Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They should be used for Irish students. The government are all too happy to throw the next generation under the bus with the OAP’s. I would have jumped at the chance of one of these in my college days.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Most definitely, and due to how easy Europe is to get to from the African Continent, the Asia (Middle East, Central Asia etc. Them add In how difficult it is to get to the likes of Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand due to geographical barriers. It makes sense that Europe will be the first choice.

It will be the biggest challenge our species faces, and I think we are going to fail it spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

You never answered my question.

If there were 50 million asylum seekers in Ireland would you say that asylum seekers and non asylum seeker residents were competing for the same resources (heath/ housing, etc.) or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It won't be up to the EU, no more than it was when countries along the eastern borders decided enough was enough a few years ago, or when they decided to reduce supports for Ukrainians a few months ago.

You seem to think that the EU is a unified decisive body - it's not. It's made up of a disparate group of individual nation states, each with their own agendas, domestic politics, historical grievances, cultural differences and priorities etc.

The reason they are part of the group in the first place is (like we were) for what they can get out of it economically and as a deterrent to their more aggressive, less concerned about the niceties, neighbour to the East. It had nothing to do with any notion of solidarity with their neighbours or greater good ideal. It was politics and money as is always the case.

As we saw in the financial crisis and even the early days of this illegal migration, when push comes to shove, individual nations will look after their own interests and the stronger members will bully the others into compliance (eg : the treatment of Italy, Greece, and even ourselves - equals or among friends we most certainly were not a decade or so ago).

The pushback from EU citizens has already begun and can only be written off as "far right" militants for so long. When national and then European elections start to return more conservative and nationalist parties things will change rapidly. Important note though for some - conservative and nationalist does not mean extremism or "far right"ism. Too much twitter nonsense might make you think so, but these concepts are not inherently evil or even bad!

The next crisis - whether it be an even bigger surge of migration, or the next financial crisis will likely be the end of the EU in its current form. There's just too many differences for it to ever work as a political entity, and certainly not as a unified one and as I said, when it comes down to it, nations will look after themselves first as we've seen.

When the dust settles we'll have probably something more akin to the old East/West alliances but with countries like ours even more ineffectual than we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But do we have any evidence that net immigration or refugees are the cause of around 12,000 Irish people being homeless? If you listen to homeless charities, none of them ever seem to make that connection and instead blame the government for what is happening.

This chart illustrates how homelessness increased in Ireland at a time when we had net immigration of zero and very little population growth:

Do you have a source to back up the claim, "Homeless charities and state agencies don't deal with asylum seekers and by the same token"? We are not allowed to use anecdotes here to illustrate a point but I know your statement is incorrect so would be interested to review your source. Maybe it's only a tiny minority that are working with both.

You're ignoring the point.. These things do not exist in a vacuum from each other. The resources being spent on refugees are resources being diverted from other just as valid (I would say even more so) domestic needs.

The Government are absolutely to blame though - for encouraging and financing this resettlement programme with no mandate from the electorate to do so (and indeed ignoring the will of the people as per polls). No one asked for them to pull out all the stops to provide housing, health cover, financial supports and other assistance at the expense of those who are then denied those same supports, or who must languish on waiting lists as a result.

The Government has no mandate to pursue this strategy and in a democratic country that's a massive problem!

To the best of my knowledge, Focus Ireland, the Father Peter McVerry Trust, the Simon Community, DePaul etc have no responsibility for accommodating current asylum seekers or refugees.

If you know my statement to be incorrect, feel free to fill us in on what is happening.

But isn't every single person who lives in the state - all 5 million of us - putting pressure on housing, schools, infrastructure, hospitals etc? Why single out refugees?

If you were to properly go down this route, you could claim there were too many old people in Ireland, too many families having children, too many culchies living in cities, too many emigrants returning home and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Pal you are genuinely having a laugh attempting to trot out this strawman again. I’ve called you out on it directly two if not three times previously on this thread and you’ve never acknowledged.

People are not blaming asylum seekers for causing the housing and homelessness crisis.

They are saying that our housing and health services are at breaking point as is and that adding tens of thousands of additional people in a short space of time only exacerbates our existing crises.

That is simply a fact. It is maths. If we’re already beyond strained, adding a huge amount of additional strain can only be detrimental.

Yet you persist in pretending people are just scapegoating asylum seekers for Irelands pre-existing ills. It really is rather intellectually dishonest at this point.

Ireland will likely go down with the ship in that regard yes. Like lemmings our political leadership will follow the EU over the edge, all while telling us that they had no choice, legal and moral obligations and other such nonsense.

But the EU is not a suicide pact either. We DO have choices and options and eventually we will exercise them - whether that be through a period of political instability and social unrest until the message sinks in, or because our EU "friends" face similar but more effective pushback first. Just as during the Financial Crisis, supposed "rules" or "restrictions" can be torn up overnight given the right political climate.

The real question is how much damage will be done beforehand. It's already daily news here in Ireland. You can be certain it will figure prominently on doorsteps come campaign season.

Please answer the question.

If there were 50 million asylum seekers in Ireland, would you say that asylum seekers and non asylum seeker residents were competing for the same resources (heath/ housing, etc.) or not?

So no source then but maybe you're correct, my experience (if I'm allowed to say) was with a charity that is an AHB.

Probably not next time out, but I think that FF, FG and the Greens will face a lot of anger at the electoral booth and SF will very possibly get its turn.

Now of course they are extremely likely to make everything worse, but then I doubt any SF involved Government will last more than a year at most - their only real agenda is a United Ireland, something which neither side is ready for or necessarily even wants.

The Government thereafter will have to deliver changes. Not many but then all most people are asking for on this issue is controls and security, and that we not take on any more than we can handle . Not an unreasonable ask by any stretch when you consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

More than 50% of that 12,000 homeless are non nationals.

Lets get this point straight.

Proves we were bursting at the seams years ago.

I have asked you a binary question. Here it is again.

If there were 50 million asylum seekers in Ireland, would you say that asylum seekers and non asylum seeker residents were competing for the same resources (heath/ housing, etc.) or not?

Please answer yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I think that's the massaged figures. Not new builds bringing old or disused stock up to code.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Complete madness, with the amount of people in this country struggling to pay the bills, really rubbing it in people's face with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think by the time the next GE comes around all parties will have immigration front and centre on their manifestos with housing!

They know where their bread is buttered 😏

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Government aims to accommodate around 2,800 Ukrainians at a number of sites across the country with the first site in Mahon, Cork City, to be open to Ukrainians this month.

The Irish Examiner understands the cost of each unit is working out at around €145,000 per unit which includes supply, delivery, and provision of electrical and household items.

However, this figure does not include the cost of site development and utility connection costs.

Ukrainians who move into the homes will have to pay a contribution fee including a utility charge to cover electricity, internet, and waste disposal.

It is understood that the financial contribution will be a percentage of income rather than at a set fee.

A 16% rate plus a €40 flat-rate utility charge will be applied.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41158678.html

You're not answering the question I asked.

It appears to me you don't want to answer the question because the answer is obvious and opens a can of worms for your position if you were to admit the obvious. Good night!

Ah not fair.

I was replying to someone saying that he would be surprised if a farright gov didn't get in. And that he would support that.

I don't.

But i certainly see everything thats going on and appeciate the frustration same as everyone else

Just don't like people stirring anti refugee sentiment.

But gov atm are crap I agree. And as per my last post there to montage, I think that will be changing.

Think they will get their lazy asses handed to them but don't think the opposition will be much different, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Ancedotes are allowed if its a positive about refugees and immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Do the homeless charities do anything but blame the government and ask for more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nursing homes, student accomodation - what next -The creches? Was there ever a truer statement about this farce-

“It’s time for Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin to stop focusing on their future EU careers and focus on the issues facing the people living in this country,” said the former Fianna Fáil TD

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/plan-to-turn-student-housing-in-sligo-into-refugee-centre-sparks-bitter-backlash/a893566610.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Homeless numbers collapsed during covid. It was a worrying time for the industry with people from abroad unable to fly in. Thankfully normal service has resumed and more money is getting thrown at it.

Advertisement