Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The government allocates the money to each organisation or charity its irrelevant to say they are separate .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Again this is just unrealistic idealism as I said previously.

Things just don't work like this in the real world - there choices and decisions have to be made, priorities set, compromises agreed and all subject to other just-as-valid-in-their-own-ways competing demands for the same limited resources (money, manpower, time!)

But also, WHY should we do this beyond some nebulous idea of humanitarianism? - WHY should we put others needs ahead of our own? WHY should we accept resources being poured into meeting those needs when our own go unfulfilled (and where we were told for years/decades that there was no quick fix), WHY should we see our towns and communities jammed transformed and massively overcrowded to support others? WHY should we accept all this? What about OUR needs?!

What benefit is there in this for Ireland or its people, because - make no mistake - if they are expected to not just go along with it but do without themselves, or live with the consequences of an enforced resettlement plan, there has to be at least some benefits! You may not like that, but just as with the above part of this post, the real world is not a utopian fantasy of unlimited resources and charity!

What you are proposing just isn't practical, realistic or even desirable! I fear that you are living in a dream, but as with all dreams, you eventually have to wake up and return to the real world.

He's not in the right "camp" I'm afraid. It's absolutely disgraceful that it's come to that level of decision-making, but that's where we are now!

Before too long (if McEntee has her way) we probably won't be even allowed comment on most of this anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes I would . Be surprised . Because those rights were put to the country and won with a large majority .

And it would be more than those rights being given up voting farright .

Equality, disability rights , those lads don't care about any of that .

Make no mistake , anyone who votes for these scheisters and expects they will look after the poor homeless guy with cancer , or the elderly woman needing her home adjusted for disability, are just poor deluded individuals .

Look at the fool Farage has made of the people in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Do a poll, you are not representative of the average person. Look at the number of likes you are getting on your ‘right on posts’. For all the thread bombing you and a few other posters are engaging in you don’t seem to have much support.

• Advertisement

This really/ultimately has NOTHING to do with a "far right" GG, it's to do with the need to properly plan, control, and manage our immigration process and the supports and resources needed to do so.

Right now and for the last year in particular, the Government have blatantly failed to do this, and THAT is why there are people sleeping on the streets, increasingly unhappy and restless citizens, and critical services at or past breaking point.

It's our left-leaning moderate coalition Government that is at fault for this - not a convenient/lazy boogeyman "far right" brigade. It's the same FF, FG and other TDs that are responsible for this mess, and who are stoking the resistance and protests against the current approach they are taking.

If you want to complain about the road we're going down, I suggest starting there! Just as the rest of us are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seen in the local paper the county council are no longer accepting applications for home refurb grants for elderly, disabled etc. Next applications are been taken next year. Hang in there folks.

Brand New houses for a pittance and E40 a month for Lecky, bins and internet, we truly deserve everything we get for tolerating this rubbish.

It's a lot simpler than you think really - effective and efficient border and entry controls that are based on the ability to help, coupled with a rejection/deportation process that is more than "now we're trusting you to go home, alright?" as is the case now.

WE don't have to prepare for anything beyond those 2 things. WE are a small island on the edge of Europe. WE are not obliged to resettle anyone. There's a big World out there with countries far bigger and better setup than we are for them to go to. HERE we can't even solve our own problems, let alone anyone else's!

As I said above, it's very simple - we respond according to our ability, while still very much aware of our own needs, and we put structures and rules in place accordingly.

We are a small country of 5 million people with limited resources, hugely dependent on FDI and massive issues domestically that we haven't managed to address in decades. We've now taken in 100k people that have brought these services to breaking point, further deferred or ignored the existing demands of people already here, and we are now taking people in to sleep on the streets!

In short, we've already done MORE than "our part". It'll take years if not decades to sort out the mess we've created in just the last 12 months and that's without taking on any more "problems of the world!"

As I said, there's a big world out there for them to try - we can't do anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks whoring on boards is no metric to run anything by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I don’t think I’ve read one post of yours with anything thought provoking. You usually dance around your own political leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What have you to say on the metrics of the several national polls conducted that have found 75-90% of people are not in favour of the government’s current approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A number of 'International Protection Applicants' have taken it upon themselves to simply take possession of property.

The judge has refused to have them arrested on the basis:

Mr Justice Mulcahy refused to grant them due to what he said was a lack of evidence before the court about the identities of the persons on the property

Well, good luck with that I guess.

What a country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,111 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This isn't going help matters, it will cause more anger, unhappiness and upset when so many here cannot get planning permission for builds or extensions, social housing, rentals or any type of accommodation etc., barely surviving on medium to low wages or social welfare payments

We are a small Island nation who have taken in and done a lot more, this government really needs a f#cking kick up the ar$e and damn listen to the people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I 100% agree with that and definitely won't be voting for any faragian individuals, I'm certain though that the population is too small to ever support any kind of political party of that ilk here to any position of real relevance any time soon.

But that leaves me with no real way of influencing political discourse with regards to my views on migration. Spoiling my my ballot, hardly an ideal option.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Boards.ie isn't representative at all of the Irish population 😅

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's a standard occurence. You are now actively looking to find every little minor thing that has been happening in Ireland for decades to blame on refugees.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Opinions on here seem to mirror what the poles in the media are showing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

But most are too scared of sinn fein and a Motley crew of sub human right wingers isn't going to impress anyone.

Who is your choice for the next election.

• Advertisement

Most of the thought provoking ideas presented on boards are only thought provoking because of how stupid they are.

So are we banking on another round of Fianna Fáil and Fianna Gael for the big change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

So you agree that majority public opinion is against the current approach?

And I have no idea who I’ll be voting for currently, each is more false, disingenuous and spineless than the next

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Will the modular homes be for UKR refugees or for AS, or for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I believe the plan is they can be used as an ongoing form of temporary accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers, as well as Ukrainian people. But they are not really intended to be lived in - they are little more than glorified mobile homes or cabins and not suitable for a family to stay in long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The modular home bollocks was spouted in the news last week, that it'll be for 3 years and then used for social housing.

Then about two days after that statement some TD tit came out and said no, we'll pack them up and move them to Ukraine,

Given the housing situation and I know it's not there fault but it truly is **** disgusting. Brand new estates whipped up in weeks/months. But 500k - 1 million and counting for a house for the average worker who wants to live at least an hour from work. Not even beside it.

The media are loving it. Rubbing peoples noses in it just for comments and clicks.

EDIT: you've all seen that estate in cork. Small gaffs, but A rated, high standard fit out, back gardens bigger than most new builds.

Also in the paper another idiot TD said "we've cracked it, modular housing" now looking at two story builds. Fair play but none for the citizens of the country.

It doesn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Wouldn’t be entirely sure , Murphys base is really idiot students rather than blue collar workers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Competition is the essence of society and always has been

fantasy to believe “ we can house everyone “

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But domestic homelessness cannot scarcely be down to immigration or refugees. We had thousands of homeless people throughout the early to mid 2010s when net immigration was zero and refugee numbers were tiny (remember all those TV reports back then about homeless families having to be accommodated in hotels).

So therefore it's OK to add to the problem by importing tens of thousands more? - many of whom need even more supports?

I think this is the biggest problem with some folks here - they seem to think that our domestic and longstanding issues exist entirely in a vacuum from the demands and drains caused by adding huge numbers of people. You and others don't seem to grasp that providing for some means taking away from others.

Ultimately the resources (services, supplies, supports, people providing all of those!) come from the same finite pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep it's the big question for me alright. We are only dealing with a trickle at the moment and obviously the Ukraine exodus skews the big picture somewhat. I don't know how the EU are going to plan for it. I feel it could result in the EU breaking up as countries decide to go it alone. Obviously there is no chance of reversing climate change so people in the most impacted countries will be desperate to get into Europe and more and more will come illegally as food/water/energy resource issues worsen. The countries on the Med in southern Europe are on the front lines and I think they will allow pass-throughs if it suits them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement