Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefighters striking over pay and conditions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It causes major disruption for employers. The upside of positive publicity will soon be forgotten if customer service suffers because staff are running off to callouts.

The indirect and societal benefits of having a fire service is not going to be a consideration for a private business. Let someone else pay for the service while you use it if necessary, that's the way of the world.

If you were a shareholder in a business, would you be happy to see your investment suffer because that business was allowing its staff to become retained firefighters while its "right cnut" competitors were not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sorry but you're way off beam on this one. Have you heard any of these men interviewed? If your gaff goes on fire and you phone 999 or 112, you presumably would like to think that the fire engine would be on it's way to you within minutes rather than hours??? That means in practice that these retained firefighters have to be on standby in close proximity to their stations pretty much 24/7. That's hugely limiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lads, the OP is clearly acting the boll1x. There's no way they could be that thick or uninformed and yet start a thread on the matter.

One of my closest friends is a retained firefighter. It's a shyte job, with shyte conditions and shyte pay. We were at breakfast about 2 weeks ago and he was still pretty upset about a dead baby situation he attended a week earlier. I certainly couldn't cope with the things he has seen and attended to. He has certainly saved many lives. It's a horrible but necessary job.

He's tied to where he can live and work. Firefighters can't live or work more than 5 mins from the local station. That also limits the type of job he can do as many employers can't have an employee down tools and run off when the beeper goes off. Nor are they sure that the employee will turn up for work as they may be out all night at a call. He can't sit and have a beer in the evening either as he could be called upon at any time. I don't think people realise the sacrifice people have to make when they are retained fire fighters.

They shouldn't be on call 24/7 but getting rostered days off is difficult as there are chronic staff shortages. Even getting annual leave when they want it is difficult due to staffing. There's a reason they can't get new recruits. Because it's a shyte job. Look how mental people went about the 5km limit we had when there was a COVID lockdown. That's it nearly all year, every year for the retained firefighters. In the last round of recruitment in my town, only 3 people made the cut but none of them took up the role as they either lived too far away or their employer wasn't in a position to release them.

I'm not too sure if this element has been fixed but they used to pay a pension levy but don't get paid a pension.

The rates of pay are ok if you are out on calls all the time. But the fact is that they are only called out when needed and some weeks they mightn't receive a call so they only get their retainer and training fee for those weeks. Roughly €9k to €12k for being on call 24/7 and roughly another €3k for training with the clause that you must be living and working (or not working) within 5 mins of the station (usually 2 miles). And it's not only the firefighter who suffers, it's their family too. Daddy can't bring Jr to his match in the next town over because he's on call. My mate has missed weddings, first communions etc. When you get the call, you just gotta go.

Unfortunately the only solution is to get more firefighters. And that's not easy. It won't happen as things stand, changes need to be made.

The Government need to make it worthwhile for people to take up the role so I think that would mean making the retained firefighters full-time (or at least allow people that option) County Council employees who have handy jobs in their town and pay them appropriately for a full-time role. Only with more firefighters in place can proper rosters with adequate time off be put in place. Nobody should be on call 24/7/365 and it's nearly at that stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re

Lads, the OP is clearly acting the boll1x. There's no way they could be that thick or uninformed and yet start a thread on the matter.

Darwin would indicate there is a way

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Are you for real you have to come from a station that's doing over 500 calls a year to reach anywhere near 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It being a shyte job is a matter of opinion and depends on a person's circumstances. It's impossible for many people to consider the job due to the distance requirement and even if they meet that requirement, many/most private sector employers won't tolerate staff going to callouts. On the other hand, if someone works for their local council, has a "local" mindset and rarely strays from their own area, it's not very limiting.

As for attending communions etc., plenty of people are single, divorced, have grown up children etc. I've known lots of retained firefighters, they all loved it, got a buzz from callouts and didn't know what to do with themselves when they were forced to retire in their fifties. It gave them a lot of kudos in the community and other benefits included having the craic with their comrades after calls. They much preferred do something useful such as attending a serious fire or road collision than having the "freedom" to do some bullsh*t like attend a wedding.

The unions will try to have people believe that firefighters are suffering terribly and will use the sort of emotional statements (what if your house was on fire) as seen in this thread to their advantage. In other news, all farmers are poor and all nurses are angels.

Those sort of people it does suit alright I'd reckon. But are they getting thin on the ground these days, particularly in more rural towns?

Look like it's going to week 3, government just won the 2 votes on motion & amendment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Perhaps Furze, or maybe it's more to do with a lot of retained firefighters assuming that a part-time job was a full-time one. The hourly rates, double for night time and weekend callouts are pretty lucrative, and wouldn't take long to accrue a decent wage. Now they've dried up, hardly a bad thing for all the Mrs Lovejoys posting here, they now want to be compensated for the loss of earnings.

The union rep said it themselves, because there are less house fires, road accidents, cats stuck up trees, whatever, our members can no longer earn what they thought they would when they signed up, you literally couldn't make this stuff up.

As for individual firefighters being on call 24/7 for months on end as purported by the unions, that doesn't even deserve a response it's so ridiculous.

I've no problem with the retainer being increased if the hourly rate for the callouts was reduced seeing as there's less of them, do you think that would be agreed to? I'd say there's two chances of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus quit while your behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So you've basically admitted now you didn't have any facts correct talking about volunteers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Vital service and a very dangerous and tough job mentally, usually first on the scene and no doubt all of them have seen horrific things.

despicable that it isn’t a full time , paid job with all the benefits attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s it exactly.

I fail to believe that there’s anyone in Ireland with IQ levels low enough to have the opinion of the OP or to agree with that opinion. It has to be a piss-take.

Ask yourself, would you sign up for it?

I wouldn't - far too restrictive in terms of being on call and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

If it suits a person then it is a great extra job to have but the restrictions it places on people seem to be very limiting in this day and age. They will need to do somethign if they cant fill the numbers - perhaps increase the retainer and reduce the call out fee. Plenty of stories of 3 or 4 fire crews arriving at houses to help someone who is locked out or to look at a small fire that is no danger. That said they need to be there when really needed so it has to be worth while.

Fire service respond when requested they do not respond when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

they are not volunteers, a volunteer doesn't get paid.

One of the big problems is that people are actually taking your advice, there are not enough people liking it, so not enough are doing it. As a result, of low staff levels, firefighters are forced to be "on call" for longer hours, which is one of the reasons they are striking.

My brother is in law is a firefighter, he is paid a retainer every 3 months, and gets a fee per call out. The days he is not on call, he can gets social welfare.

Its not really an attractive career option for most people, no bank would consider you for a mortgage unless there was another person on the application.

Post edited by twin_beacon on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A tough job, god bless them, respect and pay them, our useless government could take a pay cut to make up the money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Im kind of with the OP on this one. I mean if you dont like the pay and conditions then just get another job better suited to your expectations.

Do you know any retained firefighters now? I mean active ones, not retired ones? Because, in rural Ireland anyway, there's a recruitment crisis and people like my mate who is a retained firefigher for the last 20 years is on call way more nowadays than he was when he started 20 years ago because there aren't enough staff to provide adequate cover.

I'd also call you out on saying that they'd rather attend a road collision than go to a wedding or other social event. Not very realistic to think that someone would rather be pushing someone's guts back into their stomach cavity while trying to save a life on a wet windy Winter's night or attending to an incident where a baby dies or a teen hangs themselves rather than be supping a few pints and having the craic at a wedding.

The number of retained firefighters needed in my town is 18. That's what the Council agrees there needs to be to have an adequate service. There are 11 of them in the service at the moment. So, 7 short. And they can't get suitable people to apply for those positions. That's a serious recruitment crisis and not just the unions talking shyte.

• Advertisement

What happens when your house is on fire, or there's a car crash, or someone jumps into the river, or your baby starts turning blue.

These guys are needed and nobody wants to replace them. What's your suggestion then?

In my area the fire crews are supporting the ambulance service. Quite often they are called for a medical emergency and to hold the fort until the ambulance arrives, which can be many hours later.

3 or 4 crews arriving at houses doesn't happen where there are retained firefighters because usually there is only one crew in that area. Maybe they have two appliances, but they don't know exactly what they are dealing with until they get to the scene. Fire crews don't know if it's a small fire that's no danger until they arrive. They get the call, they rush to the scene because seconds count.

I see the dead baby situation wasn't enough to emotionally blackmail posters out of the discussion so now pushing guts back needs to be added.

Your 'friend' seems to have been through a lot, yet has lasted 20 years?

You seem to have a lot of knowledge on the subject, how long can a retained firefighter legally be required to be on call before they're entitled to time off? How can this be extended on a whim?

This is what you don't understand. All retained firefighters have been through a lot. If you attend road crashes, at some stage you are going to have people with their guts hanging out, their eyes hanging out etc. I'm not saying it for the craic or to get sympathy. It's something that they regularly have to deal with. Car crashes can be horrific. Just look at the M50 crash a few years ago where the woman lost her head in the crash.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I do have some knowledge because one of my best mates has been a retained firefighter in my town for the past 20+ years. He's considered quitting a couple of times, he's had tough times for sure but he has a wife and kids and a mortgage so he needs the money. But, as he says himself, it's getting tougher and getting near breaking point. It's not totally about the money for him though, he does actually like doing good (and even yourself will have to admit they are doing good) but the shine is being taken off the job due to the staffing crisis.

I don't know how much time 'off call' retained firefighters are supposed to have but when you have a crew of 11 when you should have 18, then you are going to get less time off because a certain number of firefighters are needed to respond to a call. Too few firefighters and they can't respond properly to whatever they are facing. The public suffer and the firefighters could be putting themselves in an unacceptable level of danger. Regarding the legality of it, I don't know. I do know it's not extended on a whim. It's extended because they don't have any other cover due to very few suitable people wanting the job. Because the terms and conditions (in real terms) have deteriorated over the years.

There's no easy fix. There are currently 2000 retained fire fighters. That's not enough. They need more. Even if the Council's gave them full-time jobs at €50k each, then that would cost well over €100m. But something has to be done to keep the staff that they have and to attract new people to the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Just out of curiosity standardg60 (ignoring your obvious gross ignorance of the "retained" fire service and your obvious rabble rousing OP and attempts at baiting in subsequent contributions) and BrianD3, If we are to accept you premise that the current retained fire service set up is uneconomical, comprising shysters getting money for effectively doing nothing (a long way from reality incidentally) what would be your proposal as an alternative to providing an effective Fire service for the whole country?

Perhaps ye would advocate "retaining" the existing Full time station in Dublin, Cork Limerick, Waterford and Galway (and maybe Sligo and Letterkenny just for Geographical balance!!!) and having them service the entire country. Good luck with that, having Galway city or Sligo respond to an incident in Blacksod south of Belmullet (In a vital support role for the Coast Guard helicopter crash for example)

I spent over 14 years of my life involved in this area of the emergency services. I bore first hand witness to the work that these men and women did, I experienced the agonies and the stresses involved with them that no amount of financial rewards would compensate for, let alone a pay structure that currently amounts to an average of less than €1 per hour for some firefighters, if one equates it relative to commitment required. Sure in some of the busier stations with a good deal of call outs, it may be possible for a Station officer with many years service to earn upwards of €40k per annum (still pretty petty for the commitment required), and yep sure the proportion of firefighters in the past were, often by necessity drawn from the ranks of county council employees (and sometime even local councillors!). But the service has been headed towards crises for the past 20 years, with a succession of consultant reports flagging that, but conveniently ignored by Government until the recent desperate measures finally forced them to sit up and take notice. There are huge issues with attracting and retaining part time retained fire fighters, especially in rural stations with not a whole regularity of callouts (but where the service is still vital), whilst benovelance and the team camraderie and commitment to public service and making a positive difference might carry some weight and persuade some, the reality is that less and less young suitable people are prepared to put up with the restrictions and commitment required.

There are also huge issues with bureaucracy and a cultural divide between the some of the full time and retained services and a degree of blinkered, old boy network mindset amongst many in the fire management, that are resistant to change and are driven by a bottom line of providing the service at the lowest possible cost and looking after their own. I've seen all of this. Many of these issues could be easily addressed with the will to do so, with the stroke of a pen on a relatively cost neutral basis, like extending the living requirement for distance from the station.

Bottom line anyway is, if this crises isn't addressed both on an organisational and financial level, we as a state run the risk of having huge swathes of the country without an emergency service (BTW standardg60 FYI on another point of ignorance, fire service don't JUST respond to fires, but they don't generally respond to cats in trees!) and apart from the emotive impact of that, the cost in terms of lives would be huge. Just as a case in point, some people might wonder why Kiltimagh in Mayo has a fire station when it could possibly be adequately served by Castlebar and Claremorris and Swinford. But, in 1944 The Ruane's pub and house went on fire and the whole family and two of their staff (8 people in total) perished, save for baby Pat Ruane who was thrown from an upstairs window to onlookers below, while they waited for fire brigades to arrive from Castlebar and Westport. The gap in the houses where the pub was is still there to this day on Main st. Ya might accuse me of using emotional blackmail, but that is the reality of what we are dealing with here, so put that in yer pipe and smoke it!

Post edited by pjordan on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair play to you.

Forward that to every politician in the country.

You've re-written a lot of this since i read it this afternoon, no idea if you were forced to but thanks for toning it down anyway.

So you say by necessity a lot of the ranks were drawn from council employees and even co. councillors. Why is this if for no other reason than nepotism and shenanigans? And why if the job is so traumatic (and there is no doubt that it is, everyone knows this including me so there's no need to keep espousing it other than Mrs Lovejoying) were so many happy to sign up for it at the expense of 'outsiders' who may have applied but weren't considered.

A good part of the malaise is self inflicted, but when the sh1t hits the fan the blame turns to 'the management' and 'the gubberment', it's such union speak. Our collective have had nothing to do with it, we're only the workers obeying orders. It's so typical but when you lift a few sheets you see how dirty the mattress is.

I've no problem with extending the 3km limit to perhaps 5km with improvements to roads and cars nowadays, but i haven't heard any union rep suggest that this should be the first solution, have you? There are issues, demographics, work practices, family situations with both parents working have all changed, no amount of pay increases are going to change these, but the unions seem to believe they will, what's new.

And if you could provide me with your calculation of how anyone is earning less than one euro per hour i'd appreciate it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Actually I didn't hugely rewrite it. Just tweaked bits here and there over the day. Definately not an enforced "toning down" or done under duress or influence from anyone else. I've been out of that service area for the past 5 years, so I have no real skin in the game any more (except maybe a few persisting gripes and chips on my shoulder, no more than yourself!!!)

I was wondering what was your own motivation or justification behind such a raw and bitter frontal assault on a generally well respected vital service? Your reply seems to offer some hints. Were you or someone belonging to you by any chance rejected by the retained fire service in preference to an "insider" or a "relative". Have you or someone connected to you been a victim of local authority "neptostic" recruitment practice. I actually appreciate and feel your pain if this is so. I've been subject to the same myself and the LA's of Ireland are rotten to the core with preferential recruitment of mates and family members and people underqualified or not qualified for jobs, being recruited on who they know, or jobs being specifically created for certain individuals. It's a scandal that bears being exposed and thrown right open to public scrutiny but I imagine the wagons would be very quickly circled and the ranks closed if any investigation were to go poking around in the sordid mess.

I won't deny that much of the retained fire service ranks have traditionally been a family affair down the years (as are many fire services world wide, quite understandibly. It's partly a cultural thing!). I know of whole dynasties of family, brothers and fathers and sons serving together or succeeding each other in the services. I also know of plenty of people who have been rejected or shafted by retained fire services in favour of "insiders", often much less well qualified or suited to the nature of the work. There's no denying that happens. And I know of at least one individual that managed to draw three separate wages from the local authority, as a retained firefighter, a regular council employee and a councillor (He's a nice fella btw, now retired from FS). I also admit there is an element of Gung-ho-ism prevelant amongst many fire service personnel (no more than in other emergency service) which attracts some to it for the action, the glory, the public appreciation/admiration, the adrenelin and perhaps even some of the gore (and the opportunity to exchange "war stories"!) and many of them would contine to do so regardless of the financial viability of same (I did it in mountain rescue myself for years, on a wholly voluntary basis at considerable personal financial cost!)

I also accept that the many of the retained fire fighters and their unions are not entirely without fault on all this either, with their resistance to change, manipulation of times, griping over the nature and justification of call outs, adherence to static PDA's and jealously guarding their own individual territories. I even know of some fire fighters that have allegedly resorted to starting gorse fires themselves to up their call out rates. But the bottom line is that the retained fire service has been grossly underfunded in Ireland for years and management in many LA's have attempted to run it on a shoestring and cut costs to the bone wherever they could, to gain plaudits from CE's and central government. So this crises has been coming down the tracks for years and is finally coming home to roost. To resolve it will undeniably require compromise and changes and considerable input from both sides, but both sides need to be prepared to listen and take on board the solutions.

Finally, re you query on the less than €1 p/h claim, If I offered you the calculations you would undoubtedly dispute it anyway, but it's based on an average annual retainer of €9k, a drill rate of €22.05 p/h, a first hour daytime call out rate €44.10 and an out of hours bonus allowence of double time. If you apply that to a rural station with minimal call outs (lets say 15-20 minor call outs per annum, with few lasting over an hour or two) but with a below full strength crew whereby all members are effectively on call 24/365 (Even though you would argue that point saying they are not actually working all those hours, but for the sake of argument lets reduce it to on call for 48 weeks of the year) then the actual hourly rate is well below the average industrial wage, close to or possibly below €1 p/h and definitely not sufficient for a person to exist on without either another (very accomodating or self employed) job or supplementary welfare.

There is a simple economic and emotive reality about the existence of the emergency service. They can be regarded as an expensive luxury or insurance policy that we hope that we never have to avail of, but unfortunately some people have to, and are very thankful that they exist when they need them. Are we prepared to pay for that expensive luxury that we might (hopefully) never use? (In fact some will end up paying more such is the farcical price structure and call out charging policy differences between individual LA's). Despite its flaws, I am prepared to pay, you're obviously not!

Advertisement