Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

8600 for quote 1 is respectable with the optimisers removed.

quote 2 way too high.

No room for a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭paulbok

Go back to the crowd for the 3rd quote and see how much 2 extra panels are. If you can fit 18 of the others, you'll definitely fit at least 17 of the 430w ones, if not 18 as well. Allow €300 for the BER and your pretty much comparing like for like over the quotes.

Quote 1 is already down to 8600 without the optimisers and it includes a BER.

unlikely quote 3 will give 2 extra panels and a ber for 209 euro more.

i supose you could use quote 1 as leverage against quote 3. My personal preference would be the huawei inverter ; but note that your locked into getting a huawei battery if you go this route (it’s not a bad thing if you can get a good price; they are high performance batteries)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Im not an expert and am just contemplating getting solar myself. From what iv read on this forum i would not go with a Huawei inverter becuase it restricts you to a huawei only battery should you decide to add a battery in the future. I think huawei batteries are pricey.

Even if you dont plan on adding a battery now, economics and FIT may change. Actually common sense suggests once they have enough people feeding to the grid they will likely reduce the FIT considerably. Its enticing now but who knows in the future. Also good to get the hyrbid inveter to keep options open. Someone may correct me here if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Many thanks for the feedback from all.

I asked Quote 3 about the 2 extra panels, €300 each and a BER for €259 so then quote 1 and 3 are almost the same. It all comes down then to whether I should go with a Hyundai Inverter or not (and being locked into Hyundai batteries).

I don't have the budget or need for a battery at the moment but of course the hybrid inverter will allow that in future if desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Hi folks quick inverter question as I'm comparing two proposal quotes.

How does the Solis S5-EH1P 5Kw compare with the Solaredge HD Wave 5kw?

From what I've read the Solaredge seems the more premium product but just looking for opinions on if the Solis Inverter is any way comparable?

Post edited by jones on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Michael1927

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and am overwhelmed with the amount of details I've scrolled through so far. I am living in a rural North West area. 5 bed house, 2 adults and 3 teens. I've included my electricity usage also. We have a South and West facing roof, so ideal for Solar PV. These are the 3 quotes I've received so far. I wasn't originally planning on getting a battery but after reading through others posts, it seems I should definitely consider this. I'm keen to know what you think of these quotes and could someone PM if they have preferred installers / better options.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The battery is an interesting one. Depends a little on if you are on a smart meter & if you are on a Day/Night meter. If your not on a smart meter and you are on D/N, then I think it makes great sense to get a 5kwhr battery or bigger if you can afford it. The reason being is that (for now - and this will change) you will get "deemed export" until your forced over to a smart meter. This means you get paid the same if you export nothing and put everything into your battery, as opposed to exporting everything. You get paid the same in either scenario. So for now, makes sense to capture that energy into the battery (and still get paid for it)

The diverter is also another interesting one. I have one, and I'd buy one again - but I should call out that with cheap rate night time electricity it's actually cheaper NOT to have a diverter and export the electricity you have surplus during the day. i.e. you would never make back the investment of the diverter. Again though, even though I know it doesn't "save" me money, I like the convience of 7-8 months a year having constant hot water and I don't have to think about it.

Of the three qoutes, #1 and#2 are much to a muchness. Maybe #2 is slightly better value wise, but also if i had to pick, I'd go #2 becuase it's got more panels. When we have EV's in the driveway we'll all want as many panels as we can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Quick question, we've had a number of issues with various parts of our install. When do people typically pay the balance of their invoice, bearing in mind you lose any leverage to get things resolved once you are fully paid up.

10 weeks in and our BER is only taking place this week (I had to chase) and the paperwork was 'lost' by ESBN (so our installer says) so I'm chasing them with a PDF the installer sent me.

Don't really trust them to be honest when it comes to admin so was thinking after all the paperwork is uploaded to the grant portal although I guess paperwork could still be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

I wouldn't pay until any issues are resolved and the system is working 100%. Unless it is issues beyond their control which they can do nothing about. I had to chase my installer after 2 months to pay them because they were so busy.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Are you not removing the optimisers from quote 1? I don’t think they are needed.

You get what you pay for. Huawei battery allows charge and discharge at 5kWh. If your happy with less performance (and more import from the grid) then less expensive options are available.

Quote 2 without the eddi is good. Will come in at about 9000.

You can buy the 5kWh battery yourself for 3880 (that is including VAT) so you can save yourself 1000 euro on the battery if you think you can install it yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The technical bits are sorted so now it's down to the paperwork which they havnt been great at. I just feel if I pay and they don't upload the correct docs to the portal I will just spend more time chasing them to resolve and they won't care as they've been paid.

I wouldn't normally hold back payment but the experience to date has been well below par and certainly wouldn't recommend them given there's lots of options out there.

Tell them your holding onto a percentage of the final bill until all paperwork is finalised, I don't see why they would have an issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

What do ya mean by that exactly? That it's the full 5kw? Other 5kw batteries are not quite 5kw and instead might be 4.8kw it something like that?

A 5kw Huawei battery costs I think around 3.8k+vat to buy. 2.8k for battery and 1k for psu for it. https://midsummer.ie/buy/HuaweiSolar/LUNA2000-5KW-C0

Yet a pylontech costs about 1250+ vat. https://eu.nkon.nl/pylontech-us-5000-48-v.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwyqWkBhBMEiwAp2yUFvBDoo7Cb_PTmhrH3CS3_HQOCq_80pQz-AKudkCCREUghg9up-odBBoCz0IQAvD_BwE

What in the Huawei warrants an approx €2600 price difference for a 5kw battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Yes, I will be removing the optimisers from Quote 1 (so now €8600). The BER for Quote 3 is an additional €250 for the BER plus €600 for the extra panels (so now c. €9235).

Quote 1 now wins on price but I'm still a little hesitant/nervous about the Huawei inverter.

I’m talking about how fast you can discharge and recharge the battery. What you are talking about is called depth of discharge. Look up the difference between kW and kWh.

Huawei Vs Pylon

Warrantee 2 years Vs 10 years.

Discharge rates 5kWh Vs 2.4kWh

Depth of Discharge 100% Vs 95%

High Voltage Vs Low Voltage

IP rated for external install Vs has to be installed inside.

Maybe these additional features / higher performance are not important to you in which case of course you’re better off getting the cheapest option available.

I have a huawei 6kw inverter and 10kWh battery. I did a DIY install and I could have picked any inverter / battery combo I wanted and I went with the huawei combo over the others due to its features.

I know you’re locked into getting a huawei battery in the future if you do decide to get one; but know that if you do you will be getting a quality battery.

If this is really a deal breaker for you tell the first company your concerns and ask them to use a Solax / Sunsync / etc… it might atcually make the quote a tiny bit more expensive; as the huawei inverters are very competitively priced; it’s the battery’s that demand a premium.

Good luck with the install!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kneelo77

Hi Folks - great thread,

Just got the first quote for 5.2kWp system with 10kWh Battery:

12 x 430 Watt Panels (Jinko Tiger 430 N-Type (JKM430-54HL4R-B))

1 x Solis H1 Energy Storage 5kW Hybrid 5G Inverter with DC

2 x Tigo Optimiser Single (TS4-A-O)

2 x Dyness 5.1 kWh Battery (BX51100)

1 x Eddi with Hub

2 x FSS (Fire Safety Switch)

1 x BER

€12,354 after grants.

I thought it was pretty good (considering I'm adding a 10kWh battery) but I've no real clue and wondered what you think.

Thanks!

Drop the eddi that will save you 700. Just be happy with the .21 cent you will get for anything you export. You can have an eddi installed later if things change.

Do you know why they added the optimisers? It’s unlikely that 2 optimisers will make any difference; if a panel is significantly shaded it will remove itself from the string using its internal bypass. It’s likely they could be removed.

Ask for the quote with no battery’s to try and figure out how much they are charging for them. And post back.

I did get quoted for both with with out the battery, the difference is €1,908. There are two panels that will be shaded early morning, I guess that's why the optimisers are included. I did specicically ask for the Eddi as the end goal is to remove the electric shower, but agreed we don't need it right now and could possibly be removed.

Wow. So he’s only charging you 1908 for a 10kWh battery. So he doesn’t want you to know the price breakdown.

so if you take the 12354 minus the 1908 for the battery and also take off 650 for the eddi. Means you’re paying 9796 for 5.2kwp of solar. It’s way too much.

but the 1908 for the battery is clearly under market value for even the raw materials; so the total quote of 12354-650 for the Eddi gives 11704 for 5.2 kWp of solar and a 10kWh battery which is not outrageous. I’d say get a few more quotes.

Those optimisers are just components on your roof that might fail and require someone to get on the roof to replace them.

They will not improve your performance as the shaded panels will remove themselves from the string when shaded.

Hello there,

Can I ask for a bit of advice. The quotes I listed above had an additional cost for a battery, ranging from €2,000 to €4,800. Are Solar PV sytems installed battery ready? Can a battery be fitted at a later stage and if so, is it costly installation or a simple plug in job? Sorry if that seems a bit of a thick question.......

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What size of battery are the quotes for?

You could probably source your own for cheaper.

Yes, you can have your system battery ready. I'd be adding one straight away tbh.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

One quote is for a 5kWh (€4,800) and another for a 3kWh battery, €1,950 plus an additional one at €1,750. The general consensus seems to be get them as part of the original installation. Thanks for your help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement