Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 US Open - LA Country Club

• 13-06-2023 12:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can Rors break the duck....will Brooks do it again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not exactly a course guide, but gives a bit of a flavour of the course.

Looks like an interesting mix of holes. Idea of pros playing a par 3 that could measure less than 90 yards is certainly a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hovland trending nicely and is due a major if it's not Rahm or Sheffler.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Brook's head is in the zone, he is a formidable challenger now his injuries are over and confidence back, he couldn't care less about anything but the Majors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is it expected to be really tough?

Pity it's on the west coast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

100% on this. Can see me missing a lot of it as it won't finish until 2-3AM. Same as when Morikawa won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'd expect it to be a proper test of golf. Look at some of the videos of balls dropping into the rough. Some sections around the bunkers are wild lush grass rather than long rough.

Poor shots will get punished never mind a bad one. There are also two gigantic Par 3s 280+yds. Watch a lot of guys hit 3w here and even driver for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The west coast thing is going to be a killer. I love the US Open and I’ll stay up tomorrow and Friday night to watch it. I’m playing golf early Sunday morning so I won’t get to see much Saturday night and then depending on the leaderboard Sunday I’ll make up my mind Sunday evening.

The course looks like a serious test. I think the days of +3 or +4 winning US Opens are probably long gone but this course will test the nerve and mental state of every player. It’s got some mix of holes from what I’ve seen and read including the 90 yard par 3 which I think might only be in play on Saturday. It’ll be longer the other 3 days.

The majors usually brings the cream to the top but I think we could see a somewhat surprise winner this week. I’ve not had a good bet on anyone, and I probably won’t, but someone at a bigger price like Cam Young or Finau would be my idea of a winner. Keegan Bradley played brilliant golf last year in Boston, it would be a huge surprise to see him go well again either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shite time zone for us alright, not a hope of catching any of it really

And if it’s a play off it will be even later! It use to be an 18 hole play off the next day but I think that changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I believe it's a two hole playoff now. Presumably because the PGA and Open have taken the 3 and 4 hole variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think this going to come down to which of the top players can dial in the wedges and putt well. And putter rules out Scheffler.

Cant see a winner outside of Koepka, Rahm, Hovland, Spieth, Xander and maybe Cam Smith?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think this type of course suits Patrick Cantlay. He is fairly straight off the tee and can get very hot with the putter. Also they are expecting long rounds and some will find it difficult to deal with that type of pace and as we all know Patrick will feel very at home with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

His putting might not be amazing of late but he's number 1 in most key stats and his results have been consistently excellent.

Do you really want to rule out this guy?

• #1 Ranked player.
    • #1 SG total, Off the tee, Approach, Tee to Green
    • #1 Scoring, Par 4s, bogey avoidance, GIR%,
    • He's had one finish (T45) outside top 12 this season.
    • 2x Wins, 2nd in PGA c'ship, and 6x other top 5 finishes. No missed cuts.

I'd surely have some interest in the guy that leads tee to green greens. In the memorial, he had the 2nd best Tee to green SG in shotlink history +20 on the field. If he putted with middle of the field average he'd have won by several strokes. It was comically putting bad for the event but an outlier for me.

Otherwise one of Koepka, Rahm and Hovland 100%. I think Hovland is getting closer all the time, he's been leading majors and understands the pressure. He'll deal with it better next time around. As much as I dislike him, Cantlay is due a big major performance too.

Yes. Im ruling out Scheffler!

Greens look extreme. Saw clips of the 9th and 10th. Elite bent grass putters only.

Cantlay likes bent grass greens but dislikes the bermuda fairways and rough. Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

To be fair Cantlay just out on full stop, ignoring the grass types etc - it's a major he's got 4 top 10's in his last 22 majors & of them I cannot remember him seriously contending in any... He's supposed to be (and is) top 10 in the world & has never threatened in a major (or the players). Struggle to get my head around that.

I would wonder if the extreme greens might actually help Scheffler as it probably means everyone will have some issues which might close the gap to him. I think he will take beating but the odds on him are ridiculously short for a guy with putting issues.

Harsh..but yes a fair summation of Cantlay! He's prob never going to win a major.

Scheffler was the best golfer in the world by a comfortable margin Feb 2022 up until he won The Masters. I'm not sure exactly when the putter started to become a prob but it was not long after winning The Masters. And has got steadily worse over the last year.

Still think he's comfortably the best T2G* Im still ruling him out!

*I think he's trying a new putter today.

Interesting club, even though it’s in Hollywood hills, no Hollywood stars need apply.

Love it.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/14/us-open-golf-los-angeles-country-club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice to see Rickie back playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

I'm calling it now

The winner will be from this quintet in the first half of the draw

Scottie, Rickie, Xander, Bryson

I think brooks and rory will cancel each other out

• Advertisement

Commentators awful again. Rory misses birdie on 6, then say we'll see the lay up players likely get birdies...cue Koepka hitting a shorter version of Rorys putt further past the hole and making bogey on putt back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

2 x 62s

In a U.S open.

No thanks. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I think they thought his par putt was for a birdie. You'd think they'd have more detailed info on shots but maybe they are just talking over what we see with nothing else in the background.

I get that and it makes sense, but as you said, surely they've info to say what's going on. Even the app has shot cast, so the info is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

It was funny as Claude was on the telecast with them & he had picked up on it, mentioning that Brooks was paying the price for missing ht e fairway with his lay up off the tee but the main commentators actually didn't pick up on it... That said Claude was watching his player - the others are trying to follow the whole tournament, I'll give them an odd pass...

Listening to the takes on TV coverage from the States - the adverts loading must be cruel. I know from experience on holidays/travel to the US TV is a tough watch, but with all the complaining I'm hearing this must be even worse!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Fowler waiting 13 minutes on the 4th tee. That's simply awful.

That aimpoint rubbish should be banned asap, sick of watching lads taking 5 minutes to read a putt

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭zocklie

It's a disgrace, and I'm amazed how many pro's have bought into it so heavily. Just pick a line and hit it. None of the top putters are using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Welcome to the Rolex hour, just 4 hours before the leaders tee off!

Really are horrendous tee times for us. Trying to figure out how I can stay up to watch Rory tomorrow night 😫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

I just saw Wyndham Clarke talking about his Mother. .

Which I can relate to..

After hearing that I really want him to win !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Was there some delay? I've just sat down to watch it and the first couple of pages of the leaderboard haven't teed off yet.

No delay, leaders not off for over an hour yet

Tom Kim on a charge up the leaderboard

Won't be staying up for the leaders. Hopefully wake up to Mcllroy and Fowler 4 clear.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Never thought of it before but in hindsight we are quite lucky that Augusta is on the 'correct' side of the USA. Those Saturday/Sunday evenings as schoolkids watching the Masters on RTE2 would have been different (in my case it wouldn't have been allowed) if it was a 2am finish. Such a fluke of geography is probably responsible for a decent percentage of people in UK/IRL being fans of the sport or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's not unusual for a US Open to be on at these hours, but week-to-week the golf is usually on at reasonable hours for us. Presume some of that weekly stuff is West coast? So, do they push this back a few hours, maybe to get it in prime time on the East coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seeems that a lot of the West Coast events are in 'winter' - i.e, according to this link there was 5 in a row starting Jan 22nd. I guess that's deliberate as the East Coast is more likely to be snowbound, but it also has the effect of meaning those events finish at reasonable hours for us because daylight will be a natural boundary even if the weather is quite pleasant then.

2022–23 PGA Tour - Wikipedia

Leaders haven't even teed off and the ads are starting to grind on me already

Holy mercy Xander what are you doing

That's shocking from Schauffele, what was he thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

McIlroy hits his opening drive 388 down the middle, unreal. Longest drive of the week on one

On the flipside Rory rips it 388 and now has 20-ish feet for Eagle. Sleep is over-rated

Think I might cap it at the front 9 tonight and rest up for tomorrow 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

Clark up by two - decent lead at this stage of round atc , and esp given how cramped leaderboard is

McIlroy and Fowler floundering a bit on last couple of holes

11 under Clark thru five

three just behind him on nine under

English and Clark getting a bit of rub in last ~5 mins - both played errant shots but no damage did

Won't get to see it, but I can't imagine there'll be much good scoring on the back 9 for leaders. Even par be good

back nine, they're saying on comms, is going to be very tough

not a clue here tho - will take their word for it and assume leaders won't be shooting low scores from ten to eighteen!

out on their own in first and second now, are Clark and Fowler, on -11 and -10; McIlroy and English in third spot at nine under

Schauffele nearest challenger on -6

Reckon were gonna see a lot of shots dropped on the back 9, think 9 under will be leader going into tomorrow, brings a lot of guys back into it. Excited to see the struggles now tbh 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Tom Kim

out in 29

back in 37

tells you everything about the course for today and what’s to come tomorrow

pretty stark them figures alright 😮

Kim only young tho - mebbe nerves got to him? .. be exciting to see how the 'top boys' fare from here on in (only Clarke and Fowler <just about> still on fronte nine)

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement