Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To remove or not to remove

• 12-06-2023 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 2009 Ducato and the previous owner indicated to me that they had used expanding foam under the floor board. Is this enough insulation or should I take the floor up and do a proper insulation??

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Given that thickness in the space is limited, the only variable is the thermal conductivity difference between the XF and whatever you have in mind as a replacement.

I suspect the XF was used due to awkward spaces but if not then well fitted wood-fibre insulation will be a better option but won't be cheap

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A little late to this particular party, but I'll assume you haven't had a fit of mania and done all the work in a week. :-)

Sounds like you're talking about a van conversion (as opposed to the renovation of a factory-built campervan), in which case the point you most need to consider is how, when and where you'll use the van, and whether you might benefit from having some cold(er) zones during hotter weather.

With the benefit of 20 years practical experience in temperatures ranging from -15°C to +40°C, I can tell you that it's a heck of a lot easier to add supplementary insulation for a winter trip than to try and remove it during in the summer, and it's primarily in the summer that you'll wish you had a spot in the vehicle that's 10°C cooler than the rest.

This spot will almost certainly be at floor level, so unless you need to block up some holes, I'd leave well enough alone, and invest instead in a decent piece of carpet for the exposed/living space. That'll give you comfort underfoot, as well as thermal and acoustic insulation, and you can configure/fit out the hidden spaces individually according to their future use.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Therapy2

Thank you for your reply. I have been watching youtube vids ( hasn`t everyone ) and they mostly indicate creating a wooden frame work for some brand of thermal insulation followed by a vapor barrier and then secure the flooring on top of this. I have been considering this, but also should I leave well enough alone.??...conflicted 🤔. Obviously not your decision but trying to sound out other opinions. Thanks again for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Since heat rises floor insulation has minimal impact on the overall comfort of your conversion. We have none, just OSB board and the van is plenty warm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Therapy2

I think, based on your responses I`ll leave well enough alone. As I am new to this forum, I may have more questions as the build progresses. Thank you all for your quick responses and sage advice.

Cheers for now...

Advertisement