Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

Officially, the Athenry-Tuan-Milltown Feasibility Study is complete and shelved pending the All Ireland Rail Review- which now has a "post-political assessment" publish date of the Third Quarter of 2024. In other words - it has been tanked.

Whatever was in it must have been pretty definitive seeing as it's been allocated 300k towards the design phase prior to the release of the study or the rail review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

One lesson to be learned from this: No more policy strategy reviews. They are an excuse for further reviews and indefinite postponment of any real tangible investments.

The cost of all the reviews of the last 20 years (including the cost of delays) would have financed quite a lot of real developments

Indeed, though to be fair, while many are used as a blocking manoeuvre, especially when it comes to the WRC, the rail review should act as the last word.

By the rime the All Ireland Review is published (late 2024!!!) it will be somewhat dated and therefore a review and revision of the Review will be necessary. Rinse and repeat. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The AIRR clearly isn't worth the paper it's printed on, otherwise it would be published. It was a pointless exercise anyway, the NDP determines which projects proceed in the short - medium term.

It was always going to be the case that the AIRR was only going to prevent non-rail projects from going ahead but make no difference to the delivery of rail projects (or any difference it could have made went out the window if it actually advocates for reopening lots of Victorian railways through empty countryside). Not publishing has the same effect as publishing but as long as it is not published, it can't be scrutinised which suits plenty of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Westernview

I didn't see that update - the announcement that it's pushed back to third quarter of 2024. Do you have a link please?

Even the NDP seems to be subject to changes if projects like the N17 upgrade is pushed back or shelved - and this a project that was previously regarded as key to developing an Atlantic economic corridor.

lt feels like a lot of the recent uncertainty and mixed messaging could be the consequence of a 3-party government set up that's going a bit stale. Parties with different agendas pulling in different directions resulting in stagnation.

You omit the NTA factor. The NTA is a bureaucratic black hole in my opinion.

The AIRR clearly isn't worth the paper it's printed on, otherwise it would be published.

It can't be published until reviewed by both north and south governments and there is no Northern govt ergo it can't be signed off

The Atlantic economic corridor, brought to you by the same folks who recommended the WRC

• Advertisement

If something is important enough and worthwhile for NI, it still can get sign off. The AIRR is just another report for the shelf. If the civil servants thought it was important, they could get it the necessary sign off.

Nope, it can only be signed off by a sitting govt in the North, which has been absent for 492 days at this point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that you might have missed some of the news up there, they've brought in swingeing cuts to their health and social care budget, all down to the fact that the government up there can't sign off on anything. Those are incredibly more important than any rail document, and they still didn't sort it out.

The AIRR is only a report. Whatever about an NI Governmant being needed to approve projects or programmes stemming from the AIRR, surely the Irish Government can go ahead and publish and be damned. Bureaucratic hyper-caution at its worst.

Thanks for that. Looking like late next year at this stage so unfortunately. Wonder will the draft release for this July reach the public domain or just remain internal.

On a positive it seems Varadkar is hinting at it not requiring Northern Ireland approval if the institution fails to reconvene but again no timeframe on that.

I think that you must have missed the approval of energy grant payments which was delayed due to no NIE but happened eventually. Health cuts are happening all over the UK, it's not due to the lack of Ministers in NI. I'm sure sign off was needed for the Irish government paying for southern student nurses to study at northern universities but again it is happening.

Civil servants can operate within existing policies set by NIE when it was still operating. I doubt there were any policies against reports on the rail network.

I'm just saying if the report was important, it would be published. Not publishing doesn't really change anything, it just gives an excuse to hold up greenway projects.

I would say that the draft report will be a key part of the electioneering programme for a number of parties- this has started already with leaked elements including Ballina-Claremorris-Tuam-Waterford freight and a possible commuter Tuam-Athenry link (hinted in Ciaran Cannon's question). Unfortunately, as was stated earlier, by the time it's finally published, in late 2024, we will have a new Transport Minister and no doubt he or she will require another study and another set of reports and on it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I wonder how much longer it will take before a draft version is "leaked" inadvertently or very purposely?...

It is being leaked on a daily basis by western politicians. I estimate that 70% + of it is already in the public arena. WRC: Claremorris-Athenry Freight- linking to Ballina. Tuam- Athenry - Cummuter link. North of Claremorris mothballed ( greenway.. or funny cycle train things). Claremorris Chamber have already redesigned their logo as a "Heart of West" with a railway logo Exciting times ahead for rail advocates South of Claremorris

• Advertisement

"Clasrmorris-Athenry freight - linking to Ballina". What does this mean? Where does this freight go from Athenry?

I can think of freight flows which should be orders of magnitude more promising than this.

“Now the principle of using the closed railway for leisure is established, the greenway on the other parts of the closed railway in Mayo, Galway and Sligo really needs to be looked at.”

Makes sense

I agree, but it's grist to the mill for rail advocates and this is a 'Rail Report' after all. They had Baxter flagging a modal shift from road to rail via Waterford. Looked like an opportunistic bit of green-washing to me but I'm epigenetically cynical, but people can make up their own minds. https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/06/02/baxter-commence-rail-freight-from-mayo-to-waterford-port/

A bit of cynicism is no harm when assessing announcements but I don't think an American company like Baxter would bother with green-washing announcements. They are in Castlebar for over 50 years and tend to base decisions mainly on economics where possible. But as they have said they have increasing obligations to reduce carbon emissions and thats why they are moving towards rail.

Based on the enthusiasm of businesses and the statements from Eamon Ryan it looks like the line from Claremorris to Athenry will reopen, we just don't know how many years away it is. North of Claremorris is off the agenda for a long long time, and may never return to rail.

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Don't know where you get your idea that Company X "wouldn't bother with green-washing". You could apply your follow-on logic to any company, and if it applied no-one would be doing it. But we know that's not the case.

And in fact, if Baxter wanted to just do the right thing, then we wouldn't know about it. Instead we have (presumably) a press release which the Connaught Telegraph helpfully re-published (Note: no "journalist" named on the "article"). The fact that they want to virtue-signal about their decision ("look how green we are") should indeed make one question their motivations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Surely any report, any analysis, will propose that the mainline from Galway to Athenry and also Port to Athlone, should be doubled before any more work is done on the WRC?

I am all for re-opening Athenry to Claremorris, but after the re-doubling.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe a good service with resilience can be provided on a single track?

Maybe just more passing loops are required?

I disagree. I don't get the sense that they are just saying "look how green we are" as some empty slogan. Whatever their own motivations they also have said that reducing carbon is "a key expectation of its global customer base". Its the world we live in now where switiching to lower carbon options will make business sense and make a company more attractive to customers.

Baxter is a major employer in Mayo and I would think a press release about switching to rail was a positive thing. To me its sending a message to other local businesses to consider a similar approach and it would be a welcome thing to hear similar announcements from other companies. But you seem to think it should be kept quiet and that if it arrives in the local media then it must be empty rhetoric. The fact is they are moving output from road to rail now and that's undeniably carbon reduction. Its not a vague aspiration for the future.

The passing loop at Oranmore will allow a frequency of 3trains per direction per hour (tpdph) between Galway and Athenry. This is a 3-fold increase on current usage which is about 1tpdph.

Double tracking of all lines should be prioritised, but the single line still has a lot to give.

There are often more than one train per hour passing through Oranmore.

• Advertisement

Baxter and others sending freight from Castlebar to Waterford or Dublin is just great. But there is already an established route for that via Claremorris, Athlone, Portarlington and Kildare. Athenry seems to be irrelevant at least to the immediate issue. Longer loops and a better arrangement forthe reversing of freight trains at Kildare should be urgent priorities.

The times are the same on some of those so I assume it's the same train. At best there are 2 trains in 25minutes in the morning, then mostly every 40mins-1hr+.

The 2 inbound trains in the morning mean no trains can depart Galway city.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The long standing canard of sending freight from Ballina to Waterford/“Rosslare” via the WRC and the Limerick-Waterford by West on Track appears now to be official transport policy. Regardless of the actual viability of such an option.

The lack of sizeable flows, the cost of reopening the line, the fact that such a path already exists and is used occasionally without new infrastructure, the massive demands for rail investment in the cities which is being neglected do not appear to be roadblocks to this ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don’t think many would disagree with you on the double track argument, this is seemingly already in progress at least between Galway and Athenry, starting with an additional platform and passing loop in Oranmore.

By all accounts the AIRR is going to recommend reopening Claremorris to Athenry initially for freight with a future reintroduction of passenger services. I assume this would be to allow freight from Mayo to pass through Athenry to Limerick and then on to Waterford or Foynes. This wouldn’t require use of the Galway to Dublin main line, perhaps the reason passenger services come later is that by their rationale it’s contingent on the double tracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see VeloRail has now launched: https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irelands-first-velo-rail-opens-it-will-put-east-mayo-on-the-map/a2011532590.html

Good luck to them and all that, but watching the video just reinforced my view that it's a pretty dumb idea. You could have 4-person quadracycles going up and down a greenway, they could have motor assist (which the VeloRail apparently doesn't have) and the greenway would still be usable by people on normal bikes, trikes, wheelchairs, joggers etc. It seems a very limited system that's going have limited appeal.

Personally I'm looking forward to the PAC investigation once it collapses

It'll be interesting to hear Michael Rings answers lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Yes, there is prep surveying happening.

But please note that the planning application for the 1km passing loop has not been submitted yet.

Wouldn't going from Athenry to Waterford require the driver to change ends in Limerick? I can't see it being a realistic option due to operational difficulties it would cause. Any trains going to Belview would almost certainly continue to use the current route, a new junction to join the Waterford line would likely be a better option for aiding rail freight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any attempt to make a business case by moving pre existing traffic flows would fail unless they could show some exceptionally beneficial replacement use for those slots

There is some progress, yes, but the following is not ambitious, double-tracking to Athenry by 2040.

Just maybe 20km of doubling, 17 years away, God Help Us.

• Advertisement

Looking at the timescales involved on that chart you'd swear double tracking and electrification of lines were experimental projects and hadn't been attempted anywhere in the world before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

hourly dublin galway would probably use up some, and as well as that you remove freight reversing in kildare.

now a curve to the waterford line from the portarlington direction would sort kildare reversal but that won't happen even though it would offer more benefits then facilitating mayo waterford freight.

i believe athenry claremorris to limerick and on to waterford via clonmell is actually a shorter route over all, think that was mentioned on here before.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Even if it's a shorter distance going Claremorris > Limerick > Waterford, I doubt it is a faster journey time. The driver would have to change ends in Limerick and it is a poor quality route riddled with LCs.

If the AIRR is of any use, it would examine the costs and benefits of reopening Athenry - Claremorris v double tracking Portarlington - Athlone. I'd be confident that the extra paths created from the double tracking would be hugely beneficial whereas the Athenry - Claremorris reopening would be of little use due to lack of paths in all directions out of Athenry.

Double tracking or not, I would say the glacial pace of the Athenry-Limerick section is a bigger issue for both freight and passenger services.

Imagine!.. an hour from Athenry to Ennis for passenger services. That is appalling. They need to close as many level crossing/ farm crossings as possible.

A turning loop at Limerick to connect with Waterford line should be possible, as there is only low density industrial there.

The direct curve you have shown at Limerick, from the Athenry direction towards Waterford, goes right through an industrial estate. Good luck with that.

By comparison, a direct curve from the Cork main line onto the Waterford line south of Cherryville Junction would be across open fields (with 2 bridges under major roads) and would make for very large cost and time savings by avoiding running around at Kildare.

Combined with longer loops and some doubling between Portarlington and Athlone, this would enable much more freight and passenger traffic to and from the West

That's a lot of work and expense to facilitate a freight route which is already in operation.

It seems things like this are missed/ignored in relation to further WRC reopenings, the reopening itself will cost a lot but be of very limited use unless other investments are also made. Hopefully the AIRR examines these things fully.

THat depends on the type of LC. Not a problem with very expensive fuly signalled 4-barrier CCTV monitored LCs.

Looks like we're going to get to see the AISRR next month.

Its being released for public consultation

Its currently proposed that it will be fully signed off, north and south, by Q3 next year, but that is contingent on Stormont sitting. If Stormont doesn't sit, there is an alternative route where "approval will be considered taking into account the decision making framework set out in the Northern Ireland Act of 2022 and it is expected that a final review will be published in Autumn of next year"

You say we will see the AISRR next month, but then at the end you say Autumn of next year. Which is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement