Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Very warm day in Dublin, was a lovely evening when out for a stroll but very humid. 23 degrees earlier but felt warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It really has been an incredibly dry June. Unbelievable really. One of the nicest periods of dry bright weather that I have ever experienced.

Athenry is showing just 1.8mm. Dublin Airport showing 0mm.

The river Corrib is falling all the time and is at a very low level.

Realtime waterlevel

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Looks like we could see up to 27 degrees over next few days, sunniest in the east with more showers possible further west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We had rain from 11am till about 3pm in NCD which I wasn't expecting.

I knew there was thunder warning but this was more constant rain but not very heavy.

Get well soon Pauldry👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Swear I’ve seen you complain before about no warning being issued for your county or that it should have been a level higher, expect red etc😝

• Advertisement

Rain again over night and early this morning here in NCD, blackbirds delighted can catch a few juicy worms as a result.

Mainly cloudy with a bit of sun this morning but still roasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

That was one humid night, took ages to sleep even with the fan on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

22 degrees at Oak Park Carlow at 10am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Slightly OT but was Shannon always missing from the WOW map?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Overcast here now thanks to that junk coming in off the Irish Sea

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Compared to the wonderful high twenties and sunshine charts we were looking at up until the weekend just gone, this week is turning out to be underwhelming with plenty of cloud and temperatures while slightly warmer than average are nothing to get excited about, generally low 20s. Hopefully the sun will break through later today. UK still managed to get decent heat and widespread thunderstorms of course.

For us it looks to remain warm but most places not seeing any higher than 22 or 23C at best. A few places could get a 24 or 25C if there are decent spells of sunshine but it's overall a mostly cloudy scene over the next few days. While dissapointing this is still a huge improvement on last weeks chilly conditions.

The good news is that chilly temperatures of recent weeks won't be making a return any time soon and while it will be unsettled from time to time, it's not a typical Atlantic conveyer belt setup that normally dominates our weather, but instead rather warm and sometimes volatile instability, so expect the low 20s to continue for the rest of this month.

Totally agree. This week hasn't delivered. But still summer like though. Just disappointing compared to original forecasts. We've paid a price for the fun England had over the past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

does this apply to the whole of Ireland or east or west eyc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overcast in Galway city this morning but my god is it warm and humid. Very slight easterly. Strong 'smell' of humidity to the air.

Very unusual for this part of the world, you'd almost never see 20°c on an overcast day unless there's been some type of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Another gorgeous day with the sun burning off early morning cloud. Feeling nice and warm now. Its the summer that keeps giving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very warm and sunny in Kildare now. 25°c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tbh It's a bit of a messy setup we have going on. Past few weeks we had a warm west and chilly east. The temperature range is much closer now between east and west, 20C+ most places with 24 or 25C being the max but this will depend on sunshine. The main difference between east and west over the coming week will be the rainfall totals which could be substantially higher in the west compared to the east. Sounds like a typical Atlantic setup when I say something like that but it is not. Much of the rainfall over the next few days will be showers developing overland moving south-east to north-west, so many eastern areas could stay largely dry but the more inland you go, the greater the risk of heavy showers and thunderstorms. As for the thunder and lightning aspect it remains to bee seen if we get those as yesterdays thunderstorm forecast was a complete and utter bust for Ireland.

Rainfall predictive totals between now and Sunday night shows up to 80mm of rainfall over the next few days across western areas vs relatively small amounts on the east coast, this is due to convective showers forming overland in Leinster and growing in power as they push west/north-westwards.

Next week looks fairly wet everywhere but I am hoping that the models may backtrack on next weeks very unsettled potential over the coming days. Looking even further ahead there is definitely potential in the models for a very warm and dryer week around final week of June but that's along way off.

Hopefully that's on it's way here, not a glimse of sun so far today in Meath, just murky slate grey cloud.

Despite the almost totally cloudy skies here we are at 23c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Underwhelming? Ah come on Gonzo. We're looking at temps of up to 25º or more for several days. For Ireland. In June. How is that underwhelming?

Your posts often swing from extreme positivity to extreme negativity in the space of just hours at times.

Your wrote off all of May at the start of the month and look how that turned out...

This week was always looking somewhat unsettled.

Would you prefer a dry, sunny but cold easterly? Because you were (rightly) complaining about that too...

BTW it's already 25º in some locations today so your forecast is already incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Well Gonzo people were warned - anything with a southerly element often is a cloud fest. It's probably the worst for widespread cloud IMO.

The hi res models weren't (and still aren't) showing much clear skies this week. The airmass is warm and moist. Should have been better factored into forecasts for sure. I could tell last week that a stagnant setup with not so high pressure, with tropical remnants and a warm airmass moving up over us spelt cloud. Modelled temperatures often seem to anticipate sunny skies - they were bang on predicting the 30c weather in the UK when the sun came out.

It's risk reward. It's a warm setup even with cloud. The potential for 25c+ is there. Just need prolonged sun. Looks like many people will get some nice clear skies over the next while so temperatures should start to spike. Sunday was nice too, so it's not been the worst but clear blue skies for all was never on the cards and that's what is pulling temperatures back. Don't think it's as direct from the south today and for the next few days as it was since Fri/Saturday so should be clearer skies.

I think yesterday we just got very unlucky too, with the remnants of the vast UK storms lingering and moving over us yesterday, as glightning predicted excellently on Sunday night. But again, those storms are the fruits of the warm and moist setup that has moved up over IRE and the UK.

There must of been slightly more Atlantic air mixing in for us than there was in England where it came more from the direction of France. i.e. Our air source more from the S / SW and England more from the S / SE. Seems to be the key difference in terms of clear sky potential.

Lovely sunny afternoon in Dublin 5, nice and warm. Great stretch of weather dating back to early May. I know we had somewhat cooler temps here in the East during the recent spell but having sunshine pretty much every day and next to no rain, would take that every May / June to be honest.

Looks like it might get up to about 24 or 25 in Dublin today, again would take that any time. Looks like the East might do well over the coming days too escaping hopefully some of the showers crossing the country. One thing that has been tough though is the humidity, has made it feel warmer than it is

Oak Park, Phoenix Park, Casement and Dublin airport the warmest spots so far today. 25 degrees at 12pm at Oak Park, Casement at 24 degrees and Phoenix Park and Dublin airport at 23 degrees at 12pm

City of Derry airport reporting 25c as well

when I said underwelming I probably should have stated underwhelming compared to what the charts were showing up until last Friday. The widespread high twenties obviously didn't verify for us this week, the models dropped that idea Friday afternoon. Yesterday was a damp drizzely day for the most part however the evening did improve. Yesterday's thunderstorm forecast didn't work out either which probably disappointed some people. I did say in my post that 25C is possible this week where the sun breaks for a decent length of time but we are in a mostly cloudy setup so quite a few areas will struggle to reach that value while others will get lucky in the sunshine and may even get to 26C. Temperatures are of course a huge improvement this week but the lack of sunshine (which was in the forecast over recent days) is a bit disappointing to those of us who are chasing temperatures similar to what we have now or higher but combined with decent spells of widespread sunshine. I feel confident that what I am after and indeed many other people are after will happen, we are likely to get several days to hopefully a week of mid to high twenties combined with bags of sunshine at some point this summer.

Ah lads not warm enough, I'm melting here in NCD, sun is absolutely spilting the trees feels like about 27 degrees.

Nice sunshine here in Dublin this afternoon Gonzo, are you not getting that?

Cloud breaking up now, sun popping out and large convection visible.

• Advertisement

Oak Park 27°c at 1pm!

Wow

Advertisement