.

Johnson can speak fluent French and Italian, not something you can "fake" if you aren't interested in language. I've watched Johnson debate matters of the classics against learned opponents, and that's not something you can just pull off at a moment's notice. Johnson has written many successful and well written books on history - again, not something you can casually fake whenever it suits.

I could go on, but stretching back to school reports as a means of discrediting what Johnson has achieved in the real world is nothing short of desperate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. It's a bit like The Big Bang Theory. There's a few references to this Greek tragedy or Cicero or whatever but ultimately, he's just another entitled Tory careerist.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

I’m of the mind to put Johnson’s desire to write about The Great Bard into the same category as his book on Churchill.

It could very well be that he has a genuine interest in those 2 historical figures, but based on what we’ve seen of Johnson I feel like it’s more of a branding exercise designed to put his name right beside a couple of very famous and well regarded Britons. That and cash from book sales I guess….

I must wonder, beyond Boris’ fan club, who would buy book on Churchill written by Boris, when scores of actual historians have likely made better books on that famous wartime PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Max Hastings (Johnson's former boss) has written extensively and is very knowledgable on Churchill had this to say of his former employee:

I have known Johnson since the 1980s, when I edited the Daily Telegraph and he was our flamboyant Brussels correspondent. I have argued for a decade that, while he is a brilliant entertainer who made a popular maître d’ for London as its mayor, he is unfit for national office, because it seems he cares for no interest save his own fame and gratification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've always felt he is the biggest spoofer in British politics and is actually unintelligent. He is a terrible interviewee, inarticulate and can barely even string a sentence together. No way does he sound like a well read man or an intellectual - throwing out a few phrases in Latin in a posh accent is a effectively a big con job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Keeping also in mind that time he car-crashed a press conference into the benefits of making Britain like “Peppa Pig World”

He might have thought using a reference from his toddler’s TV viewing was a clever escape but came across as a desperate gambit devoid of any real planning.

(Also Peppa Pig World is a bizarre hellscape where everyone lives on hills and the entire economy depends on one over-worked rabbit. Was he paying any attention to that show?)

I disagree. I think it was genuine.

The Boris persona was invented by Johnson to compensate for his lack of ethics, work ethic and inability to work. It worked far too well and he's never had to grow as a person as a result because he fails upwards. He comes out with stuff like his Peppa Pig World speech simply because it's all he knows. It worked marvellously before he showed us his true colours in 2016. He was on course to be the next Ken Clarke, the only Tory it's ok to like.

The Boris shtick now fails utterly because the whole country now sees him as the deceitful, venal, abusively adulterous tumour that he is. He danced and parties while tens of thousands of Britons died of covid and now he gets to nominate more privileged nobodies to the House of Lords.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysus. Do none of them pay for their own haircuts?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

A family who were able to buy a 500 acre farm in the fifties. But yeah, no money. Sure it was probably won by playing cards in a club or something.

As to the name of the thread, yeah, possibly he's next for the toaster.

House of cards stuff. Sunak should just say "f*ck this for a game of soldiers" and quit and enjoy his money.

Sunak has no chance at the next election.

I admire him from a personal standpoint, as Sunak is a man who came from a relatively modest middle class upbringing to the kind of success he enjoyed at a relatively young age.

But the Conservative Party is tainted, irrespective of who is at the helm.

The only question, to me at least, is how large the Labour majority is set to be.

Sunak was born in Southampton to parents of Indian descent who immigrated to Britain from East Africa in the 1960s. He was educated at Winchester College, studied philosophy, politics and economics at Lincoln College, Oxford, and earned an MBA from Stanford University in California as a Fulbright Scholar. During his time at Oxford University, Sunak undertook an internship at Conservative Central Office (now Conservative Campaign Headquarters), and joined the Conservative Party. After graduating, Sunak worked for Goldman Sachs and later as a partner at the hedge fund firms The Children's Investment Fund Management and Theleme Partners.

Sunak's parents were immigrants; one a pharmacist, the other a GP.

Many children of that upbringing do modestly well in society. Sunak was a minority, a person who strove for massive success. Many people are born to Sunak's background, but a vanishingly small number attain the level of success that Sunak has attained.

That aside, my central point remains valid - namely, that even with Sunak at the helm, the Conservative Party is doomed at the next election. The only thing Sunak can do is reduce the Labour majority by a couple of seats.

The actual outcome of the next election is almost certainly, a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Rishi's father in law owns Infosys, they create Central Banking Digital Currency. Rishi's only dying to bring that into the UK and get rid of that pesky paper money. He's also a member of WEF.

What does WEF love, but CBDC's.

But there's nothing to see here folks, go ahead any keep looking at celebrities and their scandals.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so the usual. Not a modest background at all. Good luck esky.

I'm aware of conspiracy theories that invariably involve the WEF.

When that kind of thing emerges, I just don't even bother. I have no interest in conspiracy theories. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Well your posts are improving so far as you didn't refer to his parents as "human cargo".

Do you think anyone else here reads what you write and take it seriously after you hit the post comment button?

Hey look, before you scramble to the moral highground, do you actually disagree with what I said?

That aside, my central point remains valid - namely, that even with Sunak at the helm, the Conservative Party is doomed at the next election. The only thing Sunak can do is reduce the Labour majority by a couple of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Yes I do disagree with you calling immigrants "human cargo"

Not really interested in the rest of your post as I said before I'm not into pigeon chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thing is nothing I've said is conspiracy theory. His dad in law owns Infosys, Rishis a big fan of CBDCs. He's also a member of WEF. WEF are all for using CBDCs.

Oh and we're all being run ragged by lizard people (see that is conspiracy stuff! 😁)

Loves em he does:

Member he is:

Love em they do:

https://www.weforum.org/events/world-economic-forum-annual-meeting-2022/sessions/central-bank-digital-currencies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They are only doomed in so far as they have no ability to solve the problems they created and in many cases exacerbated.

Had they any real concern for the country they would take this opportunity to start a proper movement to fix things. Be open about what the NHS needs, be open about the need for taxes to pay for investment in infrastructure and doctors pay. Be open about Lords reform, voting reform.

Sunak could lead that charge. Yes he would lose, but he might actually make a difference.

Instead he has chosen to put party in front of everything. To try to keep people like Johnson onside. By allowing the likes of Braverman to be in government, to focus his government on boats instead of fishermen.

And that's before we get into the dodgy effects of his financial decisions. Which seem to have a habit of being profitable to his family.

So while it may be true that whatever he dies he may lose, that is to give him a massive about of leeway for what he could do to make people's lives better in the time he actually has.

Against such a weak opposition leader nothing is certain, except that opting to simply carry on as before but with a nicer suit is not the answer

Sunak's just an opportunist who married into wealth. There's nothing worth respecting there. His legacy will reflect this. Cronyism, strife, factionalism and corruption all abound under his watch. He'll either be ousted by his own party or by the electorate. Either one's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The most recent polling, following the May local elections across the UK, suggest that Labour would still fall short of an overall majority.

People are fed up with the Tories for many different reasons, including reasons that aren't going to send the Little Englanders voting for Labour in a million years.

The biggest increase in vote next time round, will be the cohort that don't vote at all.

• Advertisement

Whenever the WEF and "financial control" are brought into the equation, it's fairly obvious which racist conspiracy theories are being directly referred to.

I have no time for it. That's my last word on the matter.

Advertisement