Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lol, I remember that alright.

Even when Isaac Boss actually got called up and was literally part of the squad, the debate raged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Marmion definitely got a raw deal over the years, especially in the period when Murray's form went off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t know if it will bite us in the arse or not. I just think that he is a rare enough player in ireland so I’d err on trying to keep him in the system.

You quoted my comment when you first replied. You know what i said. If you had said, yea his profile is rare in ireland BUT… you would have an argument. You didn’t.

Why is this some kind of point of ‘truth’?

Kleyn and McCarthy are similar players. Treadwell is not. Just saying something over and over again doesn’t make it true.

I’d pick Kleyn over either of them but McCarthy and Kleyn in the same squad would be weird.

Treadwell strikes me a very poor man’s baird more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

It harder to get dropped from the Irish camp and get into it. It's 1 of the main reasons why we always under preform in the world cup. Players who lose form months out still getting a spot and it's happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

in fairness, if farrell is judging a player on what they were like 4 years ago thats not a great thing imo. kleyn is definitely playing to a much higher level now, whether that should have been enough to be in the initial squad is debatable i suppose

Kleyn and McCarthy are similar players. Treadwell is not.

McCarthy and Kleyn in the same squad would be weird.

This might be true but it's simply not how Farrell picks his squads. He picks the best players and figures out what to do with them afterwards.

That's why our first-choice lock pairing is Ryan and Beirne, neither of whom are true bulky tighthead locks, it's why our back-up openside is also our first-choice blindside, it's why JOB is the second-choice fullback despite playing most of his time on the wing, it's why he picks Bundee Aki on the bench when he has zero ability to cover anything other than 12.

Kleyn lost out to Treadwell because Treadwell is (based on best guesses) behind McCarthy in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

It's possible Kleyn expressed a desire to play for the Boks as he's eligible again and ruled himself out for the Irish squad.

It must be something he's keen for as it'll presumably mark the end of his time in munster once his contract is up if he's capped.

Huh, he does the opposite. He has roles he wants and generally if you don’t fit he doesn’t pick you. That is most easily seen on the wing.

Ryan is the ‘big lock’. He does all the dirty stuff in the loose that that player is supposed to do. McCarthy would replace him. As would Henderson.

Beirne, Baird and Treadwell are on the same track.

If you look at a pack as a collection of roles, then that becomes pretty clear imo.

I think this is most clear on the wing. I don’t think he picked Lowe or Hanson over Balacoune because they are ‘better’. They obviously fit his roles better. There are lots of teams who would prefer balacoune.

edit: this might just be a philosophical thing. I just think modern rugby is such a system game that except for the absolutely elite in any system players, you are almost always picking for role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apart from Furlong and Kilcoyne, who would you put in that bracket?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Farrell has capped 30 players in his 3 years in charge, including Doris, Sheehan, kelleher, hansen, Crowley, Baird, Coombes etc

so on average 10 different players EVERY YEAR.

in the current training squad he also has 3 uncapped players.

so it would objectively appear that your opinion is an erroneous one.

as to the "1 of the reasons why we always under preform (sic) in the world cup" well id love to read your dissertation as to how you come to the conclusion that

(1) we always under perform at RWC time and not manage to be one of the four top rugby countries in the world, and

(2) part of the reason for this is players out of form for months before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

And when you've beaten NZ, in NZ, AND won a Grand Slam some truths ring harder than most.

I think Farrell's mind is made up on the 33.

Hard to see Ireland wining this WC or even a 1/4 final if key frontline players are injured. The replacements are just not good enough. Never mind the 5th choice lock! Or 3rd choice LH. Or 3rd choice backrow.

Even France don't have real depth to replace Dupont or Danty or Fickou.

The inescapable truth for Farrell was and still is the lack of real depth. e.g. Sexton (38), Murray (34), Healy (36) and Earls (38) are still key parts of his squad.

I think the only questions in his mind is how to manage selection at the WC and maximise the impact of all of those older guys.

e.g.

Earls starting at 14 and wining 100th cap v Tonga?

Starting Crowley or Byrne v Tonga

Praying he can take Sexton off relatively early v Scotland

O'Mahony wining 100th cap v SA? or Scot? Or ideally in 1/4 final

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agreed! I like Treadwell and Kleyn. They both do different things. It's not surprising that Kleyn got called up with S.A. He's been in good form. Maybe, Farrell thinks Treadwell would be a good bench option?

Who knows the mindset in the coaching team. I think Farrell has a lot of credit with us, the supporters. How we do in France will be interesting. If we go tits up, this place will be bedlam.

In reality, the selection or non selection of Kleyn isn't a big factor, imo. Sexton being fit is probably the biggest area of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think a lot of people are writing off Treadwell, I think he has a good burst of speed and he carries well. He's a more athletic lock than Kleyn, and that suits the Irish game plan. We're not selecting locks for their size, we're selecting locks that are closer to tall athletic back rows than tall heavy front rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I fully confess to wanting more Munster players in the squad, I also would like to see more Ulster and Connacht players. I prefer it to be a more balanced split, appreciating A. Demographics B. On any measure Leinster are ahead of the other 3 provinces at the moment. Ideally we would have at least a 50:50 split between Leinster and the other 3. I do think however think Cohesion does come into the coaches mind and your average Leinster squad player is likely to get the nod in a close call against a player from another province. If this wins Ireland the world cup I will celebrate as much as the bluest Leinster fan!

Other than big European games where they mostly play the frontline players I don't watch Leinster much, most of their games are over as a contest after 20 mins so I lose interest. Apart from watching all Munster games, many twice I probably see more Ulster and Connacht games as the games tend to be closer so for me more compelling.

On this basis I thought Kleyn worth a look in the squad as he was one of Munster's best players when we were terrible, I also thought Hodnett would make the training squad. Kilcoyne however is probably my biggest shock as I thought he was finished.

Treadwell wasn't in the 6N squad (called in late due to injuries, but Joe McCarthy was in it from the outset. Equally, McCarthy played against Australia in the game before the 6N too, and in between he picked up an injury.

It's clear enough McCarthy has been ahead of Treadwell in the pecking order of late, so the low man of the second rows selected is Treadwell.

He does not carry well.

In fact you could make an argument for him being one of the poorest carriers in Irish rugby - `my stats aren't completely up to date on this, but after c. 21 games for Ulster this season he was statistically their third worst carrier - on 71 carries for just 40m, an average of 0.6 m per carry. That's genuinely awful. Only players I can find with comparably poor carry averages are his usual second row partner Alan O'Connor (0.6m per carry), Andrew Warwick (0.4m per carry) and Stephen Archer (0.8m per carry). Furlong also has under 1m per carry this season, but has insufficient carries for a valid sample.

By no metric is Treadwell a good ball carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

By the metric of when I watched him play in NZ I thought hey, this guy can carry well.

Do you have the stats of what carries he did for Ireland?

• Advertisement

By any measure other than being bigger and faster, I would absolutely describe Lowe and Hansen as better than Baloucoune, but even if you're correct, it's just a different way of saying "better" - "he fits better" is basically "Farrell thinks he's better".

As I am forever telling you, if player A can adapt his game to Farrell's system and player B cannot, then that is a significant failing of player B.

But what's the end result of all this? Either Kleyn isn't good enough, or Kleyn doesn't fit the system, the end result is the same - so why would we bother our arses "keeping him in the system"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Answered this earlier in the thread; TLDR: I’d be amazed if he did, based on what we know.

Also is nobody considering that he may have been approached by South Africa months ago and thus excluded himself from Irish selection?

This is speculation until we know any different. But I’ve already addressed this. What we do know is he said the following as recently as January: 

I’m very much, if it happens, it happens. Obviously, I’d be delighted to play for Ireland again and represent the country. It would be massive for me but if it doesn’t happen, it’s just part of life.

“I’m doing as much as I can here at Munster to put my hand up and at the end of the day, that’s all I can do. I can’t do more than my best. That’s what I feel like I’m putting out there.”

He’ll also be well aware of how SA selection may affect his Munster career. And we also know he’s someone who has put down roots in Limerick. 

So, tbh, based on what we actually do know, I’d be amazed if he did exclude himself from Irish selection.

Yep, in 2022, he averaged 1.7m per carry for Ireland, from 135 mins (7 apps, 1 start). The average carry across the entire 45 players who played for Ireland in 2022 was 3.2m per carry, so he's still way off that.

Only players worse than him in 2022 (in a green shirt) who didn't just have a tiny amount of minutes are Tadhg Furlong (1m per carry) and Craig Casey (1.2m per carry).

For Ireland in 2023, he's only played 7 mins off the bench and didn't have a carry.

He didn't feature for Ireland in 2021, and I don't have stats compiled back any further than that (at the moment).

Doesn’t it matter in terms of why he is choosing them?

You said he chooses the best players and then plans around them. I’m saying he picks a way of playing and then mostly picks players to fit that.

I’d agree there is overlap in that the system you pick is influenced by the players you have.

Kleyn fits the system. He does as much of what Ryan can do as McCarthy can do. Or at least can do as much of it to a good standard. They just decided to go with McCarthy over him.

Edit; i’d also say that bigger and faster is a bigger determiner than ‘big left boot’ or ‘not a tidy winger’ for a lot of countries.

I’d love the inside scoop on what he did in ireland camp to impress so much because i’ve never noticed it in a game .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kleyn does not fit the mold of forward that Farrell selects. Almost to a man, they are athletic, with good vision in attack and an ability to use the ball effectively, on top of all the expected nuts and bolts of play.

Edit; i’d also say that bigger and faster is a bigger determiner than ‘big left boot’ or ‘not a tidy winger’ for a lot of countries.

See, once again you're asking the wrong question. You think Baloucoune is better than Lowe and Hansen, fair enough - but neither Lowe nor Hansen are keeping Baloucoune out. He'd have to get past Stockdale, Earls and Nash to even be in the conversation, he's miles off that pace.

It's like when everyone loses their sh1t over Coombes v Conan, but the actual question is which of Coombes or Prendergast is behind Baird in the queue behind Conan...

Kleyn fits the system. He does as much of what Ryan can do as McCarthy can do.

I'm hugely confused. If you think he fits the system, he's better than McCarthy and he's had his best season ever (without McCarthy's injury issues) - how do you explain his omission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

I heard Hansen on a podcast talking about how much of a bollocking he would get from Farrell at camp before he was up to speed defensively. There was clearly a very steep learning curve which Hansen obviously handled but listening to him it was clear that benchmarks are real and transparent and one assumes that if you don't meet them the coaches move on.

Eddie Jones talks about Ireland being the best defensive team in the world and that is a very important distinction. They are a great attacking team but defensively they are often unplayable, to the point where many of the scores against us are broken play chaos tries like the French one in the 6N. I guess you can see how good the system is when it breaks down, like in the first test in NZ. Anyhow, I could see how even exceptional players blot their copy book.

What are the actual pass stats on ryan vs kleyn vs mccarthy? Anyone have them?

• Advertisement

Yea, all those wingers fit the profile better than balacoune. Stockdale has the big left boot. Earls has played centre and is comfortable coming in. Nash has shown that this year at munster as well. It definitely looks like a type to me.

Coombes is a similar situation. Coombes plays more like Ryan in the loose than Doris or Conan. That’s not a really good back row fit for Ireland. Once you start jumbling up that stuff it does hurt cohesion.

Advertisement