Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

For me this weather is just complete misery. The humidity ruins everything. Everything here is damp still, there's no drying out, and I can't enjoy any activities without fresh air. Working outdoors in it is awful. The upcoming forecasted rain with high temps is surely the worst possible combination. Too hot for the necessary rain jacket. I'll never understand the love for this, beyond the possible enjoyment of a thunderstorm! Last week's cool fresh sunshine was so much better in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Perhaps its because I am not a huge fan of heat but I loved the last few weeks on the East Coast in Bray. It should have been coldest for me literally 100m from the Seafront. Sure i'd walk under the railway bridge and feel the cooler sea air but back one road from the Seafront on the Meath Road and I'd be sweltering in the radiant heat of the sun sheltered from the sea breeze and the 'chilly' 16-17degC air temp might as well have been mid 20's cause thats what it felt like. Was climbing to the Cross on Bray head 3 times a week for the last few weeks with the dogs and its been heaven. Any coolness in the air up there was refreshing.

Now with actual Heat in the air and todays clear skies I think it'll be too hot for the Top of the head with the dogs. (Have to carry the 16Yo Shih Tsu most of the way (10Yo Westie Loves the climb)) Instead I think its hot enough and with a decent Low Tide that its time for the Shorts and Sandles and paddle with the dogs. Point is, I'm not saying that the current weather with mid 20's air temps and BLue Skies here in Bray isn't even better thatn a few weeks ago but my point is that most of May felt pretty feckin amazing here in Bray right beside the coast where it was supposedly the coldest part of the iseland. Like literally the only thing those cool air temps right on the seafront meant was there were a few less sun bathers on the beach itself. With the radiant heat of the Sun and 50-100m back from the Beach with a little bit of shelter from the breeze and it was plenty warm enough. Now that I think about it the cool breeze was coming from the SE so when I'd be in the fields on the front of bray Head or climbing to the top with the dogs, we'd be sheltered from it. Explains why it was just so damn pleasent in Bray since the beginning of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

The posters posts do leave me bewildered at times ,anyway it's a stunning day in west dublin 25 and sunny not unsettled

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

So I take it the people who don't like this mild heat and humidity don't go abroad on holiday then? Surely it would be too much? Or do you go well out of season like to Spain in October or November?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I only travel to hot countries out of season, but mostly avoid completely. Though of course a drier heat as you find in many holiday resorts is far more tolerable. And obviously comparing lounging around in the sun to working in it is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Only 67% humidity in Dublin today. Hardly high. Not low but not high.

Most Mediterranean resorts have dew points in the low twenties (20c to 24c) though in Summer. RH can be 70%. Most of the Med is around 70% today for example with similar dew points equal to the highest in Ireland today (as temps in the Med are mid to high 20's C today rather than above 30c).

But I think as you say, a key difference is the holiday mindset and not having to work. Makes all the difference in how we perceive it.

Finally got rid of that stubborn cloud that's affecting NI. Stronger sun now. Plenty of cloud still floating about. Very clear skies to my west, but with no convection going on whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

25° now in parts of Dublin. And 25° where you are Gonzo. Easily the hottest day of the year for Dublin and for you. I’m loving it after the weeks of sunny but cool easterlies.

Unless you despise the heat, no one near the east has anything to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

This humidity will be the death of me.

• Advertisement

26/19 at City of Derry airport

Magilligan apparently 27/16 according to XCWeather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yeah very tolerable humidity now in my part of Dublin. Airport is down into the 50%s with a temp of 24c and dew point of only 15c. Easterly breeze bringing freshness into the east. The humid stuff is further inland/west. It's absolutely lovely out there though, I could go much hotter but I'll settle! Irish sea looks like throwing some high cloud back my way shortly, so glad I got out for my lunch hour.

Barrow basin region looks like one of the peak heat spots in the country at present, which is common enough, thanks to the very clear skies there. Oak Park leading the way, so I imagine next month the Athy station will reveal some hot temperatures today and tomorrow. Maybe a 28 later?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It has turned out lovely in Galway this afternoon. Warm with a nice breeze too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

east galway.

no sun really, just cloud, but fcuk me, its sticky

just went for a really slow mopey walk, sweating like a proverbial

this 'feels' like the hottest day to me even without the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28 mark reached around the Dundalk area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Oh my 25⁰ Meath and most of the cloud has cleared. Hot.

The poor young lad at home with chicken pox can't even go outside tis too hot.

Stunning when staying in garden lol. Ice creams and ice cold drinks all round this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oak Park 28 degrees at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

28 degrees in Oak Park at 3pm, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Went over 27 here near Roscrea, dropped back under just now

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My goodness is it humid now with the sun out. If I must endure this let's have the mother of all thunderstorms late this afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

24c here in carrick on shannon but feels warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

At the risk of boring people now,I agree. I had to come inside again due to the humidity. At least in cold weather you can warm up. It's not so easy to cool down when you are out in this weather. I have started taking cold showers over the last couple of days. To answer the earlier question, I avoid going to hot and humid countries ,if I can. I did go to the Amazon several years ago as it was something i always wanted to do but with the humidity once was enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

28c at Oak Park. 17c in Sligo due to NW wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Real scorcher in the south east of the country, much lower humidity than elsewhere in the country.

Dark clouds building up now, hopefully we will get a good thunderstorm out of it.

Edit:just heard two low rumbles of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

29 degrees at oak park at 4pm, wowsers!

Good few places at 25 degrees like Phoenix park, Mt Dillon, Dunsany and a few others. really impressive to see the South East pushing towards 30!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally getting it now, was a cloudfest here until about 2pm then the clouds suddenly melted away and it got to 25C too, a jump of 3C due to the sunshine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Humidity at Oak Park continued to fall in the past hour, down to 27% from 35%.

Oak Park probably received little to no rainfall.

Advertisement