Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Today's highs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not much in the way of sun in the NorthWest and 14mm of rain since the drought broke. Tomorrow and Thursday promise 25c again. Could go 28c or 29c in places again. Some models have 33c at end of June others have 20c. Probably between these values. Shannon has had max over 20c for days and is now 17.1c for June average.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

20 degrees at casement aerodrome at 4am,it was 17 at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very uncomfortable sleep, but sunny this morning if not slightly foggy which is interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

23 degrees at Belmullet on the 10am reports. Theres not many days of the year thats happens 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Malin 22.2c. I think that might be its hottest temperature this year and it’s 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

blue skies near Trim again, very warm, but, today there is a lovely breeze out, perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

There's still drought conditions in some parts of the country but I can see the charts showing a complete flip to very wet conditions countrywide from Friday. I hope it doesn't get stuck in that mode too long and we find ourselves waiting weeks for more summer weather. We are hard to please !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Already 24°c in Kildare and humidity is very very low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭jonnreeks

We all like this weather, but it is the humidity that we all find difficult, it some how drains you of energy and you feel like you need to sit down or rest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We could be in for 2 to 3 weeks of unsettled weather but there are likely to be dry days too particularly in southern and eastern areas where higher pressure will be closer by.

This unsettled spell looks like western and northern areas will experience most of the rainfall over the coming week with opportunities for thunder and lightning at times also.

There is scope within the models for this unsettled spell to have a shorter lifespan if we can get a stronger ridge of the azores further north. As for the temperatures current models suggest temperatures will be close to normal from next week, maybe slightly above at times (18 to 22C). Southern and eastern areas could experience temperatures warmer than this at times especially if there are decent spells of sunshine if shower activity fails to get going further east. This does look like the return of the Atlantic to some degree but it's not totally convincing and certainly not the conveyer belt of low pressure that can happen.

Latest CFS has this unsettled spell lasting barely a week and then we are back to high pressure so will wait and see how the models handle this unsettled turn over the next few days.

Edit: GFS 6z rolling out now and more in line with the CFS, we go back to high, dry and potentially hot in about 10 days time but with an ongoing risk of volatility at times.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

I actually love when it's really warm and humid. Not so much a fan of cold and humid but around 28 to 32° with high humidity and not a breath of wind is heaven for me.

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Maybe I should have said “so far” then 😜

And of course I’m somewhat referring to my local area which got affected by those decaying thunderstorms from England the past few days which really scuppered sunshine, temp, and local storm chances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't have a problem with high humidity either as long as temperatures aren't over 40C. The temperature range I am happiest with is 28 to 39C which doesn't really apply to Ireland but have experienced this range many times along the coast in southern Spain and it is a beautiful temperature range as long as your along the coast with plenty of opportunities to cool off if needed.

11am 24c at Malin, Finner, belmullet and Mt Dillon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny, hot and humid in Galway city this morning. Strong smell to the air again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah it's a lovely morning in Galway. The grass is still quite yellow so another few heavy showers would help.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Breezy today . Been a while. 25c Finner and Mt Dillon

Same here. Like to have the heat and humidity up to a certain level. Around 30c to 32c is the ideal temp for me with dewpoint around 18c to 24c.

Was staying at Atlantis in Dubai around two weeks ago and being out on the Palm Island the air temp is cooler, but still 35c with a dewpoint of 26c pretty much 24/7. On arrival at the hotel it felt uncomfortable. Right on the edge for me. But we defo got used to it as the trip went on and missed it when we left.

In the city the temp was often 38c to 43c with dew point in the low twenties. It felt similarly "close" but hotter than the hotel. I felt roughly the same there comfort wise.

The worst by far was the desert... City temperature on the day was 42c and the desert was another level above that. Stepping out of the jeep the heat was incredibly hot feeling. The breeze increased the heat you felt rather than reducing it. No idea what the dew point was. But you would expect it to be low and therefore less humid naturally. We were one hour's drive inland from the coast. I quickly began to overheat. We drove around on quad bikes and the wind going over your arms and legs was like a hairdryer on the hottest setting. Sweated buckets and buckets by the end and felt physically unwell. Pouring (the free) ice cold bottles of water over my head and body simply didn't cool me down. Felt wiped out the entire rest of the day after we returned to the hotel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

A glorious summers day in Dublin City centre. A nice breeze and feeing less humid. Currently 20 C but feels a bit warmer than that.

Long may this weather continue. Atlantic can go to sleep for all of summer for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

26.6 degrees at my station in Galway feels very hot no wind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dundalk reached 29.9C yesterday, almost 30C! The earliest 29C on record in Ireland and the highest June temperature now in Ireland since 29 June 2018.

23c here in Co.Antrim. Feels very warm but with quite a breeze today, but much clearer skies. Humidity is long gone. NW NI will have the highest readings today given this breeze.

Apparently a 29c was recorded at Ballywatticock (near Newtownards) yesterday afternoon. It was the same site that recorded the shortly held 31.2c record high temp for NI two years ago, although there were some questions around it's exposure if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A lot fresher feeling today courtesy of the breeze.

The Atlantic can go to sleep forever imo, I hate everything about it. It's why we don't get a proper winter and our lack of warmth and sunshine in the summer compared to the rest of Europe.

Same here in Meath, much fresher than yesterday and much more of a sea breeze. Temperature well down on this time yesterday, currently 20C a 5C drop on yesterday but still feels very pleasant.

Hot spots 27c Donegal airport and Ardara. Malin took a sharp dive down to 19c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not in Galway, sticky dead heat. But i love it.

• Advertisement

Local airports :-

Belfast Aldergrove 23/4

Belfast City 23/5

City of Derry Airport: 27/9

That's some pretty dry air over the provence now! 29% RH at Aldergrove for example

Advertisement