Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

More like nothing else to argue about.

I'm certainly middle ground on it. Kleyn has played well enough this year to warrant a look at, but maybe at this point 4 months from the RWC it's too late to get him up to speed, so farrell and Poc are sticking with the players who have provided for them previously.

It's been said over and over that while Farrell's system may look off the cuff, it's built on a foundation of players knowing exactly what they should be doing in situations.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah it's an interesting stance to look at. On the one hand, you could use someone like Mack Hansen's meteoric rise as evidence to the contrary (with the obvious caveat of wing and lock being very different roles) .

But at the same time you could use the Ireland A fixtures v NZ and even Kleyn's own performances four years ago (which although over-exaggerated over the Toner affair, weren't exactly spectacular) as evidence supporting that proposition - that it takes time for even great players to get up to speed and you can't just throw them in

And with the Hansen example, there's a risk/benefit too. Integrate him quickly and you have a landmark player in the starting XV. With Kleyn, you have what's at maximum a third choice lock (probably fourth behind Ryan, Hendo and Beirne).

It's an interesting thing to think about like - I just wish some of the posters quietly sitting on the sidelines could actively bring up and discuss points like this, rather than the thread devolving into a battle of Caps Lock. It just brings up the quality of the forum tenfold.

Fair point, I think on line debating has become a lot more angrier and entrenched over the last few years, with people pushing extremes to make their point when realistically they're actually a lot more centre. God knows I've done it more than a few times on here.

At the end of the day it will be a quantitative mistake if Jean Kleyn plays against us in September and is instrumental in the bokke beating us. Pretty much every other outcome is subjective, including the conspiracy theory "rassie getting inside info"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm middle ground with regards to whether leaving him out is ultimately the right or wrong call.

What I'm not middle ground about, is this idea that Jean Kleyn is some other worldly physical specimen compared to our other locks, and MUST be selected for that reason. I think that's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Peyper said that Mace chicken fillet rolls are shite, Spar all the way.

Of course Sexton snapped. Peyper was bang out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

this idea that Jean Kleyn is some other worldly physical specimen compared to our other locks, and MUST be selected for that reason

Has anyone actually made this claim? They haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

What are they claiming then? Because pretty much every argument I've read for Kleyn's inclusion sites the fact that he's listed as a few kgs heavier than our other locks. (He's still dwarved by the genuine world class TH locks of this world)

That he fits a certain size profile and that he’s playing really well.

Nobody is saying he should be picked just for the former.

well one poster has suggested that he should be picked by virtue of the phrase "i think he should probably be kept in the system"

but as vehement arguments go, its incredibly soft. i think TRC has got caught in the hyperbolics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I actually think most people are arguing the middle ground, but the 'bite us in the arse crowd' are so entrenched they're making anyone who doesn't think its all that important look like another extreme.

I think he's an alright player, wouldn't be fussed either way, but also think the selection of our 5th choice lock is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Is that not the middle ground?

• Advertisement

I actually think most people are arguing the middle ground, but the 'bite us in the arse crowd' are so entrenched they're making anyone who doesn't think its all that important look like another extreme.

Not to go down this rabbit hole again, but you don’t think there’s been anything extreme on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The original point was that we don’t produce a lot of locks like that in our system. The counter point being, because we don’t produce a lot of locks like that, our system doesn’t rely on them.

The counter point being, because we don’t produce a lot of locks like that, our system doesn’t rely on them

Which is entirely fair; I’ve said at the outset he suits SA more than Ireland.

But that doesn’t mean people have been saying we must pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The argument for Kleyn's inclusion are that he has been superb for Munster this season. He was named Munster Player of the season and was instrumental in turning our season around even when we had a huge injury crisis in the 2nd row. Kleyn had to carry that position on his own. His work rate and durability are exactly what you want from a top level 2nd row, and he has experience of playing against most of the South African and French players.

Its too late now, he's been called up for SA, but not even bringing him into camps for the 6 nations or Autumn internationals was a big mistake IMO, and then including Joe McCarthy when he has played hardly any rugby this year, and has not exactly blown anyone away with the games he did play in.

Its bizarre that for his club, McCarthy was behind Jenkins for the knockout stages this year, and Kleyn is ahead of Jenkins (in the SA pecking order) yet McCarthy is ahead of Kleyn for the Irish squad.

Again, Kleyn did not lose out to McCarthy, he lost out to Treadwell.

McCarthy is there because he brings something different, that doesn't need 50 URC games to be seen.

Provincial pecking order has simply never mattered to Farrell, nor should it. But you cannot judge pecking order when one of the player's season has been absolutely decimated by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the last 10 or so pages was fun. A particular highlight was the 'he's bigger than him' spat. Unfortunately the school bell rang and we never got the scrap.

The sooner this World Cup is over the better.

I just think the narrative that we have made a big mistake about our 4th possibly 5th choice lock, is making a mountain out of a molehill. As I said, personally if Kleyn had been selected ahead of Treadwell. I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid. Though I have a sneaking suspicion, that if two of Beirne, Ryan and Henderson weren’t available. It would be Baird who starts and not Treadwell. Even though officially he is a backrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone remember Marmion v McGrath and how that turned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It ignores the reality of the last 4 years entirely. There hasn't been a single situation where having Kleyn (or Haley) would've been the difference between winning or losing. Farrel made the right call in bringing McCarthy, who clearly is a player with massive potential, and worth getting in camp sooner rather than later. Why waste spots on players who will never be needed for the national team?

The bigger question is in choosing to not bring other LHs, or 7s.

I genuinely don't remember this. When was this a big thing?

• Advertisement

Kleyn doesn’t have to be the difference between winning and losing to justify his selection.

For example, do you think Treadwell (a player you haven’t mentioned) is??

No, as I've said before, I think Murray ought to have been called up. Likewise Hodnett, Loughman, Milne and Balacoune.

I reject the argument that it's a mistake on Farrell's part to not call up Kleyn. If he gets called up for this squad, not selected for the WC panel, and never features for Ireland again, what has been lost? I'd argue nothing, so what value is their in selecting him in the first place? I'd rather have guys who could genuinely compete for a spot.

That could well be the case. And I don’t want to go over the last few pages again.

But when credible arguments for his inclusion are met with accusations of abuse, calling the coaches inept and insulting your love of Irish rugby…

… is it really just the fans calling for his inclusion making a mountain out of a hole hill?

There’s a lot of noise on the outside of both camps that inflame any debate. That’s what makes most threads on here unreadable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Regarding the Kleyn v Treadwell v McCarthy debate, Farrell was involved during the last cycle. He may not have liked what he saw from Kleyn. It's entirely feasible that Treadwell is hitting the markers in camp and possibly McCarthy too. We've no way of knowing what the coaching staff see, or what they want? I'd say that Kleyn had a great season but, so did Molony and Niall Murray and here we are.

I’m happy to admit that in your entirely hypothetical scenario, nothing would be lost.

But the reality is injuries happen. Treadwell, the guy who I think Kleyn should be ahead of, was on the bench for all 3 Tests in NZ.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think 2015, the thread went on for about 4 months. But I mixed up the players, it was Isaac Boss v Kieran Marmion for 3rd choice SH. In the end we only brought two with Ian Madigan as cover.

Treadwell was in good form for NZ, less so now it seems (not having seen much of him myself). Kleyn might be in good form for Munster, but it's clear Farrell doesn't feel that's enough to warrant a spot. Molony has been in a similar situation, arguably for a lot longer. Why is it so hard for folks to accept that Kleyn isn't good enough for Ireland, when that's been evident for 4 years?

2019 maybe? Luke McGrath getting in as 1 of the 2 SH’s despite Marmion playing brilliantly (on the wing) vs Aus the previous November, and generally being preferred under Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I remember that particular heated debate alright. Joe Schmidt gave an explanation that he preferred McGrath for his superior kicking ability, as he found other aspects were similar e.g. tackling, sniping, passing.

I think the contention at the time was that Marmion was a better player, but wasn't selected because he didn't play for Leinster.

In hindsight I think Marmion would have been the better choice, or at least taking 3 scrum-halves would have been better.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Advertisement