Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I heard a lot of Cannon's Irish family turned up for U21 match in Cork to see him play - maybe it's a case that it's something he wanted to do but feels future is with England.

I think that we have Ferguson will soften the blow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

U21s will now only play Ukraine and Kuwait as Gabon decided not to show up for tomorrow's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is Lee Carsley the scapegoat for Cannongate?

Some will probably try to scapegoat him but they're currently in camp for the U21 Euros which start in 9 days and he could very well be out of a job next month. If the FA have contacted Cannon I doubt Carsley has been involved. See Carsley agent though was hard at work again recently as one tye English papers was linking him to the Ireland job.

Doubt he cares too much about a player whose not gonna be currently involved with his team and a player he mightn't get to manage either if the talk about the FA wanting to hire a manager who could replace Southgate eventually or the U21s underperform.

And there's a chance they could underperform as they haven't really looked overly impressive for team that's got some talented players.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

The Gabon squad must have been approached by England too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Hopefully, if nothing else, the Cannon thing will put to bed that awful suggestion that Scousers are not English that is typically pedalled by Irish Liverpool fans - they obviously feel plenty English considering they all have sterling England careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Why is it awful if some people from Liverpool don't identify as English? Many in that area are of Irish heritage and there are a lot of historical reasons for Liverpool people feeling isolated from the 'Home Counties' etc.

With a name like irishmanmick, it seems unlikely that you a staunch English nationalist yourself!

And clearly not everyone born in Liverpool goes on to have a sterling England career as you put it. Maybe you are too young to remember John Aldridge and Jason McAteer to name two!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Is that what that was? Man U vs Liverpool nonsense?

I thought it was a strange comment but I guess that explains it. Shame to take up space in this thread with it, but then it's a bit of a ghost town on boards these days so carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tom Cannon wasn't even born when McAteer scored against the Dutch so you are going back a long way to suit your argument.

Second and Third generation Irish dont have the same affinity for playing for Ireland anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You would nearly forget there is a game on Friday. Very low key. Maybe its end of season syndrome

Possibly end of season syndrome and the fact they're having a long training camp in Turkey. They travel to Greece tomorrow.

They had a 70min training match at the weekend between themselves. Few players switched between both sides but one side was mostly fringe players. Idah didn't feature as he was ill.

From Twitter it's seems Bazunu, Collins, Egan, O'Shea, Doherty, Cullen, Molumby, Ferguson were on the green team. McClean, Obafemi, Knight, and Smallbone switched between the green and white team. So would assume O'Dowda also wore both if McClean switched but no mention of who possibly switched with Obafemi. Alan Browne only played 20mins while he recovers from injury but no word on which team he played on. He could have switched with McClean rather than O'Dowda with Doherty going LWB.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mikey Johnston replaced Obafemi and they lined up similar to how we did against France with Johnston playing the role Ogbene did against France.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have one ticket in Block 114 for Monday for €30.

PM if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

And if we don’t do it Friday I’d say it’s a stat that’s safe another 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't get the whining over English players by birth wanted to play for England instead of Ireland.

Let's be honesrt Ireland is only a 'second prize' for English born people with the odd rare exception.

. If the rules on International football eligibility was around when Jack Charlton managed Ireland - No way would Townsend have stayed put in Ireland - Aldridge would likely have switched back to England as well etc.

Plus Irish supporters griping about English born players preferring to play for England have selective memories. As for years the FAI have plundered the IFA for footballers.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That is a bit of an over simplification of Liverpool's relationship within the UK. Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney had Irish roots - both Liverpool born. But they were never going to chose Ireland. 1) Because they were good enough to play for England 2) They are proud Englishmen.

If they were not good enough to play for England it might have been a different story.

Didn't we have a get together last year before the Armenia match and then perform like a drain?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Possibly given our form in away qualifiers. Close to 29 years without a win against a team in the top 50 away from home which still doesn't change if we win on Friday. Estonia in the play offs is the next highest in rankings (59th) that we've won away to in Euro qualifiers.

Funnily enough the one qualifier where we were actually very very good away from home, WC 2018, we ended up throwing away qualification with our poor home results. Took 7/9 away from home against the top three seeds but only took 2/9 at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,000 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem is not English players wanting to play for England.

The problem is with English players playing underage for Ireland, which takes attention and resources away from Irish players, and then upping sticks when the time is right for them.

We are just being used and we get no long term benefit.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Using Ireland as an 'audition' so if they are very good at the international level they get picked up by England, if not they have the Ireland safety net so it is a win, win, for them. Exactly what Declan Rice did.

If I remember correctly in the few International matches he played for Ireland senior 'uncompetitively' there were a few pundits/former players who immediately were calling him a future Irish captain, composure beyond his years etc. So it definitely helped put Rice in the spotlight more so than if he had had to wait for his chance that bit longer at West Ham.

I don't really know how you stop it because there is no sincerity to it. Practically and economically most are going to pick the larger nation, even if it just gets them a few proper caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it’s really as simple as players doing what’s best for their development. It doesn’t bother me at all in underage levels, I would expect there’s plenty of players playing for their less preferred under age national sides.

Its more annoying when the player is in or around the senior side, but I’d still prefer them to not play for us if they don’t really want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe we shouldnt pick the English players until they are over 21. Its not like playing them underage makes them loyal to us anyway so why waste the spot of an Irish born lad? Michael Keane is another guy who used us to get picked for the England team.

Anyone else think this is absolute nonsense?

Nations League addition

The UEFA Nations League quarter-final round in March will involve the League A group winners and runners-up. These teams will face each other in home-and-away ties, with the winners advancing to the final four.

Additionally, there will be promotion/relegation play-offs between the third-ranked teams in League A and the runners-up in League B, as well as between the third-ranked in League B and the League C runners-up. As with the quarter-finals, these ties will take the form of home-and-away fixtures.

While the change in rules meant players like Johansson could now play for us, the rule that made him ineligible didn't fully go away. Unless an English born player is second generation then they'll likely become ineligible for us if they play for England at any level after the age of 21. Though one or two sites say it's when the player turns 21 regardless of whether they play a game or not.

So Delap for example, unless he's sorted out his Irish passport before he turns 21 may become ineligible for us next year. So FAI will likely have to get third generation players involved in the set up before they turn 21 or at least identify players and sort out their passports for them in case they wanna switch later on.

The Dutch team, based on tonight, and their first couple of qualifiers are really not up to much. I'd say the battle for 2nd spot in the group could turn into a bit of a slog.

You know the new rule, where you could have a guy play for England at 21, then he doesnt get picked for 5 years, and so he can change national team. is that just if he isnt selected by england after his first few caps at 21? or could he call in sick any time he is called up and change national teams a few years later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The rule is that they cannot have played in more than 3 competitive international matches, and cannot have played in any after turning 21 - so the oldest they can have played is 20. From there, yes, i think they could reject call ups in order to switch nations.

If you've played in no more than three competitive games at senior level (though games at tournaments automatically tie you down) before you're 21st birthday then you're entitled to switch but must wait three years after your last cap.

Players who played for their home country but not at senior level, who were under 21 at the time and have since lived in a new country for five years or more can apply for a switch to represent their new place of residence. This also applies to players that began living on the territory before the age of 10 for at least three years.

So think what some have said might catch third generation players is the living in a new country for five years . Because third generation players aren't automatically given citizenship at birth but only entitled to it and need to register their births first if it's done after they're 21 it might not satisfy FIFA's criteria for switching. They may have to claim their Irish citizenship before they turn 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

What's the story with tickets to the Gibraltar game? I was obviously a little late in trying to source them (only looked about 2 weeks ago), but I assume they sold them as single game tickets prior to that? All I am seeing now is that you have to buy duo tickets which includes the Neatherlands game in September (that I can't go to). Obviously there are tickets left for Monday's game, will they be sold on a single basis closer to the game when they realise they still have tickets left? Bizarre that they have stopped selling single game tickets when there are seats still left.

I think its a bit sly of the FAI selling tickets for 2 games together. I could pay 150 but on principle I wont buy them. Also I usually would buy 2 tickets, 1 for me and 1 for a friend, I did it for Ireland v Serbia, I think they were 100 euro for the 2 tickets, but if I did that now its 300 euro for 2 tickets 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's also one thing to sell the 2 tickets if the more attractive game is first, to make people commit to the less attractive game later - but surely the Dutch game in September will draw a full crowd regardless, so why not make it easy to get individual ticket sales for the Gibraltar match now? I know what they're trying to do, but it's counter productive.

Were Austria not ranked in top 50 when we beat them in Vienna in 2016? I remember it being some kind of long term hoodoo being broken. Higher seeded team maybe.

Grim enough stat either way.

beating them and wales happened but it was a World Cup qualifier.

obafemi opted out of press duties yesterday so a reasonable likelihood is he’s having a sulk after being told he won’t start.

george Baldock being in a Greek player was news that passed me by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Mercurial as he may be that type of $hite is pure red flag stuff.

Sling your hook mate (if that's what's going on)

Ah, I completely missed the Euros bit. And even worse, I forgot the Wales game and I was there.

Maybe it isn’t but Dan McDonnell just said he opted out of doing press and there was no mitigation about a knock or being too tired (which wouldn’t be much mitigation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭McBain11

Hi lads,

I have 2 tickets spare for the Gibraltar game on Monday (block 512, row N, seats 15+16).

40 euros total for the 2 tickets.

If interested just give me a PM.

Tickets sold now.

Post edited by McBain11 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

More gossiping going on about the Irish camp. Is there any other national team with so many rumours (guaranteed) ever since I can remember. The Irish press always have to find something negative.

Is anyone interested in a player's pre match thoughts anyway? I can't think of anything less interesting than O'Dowda saying we can't lose this, or Collins saying we've learnt from our mistakes.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

That’s not really the point. Someone has to do media duties. Troy Parrott stepped into the breach. So it’s just not being a good team player. It’s strange maybe they put up a player 2 days before the game who was not being selected. This could all be an incorrect assumption by me of course.

The point is on here we go from the news that a player doesn't do a press conference (for reasons unknown) to reach the conclusion he should be out of the squad. It's the height of hysteria, led by a journalist who hasn't got a story, whose purpose can only be to turn the public against a player.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

if you think Dan McDonnell is the type of journo to intentionally dirty the rep of a player then I will make conclusions about how clued in you are from that.

dan McDonnell could cover the entire Irish international setup by himself and we wouldn’t lose a whole lot by losing every other journalist on the Irish beat. He’s far ahead of them and should be listened to on a weekly basis by anyone with an interest in the Irish international team

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd imagine loads of other countries. England we know do, but do you read the French, German or Slovakian dailys? I'd imagine not so you don't see it.

Well maybe he should actually find out the reason/story behind things (like real journalists) before vomitting up speculation. There is very little to report of interest on the Irish team before a game so he has to justify his job and generate clicks somehow I suppose.

Being listening to him for 10 years, I’m happy enough to follow him when he says something. Plenty of idle speculation around the media circus of the Irish international team. Dan is a tonic to that.

all Dan said btw was obafemi chose not to do the press conference. Anything else is an inference taken by me.

Okay. That's kind of my point that he would have little reason to mention it unless to stir up a story. In my opinion journalists shouldn't try to instigate a story like that. They should do a bit of research, but I suppose that's the environment he is working in where he feels he has to put it out there and see if it creates a interest.

If he said it/posted it as part of a news summary then it's not that bad but if it was in isolation then the agenda is more clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's already fact that obafemi is a premadonna though. So not sure what you're trying to argue/defend.

He gets paid hundreds of thousands to run around a field. He gets the honor of representing his country and one of the small duties is press conference.

He opted out of that duty with no reason given. The press are obviously going to report that.

He mentioned it in regards to Troy Parrott doing the presser. Didn’t dwell on it and most listeners wouldn’t have dwelled on it either.

I'm just saying it's better to have the truth before speculating, regardless of who it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement