Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If it wasn't for those pesky kids......

Many state leaders managed to get reelected, some due in part to their handling of Covid. In this case, it was trump's handling of the covid pandemic that arguably cost him the election, not the actual pandemic itself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Everyone knows that the proper response when you believe you're legally allowed to possess top secret/classified documents and the FBI/NARA want to make sure you only have what you're supposed to have, is to allow the investigators to check and comply fully with them like Biden and Pence did repeatedly move and hide the documents, store them improperly, trick your legal team into falsely saying they returned all documents they were meant to, repeatedly obstruct the investigators, show the documents to unauthorised people while saying that you can't declassify them, and try to convince numerous people involved to lie to the investigators and hide/remove documents so the investigators can't find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He'll never do any time. All it'll take during this trial is a single MAGA juror (which is very likely to happen in Florida) to refuse to convict and it'll be a mistrial. The whole thing will then be dragged out and out until its either forgotten about, or some Republican in office orders the DOJ to drop the charges. I'd love to be proven wrong on that but I'd have serious doubts. Judge Aileen Cannon overseeing the whole thing is another factor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here if the jury can't come to a decision then the judge sometimes tells the jury that they can accept an 11-1 or 10-2 verdict. I don't know but I imagine it is the same in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

Isn't he on record admitting that he didn't have a right to have those documents? Trump may figure that he's so bang to rights on the documents charges that he may as well rile his supporters up to as high a level he can. If prosecutors have the requisite evidence to convict him, then there's enough utility for Trump to continue talking guff, even if it provides more of a case, in the hope that he can make the case as politically-fraught as possible (and boost his numbers in the primary, apparently).

Depends on the polls of course. A couple of weeks ago, there was a poll out that showed Trump ahead of Biden by 7 points.

I haven't yet found a reputable poll taken after this latest federal indictment, though.

The survey found 47 percent of respondents said they would vote for Trump if the 2024 election was today and Trump and Biden were the political parties’ respective candidates. Forty percent backed Biden, while 13 percent said they did not know or were unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this man will not serve any jail-time.

a) As an ex-president he has to be guarded 24/7 by the secret service, jail is not a possibility under those circumstances.

b) Likewise as ex-president, for national security reasons, he won't be allowed near a prison

c) At the very worst, he will serve some sort of "house arrest".

He has a powerful bat-shiat crazy core, and has most of the Republican party bending the knee to him, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see him wriggle out of this seemingly open and shut case.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say it would definitely be some form of house arrest. The limitations and level of incarceration there would be what's interesting. Do they limit visitors & communications to be similar to a jail? Do they limit him to just the residence & immediate grounds (ie. not allow him to use a golf course even if it's adjacent to where he's on house arrest due to the security concerns of an entire golf course)? And of course, for how many years?

As much as I'd love to see him in Gen Pop accidentally sitting at "Psycho Pete's" usual lunch table, it'll almost definitely be house arrest of some sort.

The permutations are nuts. Trump could be convicted of a federal crime and be elected president, and the terms of the house arrest would possibly prevent him from attending an inauguration in Washington DC, or he'd have to get day leave of some kind.

IF he’s found guilty, he should be fined and incarcerated.

The fine could pay for his own prison, and the wages of guards, cooks etc over a lifetime of 20 years. He is a billionaire, so this is drop in the ocean stuff. He’s also 77, if he lives past 97, best of luck to him.

They could buy 100 acres, build a couple of perimeter walls (we love walls, don’t we folks?) and a house that houses Trump and his prison guards.

After that, it’s treated like a normal prison. He gets a set amount of visiting hours a week, a set amount of TV time every week, a set amount of access to the internet (monitored), access to a library, exercise time outside, and a federally issued jumpsuit etc.

Before the right wingers go mad and say, “NO-ONE should be treated like that!” Let me answer and say, no other prisoner is like him. He was the President of the United States of America. No-one else would have been able to pull off this crime, so it makes sense that the punishment fits the crime. Have him build his own prison for his own safety would certainly fit the crime of espionage committed by the President of the United States.

I think given the time that would take rather than money, wouldn't be worth it. They could instead modify one of his existing residences.

Even though I agree that his situation is so unique given his position, any kind of reasonable incarceration, whether it be in a new facility or one of his own residences, is a huge step considering what it would have taken for the case to be brought, investigated, gone through trial and being found guilty. House arrest with significant restrictions in terms of visitors, communications, amenities etc akin to what would be in a prison, would be sufficient given his age.

So build a prison just for him? Which Latin American drug lord had that same treatment?

Hopefully the US Federal Prison Service could be less corrupt.

He's a billionaire when it comes time for Forbes to do up their rich list thing, and a pauper when the IRS come knocking. Not saying that Trump couldn't cover the cost, but you know he'd pull every string he could to try get out of it.

This article claims that a person under house arrest still can access 'all the comforts of home' including the Internet. I'm not saying this claim is any way correct, however, just more to start a conversation about why it would or would not be the case

This article goes into various rules around house arrest, but doesn't mention anything I can see with regards to Internet access. Another article I found on the US courts website outlined the ability of law enforcement to strictly monitor a convict's use of computer equipment and even take it away, but this was in the case of a paedophile where, presumably, such equipment would be a direct means to reoffend during home confinement.

There must be black and white legislation out there on this. If Trump retained his bull horn while under house arrest, then he's just going to seek to make people madder and madder and madder.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t see a scenario where he gets to stay living at the scenes of the crime; it wouldn’t really deter anything if he was still keeping yet more hidden documents at mar a Lago or Bedminster, or Scotland, or elsewhere while on “house arrest,” continuing to schmooze with Chinese spies and Saudi princes.

That's why I think there would be limitations imposed regarding visitors & communications. That rather than normal house arrest where it's mostly just an ankle monitor, maybe a guard or two and just "Stay in your house", that a residence for him (whether it be one of his own or a new one bought and secured) is adapted into a prison-type facility for him with a similar level of personal restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Whatever type of punishment would have to include removing his access to social media of any type. He’s surely fomenting rebellion every time he goes on truth social.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭scuba8

I honestly think that with voter suppression and gerrymandering in the swing states it could be closer than we think. Too close for comfort. For example in Georgia the republicans still hold considerable power. I still think and hope Biden wins but I certainly wouldn’t hat complacent about it.

Democrats generally play by the rules whereas Republicans don’t give a **** as long as they win. This is evidenced by their behaviour since the 2020 presidential election.

in reply to Faughan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

the idea of any sort of incarceration of a former president blows the mind. That being said, the 4 years of his presidency was a daily exercise in the mind being blown.

He does remind me of Enoch Bourke. Like Enoch, all Trump had to do was play ball and do what he was told. However, like Enoch, he continued to refuse to do so, leading to far worse trouble than he ever needed to be in.

Now clearly the stakes are immeasurably higher with Trump, but if he refuses to play ball, the court will be left exasperated and with no other option, as with Enoch, but to throw the book at him.

Incredible really, that all he needed to do was hand over the documents and this would never have happened. Mental stuff.

Except Burkes case was a civil proceeding, trump's is a criminal one

Although I agree that Trump uses his pet platform to spout endless drivel designed to anger his base, it doesn't seem to be the opinion of US authorities that this is fomenting rebellion since he remains free to do so. I suppose Trump is, in a way, only doing what legions of other Americans are on social media, namely the parroting of baseless conspiracy and rage and if you do Trump on that, you'd have to a whole lot of other people. It's weird to think that out of all the possible charges currently in the pipeline against Trump, the one about sedition looks to be taking a backseat, even though we watched him take to the podium and deliberately stoke his supporters into action on January 6th, 2021, and that was only one of many times he fomented anger by using baseless conspiracy theories about the legitimacy of the election.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

To answer your question:

Anything can happen between now and 2024, there are no absolute certainties. All sorts of world events and / or economic catastrophes could sway voters. Some of the utter scutter that Trump churns out may resonate with some. Add to this the fact that it is not inconceivable that Biden (now 80) takes ill at an inopportune moment.

The problem with democracy is that most people are stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I don't think he would get many new voters if he were to be on the ballot, and in a fair election, even a fair electoral college election where everyone, irrespective of race, religion, socio economic status, except if you live in the middle of nowhere, had an equal opportunity to vote I don't think he would have a chance. However, as there are barriers to voting, massive lines in some cases, potential votes being discarded, potential illegal votes being counted, he has a chance, unfortunately.

There are plenty of differences, including this one.

The point remains the same, regardless of what penalty the court imposes. All the accused has to do is the bare minimum, yet they refuse to do it.

There will almost certainly be issues with regards to voter suppression tactics, particularly in swing states which have a state GOP majority/governor. But it's also not an unknown or shock tactic the GOP could pull either. If the Dems focus in the run-up to the election on helping to ensure people are registered, know where to vote and plan for how long lines may be, it can have a huge impact. All eyes will also be on vote counting centres too given all the accusations thrown out by Trump/GOP last year, which I think is more likely to ensure that any attempts at potential valid votes being discounted or unvalid votes counted will be identified pretty quickly.

The thing with vote centres is that while vote counting is going on, nobody knows if their vote counting centre is going to be the one that will make a difference to the result. No one is likely to try to commit electoral fraud because, given the checking/validation processes and penalties if you're caught, you would have no idea if it was even going to matter, or if it was going to be necessary (eg. Why risk manipulating the vote to help Trump win if Trump was winning anyway, which at an individual vote counter level they may not be aware of?). The level of manipulation of votes to actually make an impact would have to be done at an organisational level to make a substantial enough difference to the result even just for that county and to bypass all the checks and balances.

It's why all of Trump's claims were so easily dismissible by election officials and the courts. There simply couldn't be the level of impact that Trump was suggesting with the claims they were making. It's also why voter suppression would be the more likely challenge for Dems to face. It's easier for them to justify without putting themselves in legal trouble and potentially stops votes at the source rather than having to try manipulate vote counts after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Daniel Dale is a true hero of our time. Imagine having the job of fact-checking Trump. He must be a roaring alcoholic at this stage.

• Advertisement

the allegation of planting boxes is a particular gripe of his. the photo used as "proof" was taken by Trump's lacky 8 months ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement