Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Anyone beginning to wonder if rosita is..donal og the same pretentious smug arrogance and anti leinster bias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The bit that made me laugh was the irony of accusing someone else of trying to come across all intellectual while talking a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

You want it every way though. You state there is no evidence of an advantage to an outfit being 'battle-hardened'. So you're presenting it as something more than just your opinion.

Whereas, it is a well-documented and commonplace observation of people across all types of sports, that tough games are invaluable preparation.

This by the way was a big part of the narrative of the role of Cody's training sessions in our magnificent success - ie that they were as tough as, if not tougher than a lot of matches. People came from all over Ireland to see them, in fact.

What's wrong with that, I think, is that your mistake is the classic one - that your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Unless you've achieved a lot more than you're letting on, I doubt that we should give the same weight to your opinion as high achievers across the sporting world, who have been there.

Secondly, it becomes more than opinion when it is expressed as often as you do, and as centrally to your case as you make it. It is like Churchill's definition of a fanatic - 'Can't change his mind, and won't change the subject'.

I do suspect that you are so invested in your own opinion, that you don't really read the thread in it's entirety. Which I think, apart from being bad netiquette, would have avoided you a 'whoosh' moment at the end.

Or maybe you don't get 'important-sounding' satire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Quoting Churchill is priceless. Good "netiquette" to impress people though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

If folks could cut the pathetic over and back personal nonsense, pseudo intellectual satirical nonsense and all encompassing 'crap' .... that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

There is no motorway from Limerick to Cork. It would be a nightmare journey for Galway and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't call it a nightmare for Clare. For most Clare fans it would be a similar or slightly less convenient journey than Limerick city to Cork.

But Clare vs Dublin or Carlow there would be stupid.

Galway vs Tipp is the only big draw there and surely that's gonna be in Limerick if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Ennis has a motorway to Galway and Limerick. Limerick to Cork is a terrible journey. Thurles is the appropriate venue for Clare v Dublin depending on Saturday in Carlow. Limerick is the appropriate venue for Tipperary v Galway depending on Saturday in Tullamore.

Ennis to Thurles is 1:30. Dublin to Thurles is 1:50.

Thurles to Limerick is 1:00. Galway to Limerick is 1:15.

That sounds about right.

Both venues have very good (by Irish standards) public transport links to the participating counties too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

It would be a double header in Thurles. I don't think Galway would mind playing Tipp there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely into Croker would be ideal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Have great games with Galway in Croker. Focus should be on Offaly at this point.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think Portlaoise could cater for Clare/Dublin can't imagine a Saturday afternoon or evening game getting a big crowd.

That's awful far for the Clare crowd. They get very touchy about having to go beyond Tipperary.

It's only 10 mins further than Thurles, the issue with PUC is its a disaster for traffic more than anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

This whole Cork is a disaster thing is overblown in my opinion. I generally park about a 40min walk from the stadium any time I’m at a match there and you are fine by the time you get back to the car.

Obviously that won’t work for some people but quite frankly giving Limerick home advantage in a Munster final rather than have their fans be stuck in traffic was ridiculous by Clare management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

they are probably referring to the road from limerick to cork... which is a disaster for a big match day.

Within cities you expect traffic Cork, Dublin, Galway (shudder)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

Clare management knew that if it was on in PUC their fans would be have been outnumbered two or three to one. Clare have only played down there once since it was reopened; the players are far more accustomed to the Gaelic Grounds. And home advantage didn't cost them in the end tbh, some poor shooting and decision-making did.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

A 40 minute walk from your car to any match is a sign of a big match day traffic problem. I've never done that or entertained anything close to that, 20 mins is probably the norm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

You could probably do 20/25 mins in Cork and be fine tbh. I’ve always just parked in around the same spot

We are very privileged in Munster hurling with our road and rail connections. Our round robin is a hell of a lot easier than Leinsters or footballs for the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Fair play to Mannion, did a lot of media this week when it would have been easy not to. Drew a line under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Seen on twitter that theres been 7 or 8 thousand tickets sold already for the Offaly v Tipperary game. Couldnt find any info on Dublin v Carlow.

What is the story with the Leinster Championship attendances? I have looked and cannot get attendances for every game. Anyone know where to get them? What I have seen is poor. Remember the attention Tipps support drew last year, this is worse as its across the board and across multiple years now.

From highlights id say if Wexford had 3 or 4 thousand at their games between Antrim and Westmeath it would be generous. Galways looked poor too, maybe 7k at the Wexford game and possible 5k or 6k at the Antrim game.

Kilkenny v Galway in Nowlan Park pulled about 11k and was the highest attended round robin game in Leinster. In contrast Waterford v Clare with Waterford basically already out, a hammering expected, having to travel 1.5 hrs to their "home game" and being outnumbered 5 to 1 by Clare supporters managed 14K in Semple stadium.

Basically Leinster Championship Round Robin games are pulling an equivalent crowd to Munster counties in Munster League or National League games. James Skehill indicated a form of apathy in Galway about it at the moment without saying as much.

This was all capped off with only 24K in Croker for the Leinster final. I didnt see it live, but watched it back and it was a really really good game but the empty stadium did detract from it as a spectacle and I would imagine as an event as a whole for the fans. Hard to generate a buzz in a stadium that large with an average crowd. My first though was how good it would have looked in Portlaoise, jammed to the rafters with colour and noise everywhere.

Looking back it seems to be a lower crowd than typical, 30+K pulled by these two a few years ago.

Half of the problem with the narrative in Leinster I feel is that the grounds are 75% empty for nearly every match and it brings about a challenge match atmosphere which deflates the buzz. I think ticket prices need to drop drastically and perhaps rather than giving some teams 3 home games and some teams 2 every year maybe it should be 2 home each and 1 neutral so the fans have a shorter distance to travel?

Pairc Ui Caoimh is now also bearing the reality that albeit a fantastic facility, its location geographically within Munster and also withing the confines of the Cork City area, it is not an attractive location for many fans across many game pairings. No pairing of Galway v Tipp/Offaly or Clare v Dublin/Carlow makes sense to be played down there. I understand their frustration as its a top class ground but they got 3 big games this year, the same as the Gaelic Grounds. Limerick have had 3 big games pulling in 115K spectators, Thurles when including the U20/minor double header has had 117k across 5 games and Cork got 3 big games this year with only 83K through the gates. They also had a Cork v Kerry football game. Its a sinking ship without HQ stepping in because of the debt but if they do the fans will not turn up if the location makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

Good points here. The only real problem with the Leinster championship is the low attendances. There were plenty of close competitive matches that ended in draws or wins by a couple of points.

The attendance levels are hard to understand. Only 7k at the opening game between Galway and Wexford.....that would be an average crowd for a league match. Even factoring in the longer travel distances for away teams.

24k for a final is poor.. .in 2019 there were 51k at the final and 60k in 2017. Galway v Kilkenny seems to be the worst possible pairing for attracting a crowd. If Wexford or hopefully Offaly got back to being really competitive it might boost attendances.

The problem with moving these lower attendance matches out of Croke Park is the impact it could ultimately have on the value of premium and corporate ticket revenue. Those generated 14 million for the Gaa last year, a serious contribution to overall revenue. For comparison, the entire amount generated by national league ticket sales in hurling and football was 5.5 million.

Wexford have been in 2 leinster finals in the last decade which got 60 and 52k, without them in it won't break the 40k mark, few over the last decade have been in and around 35k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭flatty

One thing is for sure, those figures pretty much ensure that it will be a sport where everyone gets paid except the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes, indeed. 7k for Galway v Wexford is strangely low.

A big game for Wexford, and for Galway being at home. The KK and Dublin games were away, so if travel/cost is an issue then the WX game would be the one to go to.

Also 24k at the Leinster final was odd, as I think clearly both teams were going all out to win, i.e. it meant something. And it seemed on paper close to a 50/50 game, and on the pitch. The 2 teams drew in the round robin. 2 of the best teams in the country.

Anybody in these counties (GY, WX, KK) know why this is, is there less interest this year? Are the games being marketed ?

• Advertisement

Kilkenny were already through for the Wexford game so can't blame them there.

Would the football season and a strong Galway team have an affect there ?

Advertisement