Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

I agree. They weren't too happy (people) to join the EU not long after a breakaway from another union, however after 2 decades in EU there is never even a mention of leaving EU. Not at least in Baltics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Can the EU afford the rebuilding costs for Ukraine, very unlikely.

Will Paris and Berlin agree to shift the power focus in the EU so far East, completely unlikely.

Will the Southern EU states agree to end funding for them as a very poor and now destroyed State is to join, not a hope.

There is no scenario where Ukraine is an EU member in the next 30 years

I'm pretty sure people in Ireland in 1995 on whatever paper version of Boards.ie at the time were commenting something like - "There is no scenario where Poland and Baltic states are members in the next 30 years."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

no the US hasnt said they want Ukraine to win,i dont think they can as it would be a huge diplomatic mistake and you can only imagine the fall out from that from all corners...i think Ukraine will eventually push the russians back to the original border,yes there will be heavy losses but one thing i think is important to keep in mind is they are fighting for their country,their land and their identity,i dont think they will give up any of that...yes from what ive seen over the last while the russians are fanatical and by christ some of the tactics make me shiver but to my mind anyway that seems to come from the top gangsters in charge and the officer class in the military and of course some of the ordinary soldiers but ive also seen the videos of the ordinary conscript and jeez they are in poor shape not at all what we've been led to believe over the years,and yeah the leaders do have the smugness about them but they had that since the 'special military operation' '3 days to take Kyiv' started...i really doubt that Zelenskyy and his advisors will do anything that will backfire on them,theyd lose all their support and their country....i think these last few days have seen Ukraine probing russian defenses,finding weak points and consolidating all that information,US/UK intelligence im sure are talking to the Ukraine military and wont be talking to us normal joe soaps,id also think theyd have a direct feed to those satalites/high flying drones they have...i genuinely cant see the russians having any kind of ace up their sleeves at all at this stage...all that is just my opinion.

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You're asking the wrong question. As one of only 9 net contributors in the EU the question you need to ask is can Ireland afford the rebuilding costs?

The same way a German needs to ask can Germany afford the rebuilding costs.

These are not the same questions as asking can Poland afford it, for example.

They won't be paying, we'll be paying.

It will take many decades to rebuild Ukraine by both the west and Russia in the territories they hold.

It won't be seen as "rebuilding" really as the result will be so far in the future the war will be a distant memory.

And then there is the whole issue of corruption, another nettle that needs to be grasped before money is put in to repairing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I suppose this is why some people are a little concerned over the last few days. You are not the only ones.

I suppose the good point is Ukraine have only used 3 of their 12 assault brigades. There must a reason in regards the other 9. I suppose 2 options are there waiting for a break somewhere to get through and send the other 9 to go I to the breach, only problem is would take time to get forces to there. Or I wonder will they take a massive gamble and literally send the 9 assault brigades at some point and make 1 concentrated attack. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ukraine will be deploying some of those reserved brigades to Kharkiv/Luhansk direction, from kupyansk moving northeast. They may get territory back that way, and disrupt russian supply lines through starobilsk. This would also draw more forces away from melitopol direction.

They may commit more to bakhmut direction also, there are still attacks going on north and south of the city.

The attack on melitopol and tokmak in order to cut the land bridge has been well choreographed for almost a year at this stage - everyone knows what the targets are, the approximate direction of attack, etc. There is no element of surprise here, so they need to force Russians to draw forces away to fill holes elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭zv2

Zelenskyy said the weather is holding them back. Lots of rain in the south this week.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The mock show trials of POWs have begun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The bigger the area of unrestricted trade and travel the better. From an economic view point. From a social and political standpoint it may be different. But Ukraine is a valuable country there would not be such a deadly war over it if it wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't know about this. Based on what we're seen so far, I get the feeling that we're going to be going back to a mostly attritional phase for awhile yet. I think the set back Ukraine had during the Robotyne assault has shaken them and they will be more reluctant to use the newly formed brigades in a risky attack. We've already seen a change of tactics from the Ukrainians in the last week, they are for the first time starting to use GLMRS against frontline targets. This is acknowledgement that the mainline of the Russian defences are currently too strong to assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

No valid response so just resort to personal insults and slander. Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You sat up all hours waiting for the lastest footage of people being killed! You seriously need to have a chat with someone about that kind of weirdness!

first comment on the tweet from that Indian so called Dr....Gulrez Sheikh 🙈 What's up with Indians always cheering up for any fascist, Nazi, terrorist regime and clapping their hands like dumb seals for every stupidity and crime they make?

While other kids were learning for their spelling tests the next day....

Interesting remark, again suggests America maybe more invested in a long conflict than helping Ukraine to deliver a devastating blow:

The US defence secretary, Lloyd Austin, said the war in Ukraine is a “marathon, not a sprint” and that America will “stand with Ukraine for the long haul”. He made the comments at a meeting of Nato defence ministers in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That remarks speaks to them being invested in what they expect to be a long conflict. There is nothing there to indicate your spin on it - "than helping them to deliver a devastating blow".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm no expert but given the amount of RU artillery pieces being destroyed at the moment I think it's possible that many of the probes over the past week were, at least in part, intended to reveal their positions to enable UAF to target them in advance of any larger push?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Reports already of big increase in forces into Kupyansk, would be surprised if they didnt mount some form of attack in that direction this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

The EU will definitely support re-build... however, they aren't going to break the bank, as we've seen demonstrated numerous times so far.... EU will never shoot themselves in the foot... what they will do is slowly invest to bring Ukraine up to EU standards, for accession into the Union.

What you are overlooking is the already in place guarantees from Blackrock and other VC firms to get in and foot the initial costs for rebuilding when the war is over.

As has been demonstrated throughout the war, Ukraine is a wealth of technological and manufacturing talent, this has not gone un-noticed and there is huge interest from firms to get into Ukraine as soon as it's safe to do so, not to mention countless start ups that will happen.

Besides that, as sanctions stay in place longer and the legal battles to release seized Russian funds progresses, it will turn into a case of Russia paying for the continuing war against themselves and contributing towards the initial re-build. This is why avoiding sanction fatigue is vital.

Your view is very short sited, in the longer term an independent Ukraine will be very profitable for the EU and the collective West, not to mention the security guarantees gained also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It's a very antiquated view (that Kermit displays) i.e. that the EU is primarily about economics. That might have been true 40 years ago but certainly isn't now.

Member states have already helped to integrate Poland, Lithuania, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria, Latvia, Slovenia, Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czechia. Not to mention East Germany.

Poland is forecasted to have a higher GDP per capita in 2030 than the UK. EU expansion is a win-win.

Integrating Ukraine is not the challenge people think. There is a well-established and very successful playbook for this. Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania are also in the process - and (apart from maybe Serbia, who need to clean their act in quite a few ways) will also gain accession.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's more benefit to supporting Ukraine monetarily then there was in Afghanistan, anyone thinking the cost will have any impact on EU membership or rebuilding hasn't got their head on straight.

"The West" is watching russia destroy itself, they'll continue supporting Ukraine for as long as it takes and will fast track any EU or NATO membership as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

As opposed to the scores of posters here who scour the internet for footage of Russians/Ukrainians being blown to bits. Maybe a few could do with chatting to someone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Personally, I do not watch first-person war footage. It is too real for me because I had some military training. One of the most frightening sounds for me is this quiet thumping of the automatic mortar gun, which means that the action is near

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Start the clock, we'll see if their training is done in 4 months, 6 months or 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I'll say what iv'e thought for a few years now and that's the fact the US couldn't give a fiddlers about Ukraine. It is interested in the destruction of Russia in a slow methodical process, putting in power someone more friendly to them and tapping into Russia's simply gigantic natural resources reserve. In a nutshell Russia is falling to pieces and has been for years now and it's either the west or China that takes the spoils.

The west could give Ukraine what it needs to win the war tomorrow but will let this burn on for years slowly destroying both Ukraine and Russia in the process. This is my biggest gripe and i fail to see how others can't grasp this basic premise. It's cowardly at best and evil at worst.

Remember nations don't have allies, they have interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

One of the ideas that i saw mentioned by some Ukranian official was:

Part of the training packages is split between engaging aerial targets/ engaging marine targets / engaging ground targets. Under normal cicumstances, coupled with the basic training on the aircraft you would teach each pilot all of these skills. However in this case to expedite the timeline you could simply teach all of them the basic and then teach Pilot group A : Air, Pilot group B: Sea and Pilot group C: Land. Effectively giving you the capabilities but spread across your pilot base while significantly cutting the training time for each.

So I personally would definitely be leaning towards the shorter timespans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement