Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trump is keeping Walt Nauta very close. Wonder what effect that particular ruling will have on that relationship? If Nauta pivots to an independent counsel, not funded by Trump's PAC and was to be flipped. Every conversation with Trump since the indictment and up to time of the flip would be fair game for questioning.

I don't think it's needed anyway as Trump Employees 1 & 2 are likely sufficient as witnesses.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And why would people who didn't vote for him in 2020, and who voted against his candidates in 2022, vote for him in 2024?

You don't need to remind me who will decide this election, but the independent voters are the ones who actually do the critical thinking and don't vote along party lines regardless. They actually have to analyse their performance and policies and assess their impact.

So, with all of this in mind. Why would an independent voter vote for someone who since 2020 has been indicted on criminal federal charges and also led an insurrection to the Capitol because he refused to accept the results of a democratic process called an election?

Do not mistake his personal popularity with the dregs of society as anything meaningful, because they're not going to be the ones who decide this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Young voters have come out in droves against him while more and more of his, quite old and antivax base of voters, keeps dying off.

Technically possible and an election to be vigilant of but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I find this absolutely bonkers. Walt Nauta is banged to rights and his boss is not forking out for his defense. How in god’s name will he fall on his sword and not flip when he gets told “see trump doesn’t give a **** about you”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

And Trump is some kind of Adonis? Turning up on January 6th to address Qanoners and Alex Jones fans isn’t exactly a sign of firing on all cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Trump incited a riot/insurrection/coup whatever you're having yourself and was recently found liable for sexual assault.

But...but...BiDen FeLl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Speaking of anti vax, Robert Kennedy Jr may complicate things.

• Advertisement

A man who falls over a couple of times vs a man who is a known toxic brand and has successfully lost in the last three election cycles because he just can't help himself.

F*cking hell, what a tough decision that is.

Answer my question, why would anyone who voted against Trump in 2020, and against his candidates who lost in swing states in 2022, vote for him in 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Be a realist and not let your cognitive bias cloud your judgement. We heard all this when he was against Hilary, he never had a chance and yet he won. His support levels look stronger this time round at this stage even with all the shenanigans.

The thought of Trump getting another term is absolutely **** sickening but he is definitely in with a chance.

If he gets in after Jan 6th antics it is the end of that country. He won't be relinquishing his second term.

The risk is very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The risk is very real ,and such is his fanatical support even if he serves jail time it will be seen as an attack by the left wing.

The only chance is if a good republican candidate can beat him in the Primaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"His support levels look stronger this time round at this stage even with all the shenanigans"

No, it absolutely does not

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The American system makes it a two person choice. Biden could fall asleep and píss himself during a debate and still have been more rational and coherent than Trump would manage as he wails about "LEFT" "MAN" "WOKE" "STEAL" "TV" "MAGA" "HUNTER".

I’ll ask this question once again.

Why would independent voters in swing states, who have turned against Trump in 2020 and solidified that turn in the 2022 midterms towards Trump-candidates, vote for him in 2024?

What has he done to win their support back? He had it in 2016 because he was an unknown entity.

It’s not an unknown entity anymore. He has served a full-term and rational, independent voters have seen the light and they will not go back.

If Trump is on the ballot, expect turnout to be very high, and expect him to lose, again, because the independent voters in those swing states decide this election like they decide every election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Funnily enough, not acting like a mixture between a spoilt baby and a raging psycho is still something that voters value, even if the MAGA base doesn't. Trump has done absolutely nothing to win back independent voters since 2020 and unless that changes, he has no chance.

Biden trips or falls off his bike, versus Trump purposefully mishandling national security classified documents...

As others have said, the election will be won by whoever independents in key states swing towards. Trump didn't get enough of them in 2020. He'll almost certainly have lost more of them by 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Trumpy is raging theres no mugshot.

Think of the merchandise potential wasted!

• Advertisement

Given the quality of his NFTs, I'd say any mugshot merchandise would be so heavily edited that it'd look more like a police sketch made from a blind Trump supporter trying to describe to the artist what he thinks Trump looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

What nobody really seems to be talking about much is the question of what, if any, fruit that all these 'questions' about election security has borne for Republicans since 2020. People will say that election deniers did not do well in the 2022 midterm elections, and that would seem to be true, but I'm talking about on a much more granular level than that in terms of anybody who is in a position to influence the outcome of Presidential elections at a state by state level, be that members of a state legislature, judges, state election officials and so on. What pieces are being moved into place in this regard, if any, and what steps if any are being taken to counteract it? Obviously, any Republican strategist will recognise that on the party's current policy trajectory, they're probably looking at a popular vote loss in any nationwide election in the normal course of things. It would therefore be a priority, assuming they cannot change message, to then look toward disenfranchising as many voters as possible in as many districts where they have the power to do so.

In the normal course of things, yes I absolutely agree that independent voters decide these elections, but 2024 is shaping up to be anything but a normal election - we're quite possibly looking at the business end of the campaign running concurrently with one of the nominees' criminal trial, and America at a level of political polarisation quite unlike anything seen in recent memory, at the least. In that cauldron, I don't think anyone should be resting on the laurels of things being predictable from an electoral standpoint. Reasonable Americans must be very much on guard for another concerted effort on their democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

‘[record scratch] Yeah that’s me. I’m Lindsay Graham, trying to explain to millions of Americans how I’m not in “a Trump cult,”’

Apparently, trump is doing what trump does.

Dig himself a deeper hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hotintheazdesert

Respectfully please.

I've been here in the states now for 13+ years. Prior to that I lived in Europe for 5+ years. I grew up and went to college in Ireland.

In my opinion the purpose of politics is to be devise.

The US is being purposefully turned into a Shia/Sunni landscape.

The toxicity of discussion and the inability to debate/discuss is a feature not a bug.

The future at this point is highly uncertain, but most certInly gravitates on each individuals ability to focus on the cause of the disturbance.

Simple things like having some time away from the maddening crowd and social media is undoubtedly an interesting take in this modern world.

The future is and unwritten story, but will ultimately be predicated upon our ability to parse the narratives which we are being fed.

You are not alone.

Peace and love to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So he pled not guilty to the charges.

Then a few hours later, which can be used as evidence against him, he admitted he was entitled to have the documents.

He's cracking up.

You never know in America though, sexual assault wasn't enough to jail him...

The sexual assault was a civil case, not criminal. He couldn't be sent to jail as a remedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I hope I am wrong but I do think, if Trump is on the ballot, the voting will be closer than expected. Not because of any policies that Trump will have but because of gerrymandering and voting fraud/exclusion type shenanigans. After all it was Trump voters who were found guilty of fraud and I can see more cases being found next time if he riles up his base.

So I’ll ask you as well.

How will he get independent voters in key swing states who turned their backs on him in 2020 to vote for him again, considering what has happened since?

This is how it will be closer like you think it will be.

If anyone can answer that question I would genuinely appreciate it. I’m getting really sick and tired of asking it and everyone ignoring it.

And for the record, ‘but Biden…’ isn’t an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

If it wasn’t for Covid, Trump could have won the 2020 election.

It’s unlikely he’ll win in 2024 but I’d never say never, this is Yank politics at the end of the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement