Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I've always believed Ukraine is fabricating the amount of Russian loses for propaganda reasons as well as their own loses for same and that's okay and understandable given the tight spot they are in but i do feel reading this thread there is a hostile clique that goes on the offensive for the mere mention of same.

Like it's war for christ sake and it's okay to point out loses for either side it's not like it makes a single bit of difference to the outcome we are all just a bunch of nobody's on the internet.

I can't see Ukraine taking the risk of carrying out an action on NATO to make it look like the Russians either as if that got out support for them would dry up quicker than a spilt pint on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember sitting up all hours during desert storm waiting for the lastest gun cams of percision strikes,even seeing the aftermath of the High way of Death at the time which showed the true brutality of modern war ,go pros and other action cameras brought the 2nd gulf war to a new level,for the first time we saw raw Battle footage from the soldiers point of view , drones have brought another level but I find on the ground troop action more interesting to watch.

Don't know wether it's a blessing or hinderance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Honestly I think Poland/ Baltic escalation scenario is nearly as abhorrent and disastrous as a Russian nuclear escalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

We've been hearing about Russia running out of equipment for over a year now and here we are. Just take everything you hear and read with a massive pinch of salt. Only events on the ground are a true reflection of how the battle is going not some no mark on Twitter or even American intelligence who obviously have skin in the game.

Now but the cost of the war and keeping ukraine supplied with ammunition very much expensive, look at the situation here 85,000 + 30,000 Ukrainians/others living in hotels and other accomodations across the country,that could have a knock on effect for our tourism which will effect bob down the road if his family rely on incomes from the tourism sector,the same applies to over stretched services already at breaking point,

It does effect others despite us not having tanks or weapons to send

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Let's say there's a Hollywood sci-fi blockbuster moment and you wake up one morning with the world unchanged in all but one respect: instead of the UK being over the border in Northern Ireland it's now Russia. Russia exactly as she is here in our world now, same people, same president, same war currently raging with some other neighbour of theirs.

That's what Poland and the Baltic states are living with, so I can have some empathy with their situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia is running out of equipment. Obviously that doesn't literally mean that they will suddenly be "all out of tanks" one day. It means they have to increasingly rely on other equipment (e.g. Iranian drones), older tanks (T62's), foreign supplies (N Korea), out-dated equipment, and so on.

They have their own manufacturing base, so they can e.g. keep manufacturing plenty of artillery shells, but other stuff can be more tricky, especially the more complex equipment and munitions that are difficult to manufacture and replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm half expecting to see the 203 mm howitzer M1931(B-4) at some stage

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭threeball

I think this is more likely to end the war than any weapons sent

If theres one thing rich people can't stand, its being taxed and they'll do everything in their power to avoid it. Putin will back himself into a corner worse than the one from his famous rat analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Interview with the head of Rheinmetal, the German arms company with some interesting tidbits (needs to be translated)

Can the EU promise to supply Ukraine with one million rounds of artillery ammunition within a year?

Yes. In the short term, however, Ukraine will only get the one million rounds of artillery ammunition if European armies make stocks available. On the industrial side, we are working flat out to increase production capacities. We hire staff, make mothballed machines fit again, build new supply chains. However, it will take six to ten years before all European ammunition depots are filled.

You are involved in the preparation and maintenance of many main battle and armored personnel carriers to Ukraine. How do they fare in battle?

Good! Feedback from Ukrainians on German weapons is very positive. Take the PzH2000 self-propelled howitzer, whose chassis and weapon systems were supplied by Rheinmetall. We actually say that the barrel needs to be changed after about 4500 shots. The Ukrainians, however, shoot up to 20,000 shots - actually impossible. Other pipes would have buckled long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I have full sympathy with Poland and the Baltic countries and I always use their example in arguments with guys who spout pro Russian rubbish. They know what Russia is like. They know full well the true nature of Russia as do Finland et al . They have felt the full brutal weight of Russian imperialism. Their struggle makes our own struggles against imperialism in Ireland look like a bun fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hitting the elite is definitely a way to unsettle the horses around Putin unfortunately Putin has been able to keep a lot of the pain away from the better off in Moscow if that changed he could well be ousted .

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

That would be 85,000 extra consumers, hence a higher economic benefit, plus all the extra Government money pumped into the economy which circulates and creates more tax revenue etc.

Overtime the costs to the west are very low, while the costs to Russia are high, over time the Russian economy which remember is only 4.5 times that of Bangladesh, will get much poorer. Hence Putin's new taxes.

Also the war has shown the need to stop outsourcing manufacturing of key tech, those jobs will come home to the EU and US aka more jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

You can apply the old Hemingway quote to Russian supplies.

'How did you go bankrupt?'

'Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.'

We are still in phase 1.

"They say that they waited two hours in one place. As you might guess, the only things that arrived were HIMARS and artillery." 😂

That's so stupid! Putin war is really showing us how awfully run is the Russian army.

General takes selfie in full ceremonial gear and puts the hotel fire escape instructions centre of shot.

So they are still talking about it but according to a few people the whole mighty Europen industrial sector was on a war footing and production had been massively increased here we are heading into July and still it's been Still talked about, with a big IF from Mr Rhemmeintal ,this was announced earlier in the new year,were now at the halfway point of the year and they are still discussing 1 million artillery shells this year ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

That's what I'm thinking. Between burned out guns and destroyed guns how much are they left with? Supposedly Russia had 6000 tanks to begin with and almost 4000 have been destroyed. So...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A million shells, even talked about is welcome but its 2700 shells a day.

10 million a year that would be shell delivery for a more serious effort for Ukraine.

18 months in and still talking about making plans for production, never mind implementation or deciding on options.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

ruSSians always have regarded other nations as dumb idiots, always placed themselves above any other nation as something more superior, almost God like, only to show the whole world that perhaps there is nobody more dumb and retarded in the galaxy than ruSSians. Except from maybe kermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think the blowing of the dams is certainly worth talking about in the sense of how reckless it is and what damage it will do to the local environment, local residents, and the utilities they provide, but I would have to think that the blowing of dams is among the primary things that the AFU would be budgeting for when planning this offensive when you consider what little regard Russian occupiers have shown for civilian infrastructure in Ukraine, be it power generation plants or hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,447 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You cannot dismiss it out of hand though.

As the saying goes, soldiers win battles, economies win wars.

Russia has been relying on 50 years worth of military stockpiles built up over the cold war. Those stocks, while vast are dwindling and there is a limit on how quickly they can be replaced, especially the more modern and harder to produce pieces.

Take for example the 2S19 Msta-S.

Russia had approx 760 in service before the war. No one knows if these are all even operational.

Oryx says 123 have been destroyed or captured. This figure does not include the 5 that were taken out in the past 48 hours, so it could well be an undercount.

Which begs the question, how many can Russia put in the field right now? Given the maintenance issues, definitely less than 500 and I am being generous.

How many are Russia producing per year to make up the shortfall?

For reference, the stockpile has been building up since 1989, so Russia had 35 years to get to that number.

The point is, Russia might be in this for the long haul, but it simply lacks the industrial capacity to replace everything it is losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

This is what the cooler heads among us have been saying for the last 12 months, but the eternal fantasists (there are far fewer of them now than even 6 months ago) were still insisting the Russian defence would collapse like a deck of cards almost as soon as this offensive started and Crimea would be back in Ukrainian hands by high summer.

It's early days yet but I don't think anyone could say things are looking great right now and the question about America's ultimate aim in the war is also a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

I have had the exact same thoughts over the last week or two

For me after last Autumn attack by the Ukrainians they were unstoppable

But seeing them being bogged down was an eye opener

But last few days started to think little differently, not because i think there still unstoppable, the Russians have definitely upped there game

We still haven't seen the bulk of the Ukrainian advance forces

Where are they

No Challenger tanks and very few Bradleys actually in battle

Wouldnt it be a crazy idea to send a few Leopards and Bradleys to attack somewhere, soon as Russians see Lepords they believe thats main attack is there

Some military guys with a lot more knowledge than me believe the north should have been the place for the counter offensive

Could this whole thing be a sideshow to the main thing

I dont know but its strange there just using a small part of there force

Think we will know a lot more in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

@thereitisgone

Could this whole thing be a sideshow to the main thing

This is what analysts seem to be saying - that the AFU is probing defensive lines for weaknesses before fully committing its armoured battalions. Is there not an entry in The Art of War about going around the enemy fortifications and getting in behind them?

• Advertisement

I don't think sending a few Bradleys and leopards was anything but a probe to see what they are going to face for the bigger objectives,but it could potentially have been a lot worse,they could have sent 20 + leopards and Bradleys and lost them at the first attempt, they have still only limited number of western armor despite the Americans already saying they will replace the 15 lost Bradlesy this will take weeks for them to be pulled from storage, completely checked over and serviced before being put on a boat which adds up to weeks to the replacement of anything on the battlefield,

If they lose a similar number at every abandoned village which there is hundreds occupied by the Russians the counter offensive will be reduced to a very slow crawl.

It was claimed on here Russian forces had already collapsed weeks ago if anything they got stronger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement