Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Waiting Room and Delivery Queries (No referral links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

For the people who were involved in teslagate in march, were the discounts more significant than what is being offered now? I think they were.

There were not many cars floating around in march, seems to be loads now!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 hostoi

There were about 80 cars in March, all with similar discounts (if not identical) to what you see today, most of them gone within the first 30 min after showing up. I had a discounted one also a few weeks ago (the one with the tow hitch that ended up not being eligible for the grant). They were telling me that after the whole circus in March they have better systems in place and shouldn't make such mistake again. So I don't know... I for one just collected my car today, decided not worth the risk of ending up with no car and a reduced grant by the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭max4ever

in March it was 5k , now it is 3K so yeah it was better in March.

BTW, in other EU markets .. discount was ~3K on 4th March then was increased around the same time for the fire sale to around 5k .. so it might happen again but if you are happy with configuration go for it.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y using my referral link -> https://www.tesla.com/referral/mohamed23185 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Yes, I had bagged a Blue LR M Y with a towbar for €51042, showroom discount was -€5640. They had more discount but they had additional spec that buyers didn’t necessarily want. I didn’t want the towbar but would have liked a LR in Blue for that price. The way the cancellations were handled was the worst part.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yazzer

Picked up MYLR last night on sale. Build date is end April which means its in transit

They used the excuse last time ‘cars which are in transit cannot receive a showroom discount’:

If this statement is true then the sale price is invalid - in that case I'll stick with my original order

If the statement is not true (its covering up for some other reason) then the sale price will hold - then I'll cancel 1 and take 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Exact same situation. The difficult bit will be verifying if the discount will be honoured. There is almost nothing a Tesla employee can say which would make me believe the discount will be honoured. There will need to be a leap of faith at some point.

There’s examples in this thread of people having Tesla employees confirm prices and asking for payment the night before delivery only for cancellation to occur the morning of.

The Ireland delivery team are the only people who have a clue what’s going on, but it’s very difficult to get hold of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dunnea1234

At this time of the year, do you think it would be better to custom order now (and wait months) or wait for existing inventory in the hope something comes sooner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was there a walking map from the Citywest bust stop to the Tesla collection somewhere ? (How the hell do you search a thread any more ???)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Found it. Walking directions from bus stop are on page 227 of this thread in case anyone else needs them

• Registered Users Posts: 32 YUYAXUAN

I wonder for any of you got the SEAI grant form when you managed to pick up a discounted tesla in the fire sale in March??

I have order 1 to collect next tuesday but can't resist the temptation of the discount and put 2nd order on the discounted ones yesterday..

I haven't got the SEAI grant form to order 2, wonder if that would be a sign that those dicounts are legit at least?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 YUYAXUAN

7 weeks of transfer from one order to another? Or 7 weeks for refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ONGS

Not a lot of people will want to hear this but honestly, and you all know this is true, all the people ordering 2 and 3 cars are the reason Tesla are struggling to deal with orders and delivery times. You’re the reason “fire sales” come up, the reason cars get dumped in to inventory at a reduced price and at an earlier than expected delivery date. You’re the exact same people who moan. YOU’RE THE PROBLEM! It’s obvious if you read over all the posts on this form. If this gets your goat up it because the truth is never easy to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Nice first post 🙈 nothing to with Tesla allowing this?

I am transferring from existing order to new order.

I got email confirmation from Tesla IE saying transfer request of funds from one car to another has been initiated.

As a matter of interest, did you have to cancel the existing order or did they let you hold onto it? Just in case they pull a Tesla which sounds very likely based on info from poster earlier?

7 weeks for a refund, don’t think anyone from firesale had a transfer done. They were told it wasn’t possible. My example was more just to illustrate that if Tesla says something will take X long. You should usually triple it at least.

I agree with you to some degree, I have seen posts where people have ordered multiple cars, why do people do this? If you have no intention of buying multiple cars, just order one!!

Why do Tesla let people do this?

I am part of the problem now as I have cancelled my original order to hopefully pick up a discounted car. I am trying to protect my investment, by picking up a car for a discount of 3k. If it works out great, if not I am done!

In the scenario above we are all culpable, but it starts with the individuals ordering multiple cars with the intention of only picking one or even none!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Significantly better as it brought cars that were outside the grant spec under the grant spec, so then double discount. That’s why they were cancelled. Most of these cars now are already under the grant so the discounts are real seemly.

They said original order will be cancelled when transfer of funds is completed. I asked them not to do this. Agent ended chat before clarifying if original order will be cancelled.

I plan on clarifying with Tesla IE tomorrow, I will report back.

That's a good point, a lot of the cars in March had a retail of over 60k, so no grant applicable. Tesla wrongly applied the SEAI 5k grant, compounding the problem.

For those thinking of an inventory car, make sure total retail is <60k, before discounts and grant is applied. Click on the "I" icon on top right of each car to see original retail price. If this price is >60k, no grant applicable.

You may be right in reality, but this was not the reason Tesla cited at the time. It is however the reason they have cited for more recent cancellations.

Fire sale cancellation email did not even mention the SEAI grant. Was due to ‘showroom adjustments’ being applied to cars not in the showroom.

I thought it was nonsense at the time but it is the reason they used. It would be some weird business model though if they cancel all these car, move them to showroom late June when they arrive in Dublin, discount them again, then scramble to sell. But it’s Tesla after all, so things rarely make much sense.

fire sale email extract.

“We are writing to notify you of a recent pricing error on the Tesla website advertising a number of which was subject to an undue price adjustment. These vehicles were advertised in error as showroom and ex-demonstrator vehicles when in fact they were new vehicles that have not arrived in the Republic of Ireland.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Maybe one of the richest men in the world needs to spend some cash implementing decent admin systems.

I can’t think of another company that offers discounts for new orders while expecting those awaiting patiently for delivery of the exact same product to pay a higher price.

But you’re right it’s the customers not their crappy systems.

Not sure you can lay all of the blame on the customers that place multlple orders to buy 1 car. Tesla have a really crap system where they randomly build cars, put them on ships and try to match them to customer orders. It’s a system that works for Apple building iPhones, I’m not sure it’s as successful when it comes to cars. Tesla in Ireland is a bit like a startup, not quite there yet. Being ran from the UK where they don’t seemed to have grasped the vagaries of the Irish market of SEAI Grants, VRT etc. Obviously cancelled orders creates mayhem but a €250 refundable deposit is enabling such mayhem. €250 is a very small deposit on a €50K purchase even if it wasn’t refundable.

Agreed. Throw in that

• Tesla don’t deliver cars in a fair order (I.E. the date you order) meaning placing multiple orders increases your chance of getting your car when they say they’ll get it to you (or put simply, stop others skipping you in the queue)

• They have a track record of cancelling cars at the very last second on multiple occasions. They put you to the back of the queue when they do this

• If they do a flash sale, they actively tell you to order the new car and cancel your existing car if you want the discount rather than price match.

It’s a system which is pretty much built to incentivise multiple orders in every possible way. My only regret is I didn’t order more cars, if I had it back I’d order 5 or more of the same car. I’d have had it months ago if I didn’t stick with the single order. I’d advise anyone ordering in future to do the same - lots and lots of orders. Easy to cancel them.

Getting the car you want at the cheapest possible price at the time promised…or… pay a higher price and wait longer for the car in order to protect the terribly managed supply chain of the worlds richest man. Tough one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭max4ever

This is not accurate at all, Tesla doing discounts got nothing to do with people ordering multiple cars .. it is increasing inventory issue that Tesla faces for the last 9 months globally and they keep doing end of quarter sale in almost every country to get rid of the extra stock .. Ireland was different since we didnt have stock till this one.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y using my referral link -> https://www.tesla.com/referral/mohamed23185 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Picked up today, pretty sweet ride in fairness, managed to go from J14 to Limerick full speed with A/C on full blast

Something I used to only dream of in the leaf lol

Well wear with the new car, it’ll be a sea change from a Nissan Leaf. They really have no place on the motorway unless you’re getting off a the next exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭onemadcat

Sorry - I dont understand why we think Tesla are going to cancel todays discounted cars.

They were under grant threshold before discount and seem to be new cars - not demos or ex display based on milage quoted - i.e 12km same as any new car advertised.

What am I missing?

Nothing. I completely agree with you.

Don’t mind the doomsdayers 😃

• Advertisement

I’m still on the fence, but three reasons

1. Main one - a poster on here was advised that Sandyford staff are saying discounts will not be honoured. This was precisely how firesale news was discovered. I don’t know why Sandyford staff would go around saying cars will be cancelled if they had no information on this. The default position is always ‘order is grand’…until it isn’t.
    2. The firesale was cancelled last time precisely because the cars were not showroom cars. If you hover over the discount it says ‘showroom adjustment’. Tesla advised at the time that showroom adjustments cannot be applied to new cars in transit, which these cars are.
    3. Its Tesla.

Advertisement