Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The implications of the Pepper Finance (vulture fund mortgages) Court Ruling.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

If they were able to switch to a mainstream bank or credit union they wouldn't be paying 8%.

The poster has said they never missed a payment previously so I'm wondering why they haven't been able to switch. Maybe their circumstances have changed since they took out the mortgage initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Likewise, X took a gamble that they would be able to pay off the mortgage. In cases where they are not able, there should be a repossession, house put on the market and X's obligation cleared. This would seem to be the fairest solution. The bank loses on the sale, X loses the house and will find it difficult to get a mortgage again for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If the playing field was level I'd agree with you, but the housing situation in Ireland for the last 30 years has been nuts, and its been driven nuts primarily by banks and property developers, not Joe public/X who just wants somewhere to live.

Pepper etc service the sub prime end of the market. I would imagine most if not all mortgages transferred would have had some form of restructuring, therefore a main lender would not be willing to take the risk on. If Pepper bought the loan at 50c on the euro, then surely they would be delighted if they could sell it on at full rate and lock in profit. Unfortunately for the borrowers, the sub prime lending rate is very high and likely to go a bit higher as the ECB continues to increase rates (although looks like it is nearly done).

I would disagree with that. The property bubble required willing borrowers, many of whom looking to make a quick buck, it was absolute insanity back then. The banks have clearly shown an inability to assess risk and politicians an inability to take the Koolaid away from the party => central bank needs to have lending rules.

• Advertisement

I know how it works. My point is that the poster referring to having an 8% interest rate has posted on this thread that their mortgage was sold to one of these funds and they've never been in arrears or missed a payment.

Either they're leaving out some details or their circumstances have changed, maybe property is in negative equity etc etc meaning they can't switch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But how do you end up on an 8% rate if that is not the current prevailing variable mortgage rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Unless they are in negative equity or some weird fixed term variable interest product, the first thing that they should do is switch if the mortgage is sold to pepper. Nothing wrong with these so called vulture funds, it's a creation of the market we have built where repossessions are almost non existent.

My current rate for my mortgage is 2.89% and I have another year or so left of the fixed term. If when I go onto variable rate my mortgage was sold and interest rate put to 8% I'd switch as a matter of urgent priority.

It's the prevailing sub prime variable rate. It actually makes sense to have a higher rate for higher risk borrowers.

Through inertia perhaps. 8% isn't the current prevailing variable mortgage rate. It's the rate charged by one provider. BOI etc have far lower variable rates.

Based on the information presented by the person in the thread they should be able to switch to a provider that offers a lower fixed or variable rate. Maybe they've left out some details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I would imagine most if not all mortgages transferred would have had some form of restructuring

That's the kicker, not all mortgages sold to vulture funds are/have been in difficulty, they sell some performing loans to sweeten the deal.

Anyone with a performing loan should switch to another lender as soon as their lender notifies them their mortgage will be sold, some might not understand the implications, or their personal circumstances may have changed since they took out the original mortgage, so they get stuck on a higher rate. As far as I know a fixed rate won't increase, but if you're on a preferential variable rate the increase will be crippling.

Now, if lenders could repossess houses with unperforming mortgages there would be no need for them to sell off loans. Those who pay are being shafted because of those who can't or won't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

See here in lies the dilemma. I know things that you might not know and indeed a lot of people might not know. Sub Prime Lenders are the most dodgey thing going. There used to be a Sub Prime Lender here called "Stepstone" they were quite big here in the Sub Prime market pre-2008 crash (I think they still exist but not in Ireland). what A LOT of people don't know is that Stepstone was a part KBC (IIB at the time). Same Staff, Same Building, etc. So you have a bank entity offering rate X to one person and rate Y to another, based on their credit history (which I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do). It's supposed to be either a "yes" or a "no"

And you are correct in that the Central Bank had SFA lending rules and the ones that they did have were not enforced or even checked.

Well I don't think there should be sub prime new lending although it was a thing in the bubble of course. They would have been allowed to do that due to the fact that it was 2 different companies, the location of the company is completely irrelevant.

Just to illustrate how nuts it was at that time to the younger generation that may not remember:

He bought properties in Bulgaria on a credit card because he saw a guy do it on an episode of Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Banks in the US can readily repossess when mortgages are in default, but they routinely sell off their loans. The two decisions are unconnected.

There's surely most choice for mortgage providers there though? No one is entering the Irish market because of the difficulties faced repossessing while the mortgage holder sits pretty and doesn't pay.

Base rates here are higher because of the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The decision of Irish banks to sell loans to investment funds are directly connected abet with an element of nuance.

Irish banks sold loans to external funds was because they had to clean up their balance sheets to meet more stringent ECB regulations around banks. Because of how difficult it is for Irish to enforce security on mortgages, they are relatively risky and that drives up the amount of capital Irish banks must hold in reserve.

Had it been/was easier for banks to enforce security on mortgages it's probable less loans would have been sold off. However even if it was easy for banks to enforce security a certain percentage of loans would still have been sold. As one article I read recently entities like Peppers etc are an essential part of the financial ecosystem.

The problem for anyone with a variable rate loan owned by an investment fund is that as ECB rates/inflation rates have gone up the cost of funding for Peppers etc have also gone up. Anyone with a mortgage with an Irish bank has been insulated from this as Irish banks have been very slow to increase deposit rates. Deposit are a major scource of funding for Irish banks and due to only having 3 major banks competition is limited. We effectively have a 2 tier mortgage market.

Comparing Irish banks to US banks is not a great idea due to the different regulatory environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I tried switching last year before these rate rises via a broker who tried all the mainstream banks and I was refused as I dont earn enough, the funny thing is that I was trying to switch to a 5 year fixed rate of just over 2% which they thought I wouldn’t be able to afford yet hear I am paying 8% without missing a payment! I have an absolutely crystal clear perfect credit history with zero missed payments of any description. But because I don’t tick the necessary income level box I am stuck with pepper. I spoke to mabs who aren’t much help because I’m not actually in arrears

Did you earn a lot more when you got the mortgage or something?

I see what you're saying, but I'm not convinced. For a bank, the risk in lending is that you won't get repaid. If you don't get paid, the mortgage is in default and you lose money; being able to repossess doesn't eliminate the risk if — as was the case in the years after 2008 — the market value of the house is less than the balance on the loan.

In a US-style environment, a lender would have a choice in that situation; repossess, in which case you definitely lose but you crystallise and limit your losses, or manage the defaulting loan in the hope that the borrower can at least partly meet his obligations, which will also limit your losses and leaves open the possibility that, in time, the borrower may actually clear the loan, or at least pay more than you would get on repossession and sale. Deciding which is the better option - i.e. the one likely to net the bank most money - is not easy, and neither option eliminates the risk of loss. In many cases, in the US environment, the choice is actually made by the borrower, who simply hands back the property and thereby escapes any liability for the shortfall. If borrowers can make that choice, they will naturally tend to make the choice which is most advantageous to them, which tends to be the choice which is most disadvantageous to the lender, so it doesn't seem that this would reduce the lenders' risk - logically, it should increase it.

Which would explain why, in fact, banks in the US very commonly do sell off their loan books. Just like here, it's then the purchaser of the loan book who makes decisions about how to manage defaulting loans.

I think the key difference between the US and Irish mortgage markets is that, in the US, fixed rate mortgages for the entire term of the loan, or for a very long part of it, are common, even standard. This greatly reduces the buyer's risk; you don't get a 3% loan and then find yourself a couple of years later trying (and failing) to service the same loan at 8%. And that, of course, reduces the rate of default; i.e. it reduced the bank's risk. That, more than ready recourse to repossession, may explain the narrower profit margins, and therefor lower costs, in the US mortgage market.

• Advertisement

You are looking at it from the point of view of a market collapse in values a la 2008. Even in this case, say if someone was delinquent in 2009, it would have been better to immediately repossess and sell rather than wait years with no payments in many cases. Also, what about a more normal case, someone stops paying the mortgage for a year, 2 years, 8 years etc? As an example:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

That was infuriating those good for nothing spongers got to live for free for the guts of 10 years with absolutely no repercussions whatsoever.

Pointing to one loan that has been in arrears for 8 years doesn't show that this is typical, and isn't an argument for devising a mortgage market that focusses on limiting losses from loans of this kind.

But in fact the case you have chosen illustrates the problem I'm pointing to very neatly. The loan went into arrears in 2010, at which time the property was almost certainly worth less than had been advanced, so foreclosure would still have left the lender with a considerable loss. And, while we don't know about the value of this house, house prices generally continued to decline until 2013. They didn't reach their 2010 level again until 2018. And, because the newspaper report doesn't say when the house was bought, we don't know when its value might have reached the value on which the loan was advanced.

All of which suggests that the long delay in enforcing the mortgage wasn't necessarily because the lender couldn't repossess; it may have been partly, or even largely, because the lender didn't want to repossess. Repossession was still going to leave them with a large loss, and they might have hoped to limit their losses by waiting. If the borrower could get his businesses back on track, and resume making payments on his mortgage, this might be a better outcome for the lender than immediate repossession. Even if he couldn't, the bank would still have been better off if property prices had recovered faster than the (then very low) cost of money.

In short, early repossession is not the panacea for lenders that many seem to assume.

It was a very public case but far from unique. There were many cases where people were multiple years without payments. You are pointing to the recovery and saying "look it worked out well", but they wouldn't have known that in say 2012.

It may well have been better to repossess and rent it out for example, certainly better than leaving them in the house paying nothing for years.

No we got our mortgage back in 2007 when they weren’t exactly fussy about who they lent to, that attitude obviously led to a lot of unsuitable people being lent lots of money which caused all sorts of issues, I always presumed having a great credit history would be a big help with any future mortgage lending but it seems I’d be better off defaulting as I would get more help if I was in arrears, as it is we are just working to pay bills with no money to spare and no sign of any relief in the future and stuck in no man’s land

Ok, but, without being in arrears for 16 years, there should be a lot paid off the mortgage so the loan to income would be a lot better now surely?

unfortunately not! We borrowed €247k in 2007 and still owe €205k. We got our mortgage through start mortgages and the lowest rate we’ve ever had was 4.75%. So 15 years paid and another 25 to go. Sounds even more depressing when I type it out

That might give you some idea as to the profit that’s being made on the likes of my mortgage and yet they refused my application of fixing it at 5% for the next 12 months to help us avoid falling into arrears

Oh man, well sorry to hear that. I wonder how many people are in this type of situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But you are still ignoring banking regulations. The fact is the ECB regulations are far tighter for European banks when compared to the US. In the US small to medium banks face lower amounts of regulation. They were given some exemptions from the updated Basel III regulations. This lack of regulation was a factor in the recent bank failures in the US.

The reason Irish banks offloaded so many loans to non banks was due to the requirement under updated banking regulations to clean up their balance sheets. This is despite it being a very unpopular measure in Ireland politically. The term "Vulture funds" is testament to that. It was forced by the ECB in an effort to clean up banks and make them more secure. The fact is US banks by and large did not and do not face the same regulatory pressures. Bringing US banks and therefore regulatory pressures into the discussion is comparing apples with oranges.

The fact is Irish mortgages are considered relatively risky because of how hard it is to enforce security. I do appreciate the ability to enforce security on a loan is not the only factor when it comes to risk. However its a major factor. While you obviously disagree with how risky Irish mortgages are relatively speaking, the issue is regulators disagree with you. Banks for better or worse answer to regulators.

The riskier a banks loans are the more capital they need to hold and less they can ultimately lend. Before the rise in inflation Irish mortgage rates were relatively high in a European context but banks were exiting the Irish market. That tells its own story. The profit margins did not offset the risk/extra capital requirements.

Advertisement