Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Bale Wrapper

Options
  • 06-03-2023 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Any suggestions on what brand to look out for when it comes to a second hand round bale wrapper with a budget of 4-5K???

I know of a couple of lads with Kverneland 7512 (i think its 7512 models if memory serves me right) and they seem to have hassle with the cut and tie system not cutting at times, not grabbing the wrap at other times and then maybe the wrap getting over stretched when starting a bale and ripping. Is this common with all wrappers or a possible flaw with this make / model?? It wouldn't be unusual to have a second man present (such as myself) in the field to put things right when any of the above happens either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yes the Kverneland had that problem. McHale 991 were the wrapper of choice for most contractors. Some say the Conor 9700 have a better table but I’d say the overall consensus is McHale is the one to go for if you can get one that doesn’t have a massive bale count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

4 lever conor if it's reliability you're after. Actually think they are faster than the joystick conors too if you get the hang of them. Mchale 991bjs is grand too and is nicer than either of the conors to use but probably aren't built quiet as strong. I'd prefer the lower table and the way the flap works on the Mchale but the welds fall apart on them. Cut and tie is good on both of them. I'd be slow to buy anything else outside of them 2 if it was me.

We bought 991B when they came out. Still have it. First seven year it was contracting. Had to repair the lift arm last year due to a life of abuse. Shear bolt under turntable is the only negative point when it gets past a certain number of bales like a million or so😁. Damn good wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Mchale or conor would be the best of them,at €4000-€5000 you will have to wade through a lot of wore out machines

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Conor 4 lever would be a great bet. Have seen them working reliably with 100k bales on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is this Kuhn any good? For price seems quite fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,829 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Looks like it was resprayed and re-stickered. It is very shiny

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Thanks for the feedback, looks like i'll be looking in the opposite direction to the Kverneland for now and keep an eye out for a McHale or a Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

What tractor will it be going on? Those old lever types are a mongrel to situate in modern cabs, few Ive seen were awkwardly on the back window. Fantastic wrappers and super fast in the right hands. Have a Conor and that too is a bulky joystick to get in but more manageable. Go green is my advice too and avoid the old Tanco wrappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Would a lad not go a few euro more and get a remote ,it will always be worth more ,drove a mchale bjr joystick years ago but like after 80 bales your hand is fairly sore ,a young fellow might take no notice but its hardship ,dont mention the ones with spools to me

• Advertisement

A NH TS110, there is a bolt hole on the pillar of the cab between the door and side window that can be used to bolt on a DIY bracket.

Thanks for heads up on the Tanco.

I've done a fair share with all the different types, unless you're going for a twin dispenser satellite wrapper like a 1400 tanco or hs2000 I'd stay away from the auto ones. Always little electricial niggles with the tancos anyway and the whole thing stops up then. On a flat field with solid bales you'd keep to it with the joystick or 4 lever aswell. Burst hose or a shear bolt or roll pin is all that'll stop the other ones.

Thanks all for the advice here. In the end, I picked up a McHale 991 with Joystick control.

Wrapped 100 bales at the weekend and had no issues whatsoever with it.

I do have a couple of Q's:

• I noticed that overnight the cut and hold ram would loose pressure and close in a bit and release the wrap. Not a big deal but am just curious if this is normal. Wrapper was still connected to the tractor so its possible that oil was slowly leaked back into the tractor and hence relieved the pressure or can i perhaps do something with the accumulator to prevent this. (As i say its not a big deal but would like to have it right etc).
    • I read in the user manual (one I found online) that the cut and hold should release after 2 turns of the table and release the wrap. This doesnt happen on mine. Is there anything I can check? I was having to use the switch to release the wrap and if I forgot to use the switch the bale would get to a point where the wrap would eventually rip and I would be left with say a 6 inch tail of wrap on the ground when i did release the cut and hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Normal for the ram to open sightly and release plastic after a couple of hours.

You've to manually release plastic everytime while the bale is spinning as far as I know, never heard of it automatically releasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Is it cable joystick or electronic joystick?

Mine is cable operated, I have to manually release plastic after a couple of turns, perhaps electronic one is a little more refined.

Mine also loses pressure, considerably quicker than yours but it holds well between bales, I always just accepted I'd need to tie the first bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

2020 911 BJS here.It automatically releses the plastic after 2 turns and looses pressure on the plastic holder overnight too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've one of the older lever types that just dumps the bale of the back onto a mat.

Never read the instructions so I just let it tear the plastic away after about 2 turns. That might be why there is always small pieces of plastic collecting around it. Must read the manual.

It releases the plastic after about 1 hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yea, I find bits of plastic all over the field doing that, but not so much if I release it.

Is it servo or cable joystick? I used to let it off after 1 rotation, once the film is touching the film on the bale again it will hold. If you don't release it you'll end up with a mess of plastic building up around the cut and tie and the Stanley blade.

Yeah its the Servo Joystick, I was using the switch to release it after 2-3 revolutions but as I say I read an online user manual which mentioned it should release automatically after 2 turns. Again its not the end of the world that it doesnt but would be "a nice to have".

• Advertisement

Last one I used was in 2013ish and was new at the time before the fella I was working for traded it for a twin dispenser but it definitely didn't release the cut and tie itself nor did the previous one. Maybe its something that was added to later models. Only a flick of the rocker swith anyway, becomes second nature after you've a few thousand bales wrapped 🙈😅

Advertisement