Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, further up the street there is a cycle path literally painted on half the footpath. Been there for 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Recently there's been more posts about Griffith Avenue than about North Strand Road / Fairview.

Has there been any update given about completion dates? It seems that with much of one side of the route incomplete, and barely any of the other side started, that a completion date of December 2023 is unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Before we leave Griffith Avenue, let’s have a little rant about traffic lights.

They’ve just installed/turned on a set of lights at the entrance to Griffith Woods. Cars have been coming and going from that estate for the last year or so with no issues. No, someone in DCC has shares in a traffic light company and now we have more delays as we wait for lights to change for non existent traffic. 🙄

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Doubt that the driver factor was car traffic in and out, but more the large amount of people that live in there that might want to cross the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing so far, but as far as I know, it's proceeding to schedule. The inbound side is very close to being complete, with elements already open.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

God, yes, it is so stupid! The lights also take ages, like about 5 minutes, for the pedestrian crossing to go green. It is so bad, that after the first day or two everyone walking East - West along Griffith Avenue is now ignoring them and just crossing even on pedestrian red, using them more like a zebra crossing.

It really is a perfect example of how DCC are ignoring the NTA guidelines that pedestrians should have priority.

Fair enough North - South, but the East - West arm really should be a zebra crossing or the pedestrian crossing should default to green and only change when a car aprroaches (like in the Netherlands).

What is stupid just like 200 meters away you have the crossings at Calderwood Road and Griffith Walk, actual proper road junctions entering Griffith Avenue and yet there are no traffic lights or zebra crossings at this junction, you are just expected to look out for cars and use your own judgement. Which is fine, I'm not saying these should change, but this is a busier junction then Griffith Woods, so it shows that all this was unnecessary.

Really for me this shows that we need to change the laws around zebra crossings, both the Griffith Wood and Calderwood Road junctions should just be simple raised zebra crossings, with no flashing lights necessary.

"Doubt that the driver factor was car traffic in and out, but more the large amount of people that live in there that might want to cross the road."

Then is fails miserably at that, as it takes like 5 minutes for the pedestrian crossing to go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,126 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It looks like they've made no progress really around the fire station and Annesley Bridge, I can't see the route into town finished any time soon

On Griffith Avenue, thinking about it, I don't know why they felt that they had to put an island with unnecessary extra traffic lights on the North - South arm in front of the apartments. I don't understand why they needed to over build it like this?

Like there are two other north - south traffic controlled junctions on either side of it (by Charlemont Estate and by the schools) and neither of these have this overbuilt island, they are just simple straight across light controlled pedestrian crossings.

LMAO, I had totally forgot, that just across the road from this junction, like literally 5 meters away, there is actually one of those unofficial, raised, "zebra crossings" going East to West entering into Marino:

• Right hand of the picture is an unofficial zebra crossing, while on the left hand side you can see the new unnecessary junction.

On Griffith Avenue, there are like a dozen of these sort of unofficial zebra crossings, been there for years and work perfectly fine. I really don't know why they couldn't have done the same East to West outside of Griffith Woods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m guessing that each junction was built according to DCCs requirements at the time. The older ones didn’t need traffic lights but some policy has changed since then. Maybe it’s an attempt to ensure blind people can cross safely, combined with DCCs long-standing dislike of zebra crossings. Older junctions will stay the way they are because no policy is going to be retroactive, the cost implications of that would be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say it's just a case of DCC loving traffic lights and there was a chance to make the developer pay for a new set here, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would have been great if we could have had the clongriffin cbc works ramping up as this was winding down. Unfortunately that wasn't to be. 14 months and no oral hearing date for the first cbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hate to bring up another post about Griffith Avenue, but looks like the design is getting better, the large poles on the Western End were reduced down to smaller stubs last year which looks better, and some of the bollards on the Eastern end have been replaced with planter boxes with plants in them this week.

Obviously would have been better first time, but I'm glad to see they're continuing to improve it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are they removing any bus stops? Don't believe them if they say they are not.

Something you wanna get off you chest there is there? Fire away on your soap box rant about Bus Stops if ya like, but I'm not sure why you're quoting me who mentions nothing about Bus Stops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was complimenting the aesthetics, getting rid of bollards in favour of flowers, gonna go out on a limb here and say removing one of the 3 bus stops on Griffith Ave isn’t gonna impact that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Walked past yesterday morning

The left turn filter lane is cone'd off for some reason. (You can still turn left though)

The Bus lane blocker thing is still in place.

This was around 7:30am, not many cars. Place is being avoided like the plague it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What I would say about the works in Fairview is that the first part looks very slow (i.e. the initial digging and services work), but when it comes to laying down the paving and resurfacing, that part of it goes very quickly. The inbound side is the much bigger part of the job as it involves replacing the main water mains for the North East of the city.

They are upgrading all the services along the outbound side too. When they have that digging done and everything underground sorted, they can proceed to the surface level, which is a faster part of the works.

Another thing to remember is the mess that is at Fairview by the shops is happening in two strands. The current is a strip along the road side. They will then flip and work on the section / strip right outside the premises, which will be even more inconvenient. At the moment, walking along Fairview shops has a real feel of being "penned in". Also the glorious DCC seem to have given up cleaning along there since the previous guy retired, so it really is "a kip" right now. But as the saying goes, no pain, no gain.

Ignore spurios, they are ranting about on unrelated matter in Fairview.

On Griffith Avenue, most of the bollards were always supposed to be temporary, to be replace by combination of planters and the concrete curb. I will say the planters they have put in look a lot cheaper then what they were originally proposing! But look ok.

On Bus stops, not only will non be removed, but I'd say we might get some extra stops once the N2 bus route starts. One thing I'll say about the bus stops on Griffith Avenue, like everything else with the bike lane, their design is poor, with the bus stops being in the middle of the cycle lanes! I also notice that at times, the Dublin Buses are sometimes parking up in the bus stops (with engine off, etc.) blocking the bike lanes for an extended time, which isn't great!

Post edited by bk on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

DCC gave up around there long ago. It started when they removed most of the bins in the area and has gone downhill since.

The pedestrian section from the fire station to the 5 lamps is an absolute disgrace as well. I've seen people struggling with buggies along there, God love anyone in a wheelchair.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Can we please keep this about the C2CC route only and please also keep the sniping to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

I am aware that the site compound used to store materials for the North Strand Works was due to be vacated by December 2023. Its located on Alfie Byrne Road. A request has been made by the contractor to extend the use of this site until the end of Q1 2024.

A week ago or more now, but some of the stuff that you see underground is somewhat interesting. It's like an octopus of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

The inbound side of North Strand looks near completion. You can see the spot where the bus stop used to be! Those 3x car parking spaces will be a real asset for the people of North Strand!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

There was a few notices this week that the bus stop on the outbound side of North Strand Road (Stop 516) is moving 100 metres further out the road (i.e. closer to Newcomen Bridge) as of the 15th June. I assume that means works are now starting on this section between the 5 Lamps and the bridge in the next while. This is my regular homebound stop in the evening on the days I work in the office. I'm wondering if any of the other outbound stops beyond the bridge are similarly affected.

IrishCycle traveled the length of the C2CC project today, and has some photos/updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I noticed last week, that the section he mentions at fairview park, by the footbridge, has three cameras recording it at the moment, collecting survey data.

Advertisement