Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this wheel banjaxed?

Options
  • 14-06-2023 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Q1. As above. As I move my finger out over the edge of the braking surface i can feel an edge like theres a bit of delamination going on.

Q2. Is a new bike the only solution?

Seriously though, is that a dangerous wheel to ride on?

The opposite side shows similar deformation directly opposite, which seems weird to me. I've had these wheels from new, never crashed or heavy impact pothole etc to account for this. Although the surface that side feels smooth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Looks like a pothole hit to me. Have had 2 rims busted similarly over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think in the case of wheels, like parachutes, if you have to ask if it's safe to use then the answer is nearly always gonna be "no".

No one is going to tell you it'll be grand and, even if you tell yourself as much, do you wanna be at the top of a hill or middle of a descent at 60 or 70 kph wondering if your wheels are going to spontaneously disassemble?!

Get yourself a new pair and enjoy the good weather would be my opinion anyway. It looks like you got the use and value out of those old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Usually easier to buy a pair of wheels, same as a pair of shoes!! :). And it's nicer when they msycg

Though if it's a front one that's broken, you could pair it with an entry level aksium front. Deeper section rear and shallow section front can look well

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I’d definitely be replacing that.

If that’s the front wheel and the rear is fine, there’s a good chance you could source a replacement second hand. If that’s the rear, you're less likely to find a spare for sale.

If you don’t mind mismatching wheels, you could readily source a similar depth front or rear Mavic or alternative brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As the boards wheel experts are on this thread already... how about these aluminium rimmed carbon wheels? It was moot, as I couldn't source a freehub, but I have that now.

That looks ok to me. I’ve ridden similar in the past after a pothole strike.

In one case, I had to straighten the rim manually but it rode fine afterwards.

That looks to be depressed as opposed to buckled/bent, but a photo looking down onto the rim wall would confirm.

As long as the hook is intact, the tyre should lock in again.

I’m 70kg, for reference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've rim that was worse and was very carefully able to get it relatively straight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hard to tell but looks grand to me. This said, just because I'd ride it doesn't mean you should or it's safe.

• Advertisement

I think what I'm taking from it is, yes I will chance it, but probably not on my trip to the Alps with the long descents!

Views from the inside - yes they just keep calling me back wanting to be used! (They are also sat in the home office)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It will be fine until it’s not for me. I’d rather be sorry I dumped them than sorry I didn’t when in a heap after crashing.

Advertisement