Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

None of the new ones here yet. There is 1 or 2 of the originals in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Anybody change the number plates, those holders aren't great looking things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Agreed. Our our TM3 I removed the frames earlier this year, attached the rear plate directly on the boot lid with screws/caps/adhesive tape, and finally went for the full hog with the vinyl sticker at front last week. The plain metal numberplate at the front still looked unsightly attacked to the black mouting plate and was actually creating a bit of noise at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

the stock holders are horrendous looking.. particularly the front. so I replaced both with vinyl plates and they look so much better...

They actually misprinted the little blue square on my vinyls, but I fitted them anyway, and when they sent me a new set properly printed, I just kept them as spares as I'm pretty sure I won't be able to install the new set as well as I installed the 1st set... I just got a blue sticker and cut out some little strips to fill in the little misprinted areas and it looks grand now from a distance…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Are the Vinyl plates road legal/suitable for NCT Test ? They white portion doesn’t look very reflective but I’ve only seen them in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are not strictly road legal and could fail an NCT if you get a finicky tester. Some folks on the TOG have ran with these plates for years without issue.

I hate those plates almost as much as 4D plates.

Thanks all, time to get looking so. May follow Slave1 for the rear.

not legal. minimum thickness for plastic plates (of which vinyl is a plastic) is 3mm, and I measured the stickers at about 1.5mm, so you could double up on them to technically be at 3mm thickness.

the first Irish Model 3's are due their NCT's in Q4, and some of the 192 cars have vinyl number plates so we'll see then..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I did what sh81722 did, just took apart the stock plates and stuck them on with double sided tape (or maybe I bought new plates, can't remember) for the rear and then vinyl for the front, check up some YT vids on the vinyl plates, I highly recommend soapy water application as that will give you a minute or so to align into final position, I did not fill in the screw holes that are left when you remove the front plate and unless you were right down there looking for them they are not noticeable.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

It will be getting a good deep clean so I'll be taking plates off anyway and get a vinyl front ordered. I'll look at the rear and may reuse the screws with a couple of caps to hold the rear without the frame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The rear will stay in place no bother with good quality double sided tape, I've done that my last few cars and zero issue, including regular washing etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Agreed. With some of the industrial quality tapes on the market, you'll be breaking the plate before the tape comes loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

^^The vinyl one I bought is reflective. I got increasingly tired looking at those clunky looking Tesla frames and as mentioned the front is causing some audible turbulence on motorway. It has also very sharp without a frame so this sticker stays on until the first NCT at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I mean appearance is subjective so we can agree to disagree on that, however there's no arguing the legality.

As someone used to driving non taxed old bangernomics diesels running on green, kero and or god knows what, I have an inbuilt fear of checkpoints developed and dont want to give them any reason to stop me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Best of luck with the tester. I had an NCT fail because the stupid county name written in Klingon was a bit faded due to water damage. The NCT system is compromised because the only avenue the monopoly private company has for revenue growth is to increase the fail rate, with no oversight that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I don’t think any part of that is correct. RSA awarded the tender and I’m sure have a decent level of oversight into its operation. I’m not involved in NCT but I do work on other government tenders and no operator gets a free ride.

Also I’m fairly sure they’re paid a fixed fee for operating a pre-determined level of service, possibly with some adjustment for meeting or missing performance criteria. It would be a pretty dumb contract to incentivise the operator to fail people needlessly.

I know a lot of people give out about the ID software but I'm finding the travel assist a better set up than that currently offered by the autopilot/autosteer in the M3, especially since the 3.2 update.

Unless I'm missing some settings somewhere, don't think so, then autopilot doesn't offer:-

• Automatic slow down approaching junctions/roundabouts
    • Automatic slow/accelerate at speed zone changes
    • Automatic warning and slow down approaching dangerous bends/tight corners. The autopilot would have you in a ditch.
    • Automatic slow down when approaching a turn when using navigation
    • Doesn't cancel the autosteer when overtaking or just randomly for that matter

The M3 is a great car no doubt but so is the ID3 and I'll certainly miss it when it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

The ID system was better in many ways, as you have mentioned. Even just the smart regen on its' own was great. The Tesla works fine for me, I don't use autopilot much, it is too limited on normal N roads. But you can set it to look after speed limits.

Yip, think it is a motorway only thing at this stage.

I have the speed limit set but it only notifies of the change and not slow down for same, should it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, I think so. Not at car and cannot remember settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I have the same as you, no auto-change of cruise limit when the speed limits change

Aside from that I use AP everywhere and it works perfectly for me, even without the radar sensors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

+1

The "software is crap" on the ID cars is way overplayed at this point. The main issues have been resolved and people can complain about certain aspects of it (slow etc) but its fairly reliable at this point and the ID cruise and lane assist stuff is better than Tesla's as you said. Glad others agree as its hard to say anything negative about Tesla software or to suggest VW software is better in some parts!

I'd add auto dimming and auto wipers as being way better on the ID cars as well. They are quite poor on Tesla.

Tesla is of course better in other parts...Netflix etc, the app, etc.

It seems to reduce the speed automatically when exiting motorways, so will reduce to 80 and 60 etc….

for every other speed limit change you need to hold down the autopilot stalk for 2 seconds to adjust the set speed to the current speed limit (assuming the car recognises it)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,370 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@KCross - "I'd add auto dimming and auto wipers as being way better on the ID cars as well. They are quite poor on Tesla."

Yes both are very unimpressive on the Tesla.

@KCross - "Tesla is of course better in other parts...Netflix etc, the app, etc."

Yes Netflix and the app are extremely important of course. And Tesla might even be a tiny bit better in unimportant areas like efficiency where a short range Tesla has more range than a long range VW and costs 30-40% less to fuel, in live route planning with charger preconditioning for shortest possible charging stops, the supercharger network itself, etc. 😂

Not knocking VW in any way here though, I'm delighted the VW EVs are doing well. The ID.4 is the best selling EV in Ireland. And in my personal view much better looking than its competitor the Model Y. The Tesla Model Y is the best selling car in the world. In Ireland, we are a few years behind. We used to be a few decades behind in many things, so good progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

For me, Teslas acceleration within legal speed limits in the LR/P variants is what I imagine cocaine is like for a regular user, it's highly addictive, I hate that I want it so much but I can't help myself😂

I heavily criticise Tesla but unfortunately I think I'm willing to put up with the inferior aspects of their cars purely due to the performance/price when compared to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The acceleration never gets old even in the rwd which is the slowest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I think probably reason why ID.4 is outselling MY in Ireland is that people simply prefer more advanced cars and considering size of country the long distance advantage of Tesla is of little use. It is very likely though that this year MY will be beat ID.4, price is very important which could be seen in success that previously unknown Dacia achieved.

I can probably say now that after 3 years and 3 months, I'm finally starting to get used to it (and mine is the slightly faster OG SR+ with 5.6s as opposed to the 6.1s of the modern RWD's since early last year)... I've had a few foot to the floor moments of 'enthusiastic acceleration' over the last few weeks and feel I now want a bit more.... like as if I'm just too used to it!

I test drove a Model 3 Performance last year for the craic as I was out in Sandyford for the day and it was utterly insane!! So I still don't require that level of insanity, but the thoughts of getting into an LR become more appealing by the week... (and having the acceleration boost in the back pocket of an LR is a nice prospect too for when it's 4.4 starts to feel 'not enough' anymore)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

That's a good point. With the white m3p and the lr being so close in price, you might be better off going for the m3p.

If you like white ofc

Advertisement