Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG Cyberster

Options
  • 11-05-2023 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭

Officially announced last month in Shanghai, and unveiled in the flesh in the UK today, so probably well worth having it's own thread.

A 2 seater EV roadster, with scissor doors and folding roof at hopefully a reasonable price!!!! Imagine!!

Ive been following it’s development for a while, and have a real interest in getting one. I just hope that a few little red flags that are threatening to pop up don't.

I mean weight will be near 2 tonnes

A yoke steering wheel that could be cool or disaster.

This for a boot.......

And most worryingly, the price that even last month was being hinted at as being low £40s sterling, as MG wanted to be a 'disruptor' to prices - look at what they did with MG4 pricing compared to competition (it shares MG4s chassis). Now suddenly is being hinted at low £50k. That's already a hell of jump for a car still not put til Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It will sell at whatever the market will bear, currently I'd say keep climbing from 50K as there's lots of folks with serious wedges under Irish mattresses after Covid. Serious wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'd say the price tag for this will begin with a 7. What other full electric convertible sportscars are available in the market? I can't think of a single one other than the Tesla Roadster and they can't be got. MG will pretty much have the market to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No shame in robbing the name and steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looks lovely but affordable it certainly will not be. Starting from at least £55,000 in the UK so expect at least €70,000 or €80,000 here. Will not been seeing many if any at all on Irish roads at that price.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Who is the market for this though? people that like driving won't want an €70,000, 1850kg 300bhp tank, it weights more than a transit van, I suppose the 2000kg version with 500bhp would capture the performance market, but that's closing in on Porsche money then.

I'd sooner a 1000kg MX5 and a Model 3 performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Can't see them going over €70,000 on this. That'd price it above the M3 performance and double a new MX5. If you want performance you'd go Tesla, if you want convertible you'd go MX5 or BMW Z4. MG is still relatively unknown in Ireland, let alone dropping €70k on one.

I'm predicting €52k to €55k, unless grant, inflation, recession or exchange rates do something very dramatic over next year

Also a lot can change in a year, they may not have an empty playing field by then.

There is a confirmed convertible EV Mini launching soon, BYD have been spotted testing a convertible version of their Han model, and another Chinese manufacturer Neta aunched a speedster version of their GT in Shanghai (Chinese market)

And just to completely contradict all my optimism above Autocar have it at £55,000 and £65,000 sterling meaning @AMKC 's predictions of 70 here is very likely.

Massive overpricing IMO unless they really want to strangle demand so they don't need much production.

Considering there's a dual motor MG4 sports model also on the way, for rumoured around mid-40s, a jump to 70 for a new body on that running gear is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

M3P is the best value car in the country, it's just insanely good

500bhp, 500km range, €50,000

If I wasn't broke I'd be buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw this for the first time on Nobby's youtube channel yesterday and I like it. Even more so in line of the Tesla announcements this morning meaning we're looking elsewhere for our next 2 Evs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

They announced an e-motion in 2017 I think which looked brill : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cS7pq3X2RQ

the Cyberster is nice but would have preferred a non convertible

Autoexpress now saying £50,000 starting price estimated - jumping about a bit. I'd wonder are they just 'suggesting' numbers to see the feedback

I find that "starting prices" very rarely are the reality once the cars come to market. Either way, the Treasure Ireland tax will push this into the €70k mark regardless of what the UK is. Our SEAI grant is also reducing to €3.5k from July so that will have an impact on the list price here. I doubt they will sell many here in any case, we're not really a country of cabriolet owners as much as the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There would be no grant for this car anyway given its over the eligible list price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The MG name in itself doesn’t exactly shout confidence either, given some of their appalling quality in the past- I know this is a total reboot but still, might have been better to leave the nostalgia behind.

For those prices it will need to be bug-free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I want one. How about you? Being released next year. Single RWD or Dual Motor AWD. No real specs yet, but near to the production model.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The badge is too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Interesting that they use the word "Cyber" in the name... Lawsuit incoming from Cybertruck manufacturer I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CYBERtruck and roadSTER

that kind of stuff just makes me laugh and think how pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't like the Cyber on either of them. It's a bit 90s.

• Advertisement

Worrying that that Fully Charged preview shows the (admittedly tall) presenter mentioning that his head is sticking up higher then windscreen and that top of windscreen is pretty much across his eyeline.

Sounds neither safe nor comfortable - and considering this is a 2 seater based on a chassis for a hatchback - where the hell has all the space gone, why is the cabin so cramped looking, the yet unrevealed boot looks to be small too?

Can't all be just to have a big long bonnet for an electric engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Maybe there is no boot in favor of a frunk to give it the sports car look.

Odd that it's cramped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jack is 6'5. That's 1.96m

A bit taller than most Irish men 😂

I'm 6'3 and prefer not to get flies smacking me in forehead at 120km/h - also nice to see the road, not frame of windscreen

This may not be the car for you then.

I had a convertible a few years ago as a "fun" car and one of my brother's in law was dying to try it out... He is 6'4 and was bitterly disappointed that he could not see through the windscreen crossbar. Ruined the experience for him.

I can't imagine spending upwards of 70k on a car I could not drive due to space.

Thing is I was always a convertible fan, until kid came along, and then I became an electric fan.

So even in an old Peugeot 205 convertible, Saab 9-3 and BMW Z4 I've never had an issue like this - and as said it's a surprising design flaw given the space the chassis gives them to play with. I'm driving an MG4 now, which has loads of internal room - even with driver seat fully back, passengers in rear still have great leg room. Also have decent headroom with seat at highest setting.

So given the Cyberster is that chassis, slightly longer, and wider; why does the seating suddenly seem so crammed in in all directions - and yes I know this is based mostly on a very tall reviewer.

It is like a reverse Tardis in that respect then. I have driven the MG4 and found it to have great space, so much so that I put a deposit on to buy one and eventually backed out due to the delivery timelines involved. I would love to know what MG have done with this to make it so cramped then. I wonder is it to do with shoehorning the batteries into the floor and the consequent need to have the seats at a higher level while keeping the overall silhouette of the car low...

Might just be as simple as this is still a static, pre-production 95% complete model- so since no one can drive it they've put in massive, eye catching, no adjustable seats.

In production it might have smaller, non bolstered seats that can go back further, and down

So after about 3 years of watching, and drooling over this Frank Keane have been in touch to say they'll have it in house Saturday to view (not drive), so I've a feeling this will be when the bubble bursts.

When 1st shown as a concept years ago, it was proposed as an MX5 killer EV with a 'disruptive' price similar to how the MG4 undercut the VW id3 market. Cheap, quirky, happy.

Now it's a halo car that will undercut Porsche or Audi, a mature cruiser of a car and as per video below hopefully below €80,000.....

Given the collapse in price that the Taycan is currently showing in the UK, and general EV price war ongoing, that's a brave thing to do, but I get the feeling more and more that MG view the Cyberster more as a sales gimmick to put in window, trade shows and magazines than something they actually want to sell.

Maybe the price will collapse Taycan style and I can pick up a year old ex-demo in 2025, but I cannot afford a something about 25k overvalued.

Might be time to start drooling over next 'cheap' EV toy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The Cyberster is pretty big in real life, saw it at the Nevo show last week.

I’d say it’s around the same size as a 911, possibly larger, was pretty wide in particular.

Advertisement