Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four children injured in France knife attack, two in critical condition - **read OP for warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

For 2000 years the history of the Christian faith has been one of genocide, terror and fear. It’s only really in less than the last 100 no where this has changed, coinciding with the secularisation of nominally “christian” societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@200mg wrote:

"If all these people are insane why have off the top of my head none been acquitted when they get to court on those grounds. You can be not normal and also not insane. I waited this long to post as could see it turning out to be a sh*t show from the off. Anders Behring Breivik tried to claim he was insane did he not."

I think in the case of Breivik, it was actually the prosecutors that wanted him declared insane. Breivik's defense team argued successfully that this was not the case.

There was obviously a political angle here. Breivik wanted to be seen as fighting a rational cause and being sent to the nut house would have undermined this. Had Breivik not opposed being declared insane he would have been put into a mental hospital.

Alas far too many threads end up being primarily about point scoring rather than helping each other make sense of what sometimes seems to make little sense. I suppose human nature makes us competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

What can you do when people use every opportunity possible to pain all migrants as potential killers and rapists and a threat? It's not really a logical outlook to brand all migrants like that when one migrant commits a crime is it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I find it astonishing in a thread where kids were stabbed that a handful of posters are concerned about migrants getting a bad game.

Wow is all I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Not knowing anything about the processes myself, I would like to understand why he was looking for asylum in France, if, as I have read, he already had status in Sweden ?

''The suspect, a Syrian refugee named Abdalmasih H by French media, had his asylum request rejected because he has held refugee status in Sweden for the past 10 years.

French authorities rejected the request on 26 April but the suspect only learned of the decision on 4 June, French broadcaster BFMTV said.''

https://news.sky.com/story/syrian-refugee-who-stabbed-british-child-and-five-others-in-annecy-knife-attack-was-denied-asylum-in-france-12899146

Do you, or anyone else here know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

His wife said he no longer wanted to live in Sweden. He had applied for citizenship in Sweden but had been turned down.

Had he been granted citizenship he could have moved permanently to France or another EU country (including Ireland). Without citizenship he could travel throughout Schengen but not settle within the EU therefore in order to settle in another EU country he had to gain refugee status in that other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Nonsense, the Christian faith does not preach terrorism, genocide and fear. It can be argued that the Christian faith and Christian values are what made Europe what it is today, the shining city on the hill. This secularisation is a very recent phenomenon.

The enlightenment is what made Europe what it is today, and that was a secular movement. Prior to this it was a continent of inquisitions, torture, burning's at the stake, crusades, pogroms and genocides. The number of people who do not realise the barbaric nature of European "culture" prior to the 18th century is scary. And the emergence to a more tolerant and enlightened culture took 200 years or so from the 17th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

That is not an honest way of putting it as you're implying (I think?) that Christians persecuted others for 2000 years.

The last Roman emperors to persecute Christians were Constantius who died in 306 AD and Julian the Apostate who reigned from 331 to 363 AD.

Modern persecution of Christians did not begin with the Soviet Union and Communist Spain in the last 100 years. Christians were massacred in the Vendée in the 18th century by French atheist revolutionaries and in Haiti by the natives with the blessing of said atheist revolutionaries.

Christian societies were often peaceful. There wasn't constant bloodshed, terror, fear and pogroms in all Christian societies at all time.

Post-Christian societies and atheists generally have not shown themselves to be any better and are arguably worse. It is about the same.

Post edited by growleaves on

Imagine you could time travel and debate somebody from the past, a 16th century French cleric for instance. You describe the way the world is now completely honestly and accuse people of his time of all those things above.

Now just to take one of your topics, the crusades. Imagine after a little bit of discussion about the crusades, you ended up admitting that America and NATO invaded Iraq in 2003 and were responsible for 1 million deaths there.

What do you think would be the reaction of that cleric?

Possibly if he was a 'good Christian' he wouldn't quite laugh in your face but just explain to you that many ills and injustices of the past exist in the modern world in only slightly altered forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The crusades were merely European Christian’s launching a counter offensive against several centuries of Islamic expansionism

😂

That's why they sacked Constantinople eh?

It was Roman Catholic fanaticism mixed with blatant greed. The Christians in Jerusalem were doing just fine until the "counter offensive"

What would you think the opinion of a French Huguenot from the 16th century would be of the good clerics values? Or that of a Jewish person from any period of time from 1100 to 1945 on European Christian values?

And what was the generic french clerics view on the attempts to bring Christianity to the America's and the devastation it brought with it?

There is an assumption that Europe has always been non-violent utopia and violence has only increased since immigration. Peoples baseline is based on the 1950's which is an anomaly.

You are completely side-stepping my point.

Since you're making no defense against the charge that post-Christian societies also feature bloody wars and other ills and injustices, you're effectively conceding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Show me on person whose ever said that, just one. You're dealing in pure fantasy from what I can see. And it's not an anomaly, it's called progress, actual progress and not modern "progress" which seems to be throwing us all backwards.

Evolution is about evolving, making things better, and Europe was doing a very good job of that until the new strain of supposed "progressivism" came alone. True progress is about improving on what you have, and not flipping everything on its head in the name of some warped form of modern enlightenment.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

People who hate Christianity hate Christianity is my take-away from this discussion.

If they could manage a little evenhandedness they might be more convincing to lurkers and people on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Nah there isn't. The entire history of the human race is basically people being complete kuntz to each other. Europe isn't special in this regard.

• Advertisement

Yes and this peace dividend after 1945 is thanks mainly to Allied Victory. Not clear why New Atheist shitposters think they deserve the credit.

The direction of the one-way traffic NOW tells us all we need to know about which way of life, which set of values is better. People will risk their lives, and their loved ones' lives to come here.

What we have is valuable enough for them to take that risk, and very frequently without any intention of assimilating or integrating into it.

But not valuable enough for Europeans to have the balls to insist that they do precisely that, by citing some reference to Enlightenment values, as though the thing were a monolith of agreement. It was not.

It's pathetic, the modern cowardice around 'nationalism', another perfectly valid (in it's own necessary way) consequence of The Enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Every civilization ultimately fails. Usually by their own hand. Ours will too, and by our own hands. The naysayers will be denigrated, shouted down, socially isolated, silenced, jailed, dehumanised, and maybe even sterilised or killed at some future point.

Not possible? Crazy? Maybe, maybe not, but it's not as if it hasn't happened before in the reasonably recent past.

It's like lemmings orchestrating their own destruction. (Yes I know lemmings don't jump off cliffs, but they breed until they outnumber the available food resources)

They will continue to come here until our countries are as bad or worse than where they left.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Cowardly bastard turns out naturally enough to be a non Christian.

And possibly not a great scholar of 'Die Aufklarung' either.

Exactly the point. The undercurrent on this thread is Europeans were perfect until the Muslims came along. Whereas in reality Europe was an incredibly violent and in humane place and the acts committed by individuals and nations in the name of their religion were barbaric the extreme.

And while Islam does have a problem with fanaticism to just blindly state that it is a religion of fanatics is to blindly ignore what similar fanaticism in Christian countries has wrought over centuries and to ignore the reasons that Islamic fanaticism has exploded in then by last century - namely European powers dividing up the Middle East with no concern given to the cultural and tribal boundaries that already existed meaning that a religious fanaticism emerged as the only why that those diverse peoples in the new countries that were created could be united. An appeal to fanatasism was also a large part of the creation of the European states we see today where disparate tribal groups were united under monarchs supported by the tyranny of church, with religious fanaticism abounding.

The Islamic world needs to have its own restoration to the type of society that was developing there on the past where the likes of Tehran, Damascus and Cairo were vibrant and tolerant cities , but decrying all Muslims as fanatics won’t achieve that

The evidence presented is the the individual came from an othodox Christian village, was in the Syrian army before absconding in 2012. The name they were known as is a Christian name. They were confirmed to have been found wearing Christian symbols and an unconfirmed claim they had a cross tattoo. Not very likely for an Islamic fanatic.

A claim has been made that this is a false identity and is being circle jerked about the fringes of the internet. The is no evidence for this claim however as yet. The main “evidence” seemed to be a claim that Abdemassih is too obvious a Christian name and nowadays Christian Syrians use neutral names.

The individual has been further identified however as Karim Abdelmassih Hanoun. Karim being a neutral first name and in the Syrian naming tradition Abdelmassih being his fathers name.

Reports from the individuals area in Syria claim they had no criminal record, which does suggest and individual of that name existed in Syria.

A claim has be made without evidence that their real name is Selman Majd, a Muslim. It is not unheard of for individuals seeking asylum to alter their identity to one that may make gaining asylum more straightforward so cannot be ruled out.

irrespective of religion the only conclusion that can safely be drawn however is that the individual was deranged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think that peace was helped by the invention of nuclear weapons and strong defensive alliances. Teller and Oppenheimer were certainly not religious.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

[quote]The Islamic world needs to have its own restoration to the type of society that was developing there on the past where the likes of Tehran, Damascus and Cairo were vibrant and tolerant cities , but decrying all Muslims as fanatics won’t achieve that[/quote]

Indeed.

More pertinently, it will certainly not be achieved by the West allowing all the doctors and engineers there to abandon those places for more prosperous shores, by dangerous means, and with not enough screening.

That is a serious ethical issue, I think. And one blindly ignored by the propagandists for mass immigration, in their giddy excitement about 'diversity being our strength'. It isn't.

I'm well aware of European history. I don't blindly ignore it. And I'm around long enough and have experienced enough of Muslims to abhor the use of the term 'fanatic' to all, in a blanket fashion. Not because doing so would somehow feed their oppression, but because it's just blatantly untrue.

But I don't hesitate to say that I care a lot more about the impact of Muslim fanaticism in Europe today, than I do about what goes on in the Middle East.

I don't have what so many Christian-bashers, ironically enough, have in these issues ie a saviour-complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Lemming going off a cliff was the invention of Hollywood IIRC some movie. They had to heard them off the cliff too.

Advertisement