Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. When I was a kid I owned A link to the Past and Link's Awakening on SNES and Gameboy. I played them both to death and really enjoyed them. I haven't played a computer game in years but have been thinking of buying a Switch just to get this new Zelda game.

The main thing holding me back is that I actually did this in the past. I bought a Game Cube and The Wind Waker. I remember that I didn't really enjoy that. As far as I recall there seemed to involve far too much time sailing around and I gave up on it - not even bothering to finish it.

So for anyone who has played all of the above games, was the Wind Waker more boring than the others? If that's not the case then perhaps I just didn't have sufficient interest anymore and the same thing would likely happen again if I bought this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And that's credits rolled.

Will go back tomorrow to do more shrines and side stuff. Think I have 50 more shrines to get.

Now out of curiosity, can watch a speed running video to see how it's done in just over an hour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Had a big long response typed out & something glitched it away before I could post it! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway! There is still travelling in the game but not nearly as relentless as Wind Waker. It’s an incredible game & something I’m looking forward to making my way through slowly for the next while. In my opinion it’s worth buying, even if you have to buy the Switch to play it on! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I got Wind Waker for Wii U. The HD version. And I found it quite tedious in places. Had to force myself through it and still haven't finished it. It has beautiful music, art ...and is great in places, but it also drags like hell.

Have to say I found Links Awakening remake on Switch to be tedious and obtuse.

Loved a Link between worlds on 3ds and Ocarina of time on N64. Amazing games.

Could not really get into Majora's Mask ... yet ...

Had to force myself to finish Skyward Sword on Wii.

All above played as an adult at various stages of adulthood 😁

But, BOTW and TOTK ( and Ocarina of Time) are probably my favourite games of all time. They are joyful and wonderful. I played BOTW twice, it was that good + the DLC. And TOTK is just as good, if not better, but I haven't completed it yet, so I'll reserve judgement. They are the sort of games you don't want to end. 😁

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

They are the sort of games you don't want to end. 😁

This. 100% this. I’m intentionally playing through it slowly just so it doesn’t have to end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah Im going to start doing the same. Gona play until I get a quest that sounds like the end (dont think Im that far away) then do all my exploring. When Ive uncovered everything I want to I'll finish the game. I dont want it to end either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The game is quite generous in where it lets you drop a traveler's medallion to swing back to — have one waiting just outside the endgame so don't have to redo the build-up. It almost makes up for the frequency of blood moons, especially when they while you're halfway through clearing out a cave and it quite shamelessly undoes all your hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

There's over 300 travel points in the game and you can drop a few travel medallions too. Getting about is a cinch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keep planning to go to the Zora area and end up not even getting close. Went to where the Horse God was in the original game and now find I've a bit of questing to do. Opened up all the great fairies last night but the final upgrades are steep and I was using materials for crafting a lot. Also fought my first Gleeok, the thunder one in the colisseum. Wow, that was an incredible fight. Puts to shame the combat in the likes of Horizon. Went exploring the depths up in the northern area as I was there with the great fairy quest and ended up there after completing the northern labyrinth. I was severely behind on roots (79 shrines, only 13 roots). Got a lot of roots there and also found my way to the Deku Tree. That will be my next starting point.

Might give it a break tonight to play Tactics Ogre and finish off Star Fox but probably just end up back on Zelda.

The amount of fun and interesting things this backs in per square meter of overworld is outrageously generous.

Discovering there's a fair bit more going on on the sky than you might initially think, despite it looking like the more barren of the 3 maps. Saw a little island in the corner of my eye and ended up spending ages on opening up Sky Mine.

• Advertisement

Yep.

Nintendo game requirements: Fun, joyful, colourful, appeals to everyone. Makes life worth living. Timeless.

Microsoft game requirements: dystopian bleak world with vampires and/or zombies, 18+ cert. First Person Shooter. Psychological horror. Kill Sony. GamePass Day One !

😁😁😁

Before Switch my last Nintendo console was Gameboy. My friends had N64 and were always raving about Ocarina Of Time. I never looked at the reviews until it was mentioned in this thread. I think after TOTK I'll have to play it. The review scores are unreal.

Over 100 shrines and 50 lightroots now. Loving the way theyve done the labyrinths. When you defeat the construct always check everywhere before leaving into the Depths. There are high powered weapons to be had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just a caveat about Ocarina of Time. On release it was a massive leap in how adventure games should be designed in 3D as well as a very successful translation of a beloved franchise to 3D which was quite rare at the time. The Rave reviews were well deserved at the time but it's aged quite a bit. That's not to say it's a bad game but it can take a while before it really grips you as you won't have the wow factor of the visuals to grab you now. The game can take a while to grip you.

If you do want something that will grip you from the off then try Link to the Past or Links Awakening. Two incredible games well worth your time.

Also play the 3DS remaster rather than the original, it’s an all-round more pleasant experience than the N64 original.

Alternatively, just go straight to Majora and thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Deleted

Post edited by ShaneU on

I found Majora's Mask even harder to get into. I mean it's for sure a better game but it took until the first temple for me to get the game and start enjoying it.

Anyway back to TotK. I did some of the depths last night and ended up fighting a gloom king gleeok. Now that was a battle and a half. Many deaths and then I went in seriously prepared with anti gloom food, weapons and stat buffs. The king Gleeok is a lot trickier with how his beams work tracking you compared to the thunder one I faced. Managed to take him out. Then I decided to go to the Zora domain, got side tracked so I guess I'm exploring Akkala now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I've not played this properly in about 2 weeks. Kinda not wanting to go to death mountain or haven't wanted to explore. The weather is too nice.

Rolled credits there, looks like someone took the feedback to BotW's finale personally. Hell of a spectacle to wrap things up.

I'm on the last quest. Still so much of the world to explore though. I'm only about 50 light roots in. About 80 shrines. Haven't even touched two of the Labyrinths. There's still sky Islands to explore.

It's a bit overwhelming to be honest.

• Advertisement

Just noticed the Depths light roots names are the reverse of the corresponding shrine name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would someone mind putting in spoilers what the name of the final main storyline quest is? I'm worried about accidentally going into it. I tried googling it but couldn't find it easily and was worried about spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You'll not be too surprised to find out it's (and I didn't think this counts as a spoiler) "Destroy Ganondorf".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Safe enough so! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished the Dragons Tears memories this morning. 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So I lost the Hylian Shield. Either in the Lone Island Coliseum or somewhere in the desert in the sand storms. Didnt realise for about an hour when I realised I had a Boko Shield on. Went back to the Coliseum but all the goodies were gone and no chance of finding it in the desert if I did get electrocuted.

Yeah same last night. Wasn't expecting that. Excellent but 🥹. Also some clues on the last sage as I have the other 4. So good for me. Ive heard the spirit temple mentioned here but not seen it yet.

100+ hours in now, still Shrine hunting and getting distracted. I might start the Temples this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Was randomly exploring a new area last night. Then i realized it was the Zora domain. Reluctantly starting my third temple tonight

• Advertisement

It lasted me 80% of the game and somehow managed to lose it at the final boss. 'Lose' as in actually lose it, it wasn't destroyed or anything. Every other shield felt super scaldy in comparison.

Advertisement