Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nottingham Attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

What’s the point in locking someone up and not trying to rehabilitate them so when they eventually get out they don’t repeat the crime? Society should not be based on vengeance, imo.

The guy will probably not die in prison. He’s only in his early 30’s. He’ll probably be released in 20-30 years. Wouldn’t it be better for the world if he had been through some treatment?

Absolutely.

Prison should be there for punishment AND rehabilitation.

You seem to be more concerend of the timing this migrant murderer tried to get into the care home to stab people.

You then brush it off and say you hope he gets the help he needs.

So we will try again are you serious, is this what you absolutely believe is needed here and this murderer should be put under the care of the British mental health services and in your own words rehabilitated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

He will get plenty of treatment in prison don't you worry about that.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

I mentioned the timing once and also said it doesn’t make much difference anyway. Do you think that makes me more concerned about the timing than anything else?

I brushed it off as it was just an observation, that’s all.

So, let’s try again. How about this? What benefit to society is there in imprisoning this man for a long time, but not giving him the therapy he’ll need should he ever get out of prison?

I absolutely believe prison should be for punishment, deterrence AND for rehabilitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You don’t seriously think that you can get at least 2/3 of the planet to even agree with you that there’s too much “male violence”?!? You really need to get a dose of reality sometime soon. Literally billions of people haven’t a clue what you’re talking about and wouldn’t ever agree with you even if you explained it.

And yes. There’s a whole swathe of young men in the “civilised” western world who have been told that anything that makes them feel like men is “toxic”. So they don’t know what their purpose is in life and are suffering as a result of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Ive heard it said by UK criminals that Islam is the main unofficial/gang force in the many of the UK prisons these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

He wont actually.

Muslim gangs run the UK prisons now.

Yes.

When you are explaining you are losing.

OK then.

This migrant never had a benefit to society. He was a drain and has now carried out a heinous act on the very society that was supporting him. I dont believe a person like this should ever be allowed out in society again. 3 life sentences and attempted murder charges should be enough for any life in prison conviction. Providing rehabilitation services to a person like this is just taking it away from someone else that might actually need it.

Thats fine you can stand by your convictions and I'll stand by mine.

• Advertisement

Yes. We are all to be very concerned about the health and well being of the savage who butchered 3 people to death and tried to run down 3 others.

He’s the real victim here.

You’ve got to stick to the narrative you see, or the whole facade will collapse like a pack of cards.

The victims are white British people. The perpetrator is not. You mustn’t have got the memo….

I’m fully expecting that he’ll get a whole life tarriff which means that he’ll never leave prison.

That’s the very least that he deserves. He’s a monster. Thats offensive to you no doubt but that really is your problem if it is.

And in the real world, this man will one day be released. Which is why I suggest he should be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

The poor cratur. God love him. Somebody should alleviate his suffering and inform him that Flaneur OBrien has a room for him in his gaff once he gets out after his successful "rehabilitation"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Do you not see an issue with male violence? You think incidents like this one in Nottingham are ok? I think I'd be in the majority who think it's not. Women have been standing up and saying enough is enough, some men have been standing with them but not enough. All men are not predisposed to violence like some have said on this thread. It's just a minority. These men are who we have to target and I think the best way is through education but I don't have all the answers. How do you suggest we try to tackle the issue of some men killing, assaulting and raping others?

Not offensive to me at all. No idea why you think I would find it so. I highly doubt this man will die in prison (he could get killed there, but I’m talking about natural causes/old age).

I’m not convinced he’s a monster yet. I think that title should be reserved for serial killers, rapists, molesters and torturers. I’ll hold off on giving my opinion on whether he’s a monster or not until the court case occurs and the evidence is laid out. Right now, the motive hasn’t been released and we don’t even know if this was a premeditated act.

Do you believe that there is a difference between

A: a premeditated murder.

B: a mental break that leads someone to kill someone.

C: a crime of passion that leads someone to kill someone in the heat of the moment.

The courts thankfully see that there are differences between murder/manslaughter/murder by reason of insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, leave him in a cell for 30 years and then just release him into the public? Does that ever work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I would agree with your stance that the prison system should include rehabilitation services, however I don't agree that every convicted criminal can be rehabilitated.

I think there are 2 questions to be asked before considering rehabilitation; 1. does the criminal deserve to be considered for it (considering their crime, age, mental capacity etc)? 2. are they capable of it?

If the answer is no to either question then they are in prison to be punished or kept out of society for the safety of the general public.

I think rehabilitation in some cases should be the primary focus of the criminal system. Specifically, to help prevent young and disadvantaged criminals from going beyond the point of no return.

If they can't be rehabilitated then they need to be punished/removed from society.

True. We might have to seek asylum over to where this lunatic came from, the rate at where it's going.

• Advertisement

I would agree with you. But I do think rehabilitation should be tried for all prisoners. If it doesn’t take, it can be tried again in a few years time. I don’t believe that we should ever lock a cell and throw away the key (figuratively speaking)

I have a friend who was in prison for (I think) 12 years altogether over different periods. It was only in his last time behind bars did he try and change. He sought out therapy, got off drugs and got into drama and performing. He’s doing well for himself now and voluntarily works with prisoners coming out of prison and helping them from becoming a recidivist.

I didn’t want to go there but I’ll have to say it.

I think you’d need to ask the parents and loved ones of the students that he butchered on the street in the half dark of a dawn in summer, wandering home after a party to celebrate the exams ending, a little bit tipsy, no doubt, but happy and having fun, wether he’s a monster or not.

Id like to see you explaining to that girls father that he’s not, in fact, a monster.

Explain to him that you don’t feel their daughters executioner meets the standard for a whole life tarriff.

They’re looking at their daughters body cold and silent and forever still on a bare bed in a bare room.

Needlessly senselessly dead because of his wickedness.

They have to go to bed every night for the rest of their lives wondering if she called out in the end for her mother in pain and terror just before she lost consciousness.

Id really like to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

In fairness, you don't want to do anything about men who are predisposed to these violent acts and think it's natural. Men will be men so the above could be directed towards you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

I find it a bit pathetic when newspapers like the Guardian (and no doubt those closer to home) tiptoe around the identity of the alleged attacker. Took ages for me to read that he is Black African,

It's equally pathetic the way people immediately dump on Immigrants in general.

Why can't we just state the facts of the case?

In any event, I am sure that young adult males in a foreign country with little of no stabilising influence form family and community networks will be more prone to violent behaviour. That goes for young Irish abroad as well.

Whatever the exact circumstances, we should think more of the victims and their families.

Post edited by Economics101 on

You don’t know if he’s wicked though. You’re being irrationally emotive. He may be completely mentally ill. He may have no idea what he did. We know nothing about him at all.

I’m sure the families of all the victims think he’s a monster, as is their right. I am removed from the situation, so can see other forces may be at play.

As I said, I’ll wait for the trial before calling him a monster.

Is he up there with actual monsters like Oan Brady and Myra Hindley? Peter Sutcliffe? Fred and Rose West? Right now, I can’t say because I don’t have the full facts. He might be, or he might be very, very sick. Time will tell and the court will decide

Wait wait, you are telling me the authorities in this part of the world have no idea what they are doing? That nothing they stand over ever works? Well colour me f**ked

Are you saying that maybe trying something different might actually work?

The murdered girl is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

Call it a hunch and more than happy to be wrong but with all these counter terrorism units on patrol in Nottingham city centre, about 10 of them all with guns smashing a house down and just the media, police and government silence could suggest it may not be some guy with a mental problem.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Where has mental illness been confirmed?

There is a difference between mental health and mental illness. Looking after your mental health is important as it's always there, like nutritional diet and physical activity. Mental illness affects a person's ability to function over a prolonged period of time. It can impact how they see themselves, how they see or interpret the world around them, and how they interact with the world. Depending on their diagnosis they could feel distressed regularly and may not feel in control of their lives. for example. It's not the same as feeling sad, unhappy, disgruntled, or stressed because of particularly difficult situations. The only confirmation so far is that he 'had a history of mental health issues'. That's not a confirmation of him being mentally ill. mentally ill or not, they are responsible for their actions.

In France, a psychiatrist and other doctors have deemed the Syrian Annecy attacker fit to face charges & was charged with attempted murder, so goodgood

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement