Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why does easy jet not fly to dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

faoiarvok wrote: »
    I don’t know about Newquay in particular, but a lot of UK airports are former RAF bases, so the runway may not reflect the traffic they accommodate or hope to, but rather the military aircraft they used to (and in some cases continue to) service.

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia, their runway is 107m longer than 10/28 at Dublin, and it was indeed formerly an RAF base.

RAF St Mawgan, was used for many years by Coastal Command, and over a period of time was home to things like Shackleton, a big 4 engine search aircraft that was similar to the Lancaster and Lincoln, and latterly the Nimrod, a much modified version of the Comet 4 that was primarily used for Search and Rescue and Oceanic surveillance, and things like submarine searching.

For a long time, it was also a designated Master Diversion Airfield, which meant it had to be ready to accept diversions of almost anything the military operated, from small fast fighter/interceptors, up to the largest transports, it was at the peak a very busy airfield, as it could also accept NATO diversions in the event of a problem during an Atlantic crossing, and during the Cold War, it could be used as an alternate landing for any of the V bomber fleet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I flew Gatwick to Cork one morning around 2006 on Easyjet. They were all of 6 of us onboard. As you say Ryanair forced them out through loss making pricing. There is a suggestion that Easyjet are looking to get into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not a hope Easyjet will get into Dublin, and even if they did manage to get a couple of aircraft in what could they offer that Ryanair doesn't already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Easyjet could fly to Dublin, but the game would be to fly from a slot constrained airport Ryanair do not operate to, then the 0.99 fares trick can't be used

Geneva, Zurich ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GVA and ZRH would have high landing/airport charges so can't see them squeezing out EI or Swiss air..

I just did a quick search for a flight from London to Zuirich and there's like a €10 difference between EJ and Swiss, and that's probably only cos EJ fly from LGW not LHR...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

With slots assigned at Dublin for a twice weekly service (Wed/Sat) this winter, it will be interesting to see if they take them up.

It’s EasyJet Europe and at such a low frequency it suggests a ski route or winter sun. Most likely seems Geneva or Lyon which could be under the radar enough for Ryanair not to respond (they wouldn’t bother with high cost GVA) but if it goes well and EasyJet think of any expansion that encroaches on Ryanair’s patch, there would be a big reaction I think.

Then again, maybe EasyJet is looking to pick a fight with Aer Lingus, in which case Ryanair would be happy to sit back and watch. Ryanair is so dominant in the Irish market now that the No.2 carrier could be green or orange, it wouldn’t matter to them so long as the comfy duopoly is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Didnt Easy jet not try to get in on the bread and butter UK-IRL runs though the last time, which is a bit different to carving a niche on the ski market or random european destinations.

Also with the ski market, from looking at the insane prices aer lingus charge on winter only Cork-Munich flights right from the off, you can only guess that those ski flights are largely pre-reserved by package operators before the public even gets a lookin and if thats the case with Easyjet then it doesnt matter what Ryanair does as it would be a quasi charter flight with some seats open for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They now have slots at Cork for a ski route also, if I remember the list I saw someone post elsewhere.

Not a market Ryanair are likely to aggressively try defend against, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

I saw that list, it was a mistake. They meant BFS. But like, I could still see that working?

In my opinion, I feel like price wars aren't as feasible nowadays with increased costs. TUI does some low-freq routes out of Dublin, why can't EasyJet?

Advertisement