Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it looks like a bust today in terms of thunderstorms for most places. Great drying and a pleasant feel with the breeze. It's a pity we could not have more days like this between now and the weekend. I would happily take this kind of weather for the rest of the Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28 degrees at Donegal Airport at 4pm

EIDL 141500Z 16013KT CAVOK 28/08 Q1017. Dewpoint just 8. Beautiful summers day up that way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

26c in Sligo today. 9c improvement on yesterday.

Mad that Dundalk got that hot. Saw it over 27c in the very North of Scotland.

As my mother said to my Dad "sure the climate change is everywhere" my Dad replied "hah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next week is looking meh to say the least but I have a feeling we won't have to wait that long for another nice spell of dryish to dry and warm to hot weather. Could be another spell final week of June or thereabouts. First week of July could be similar to next week and then another warm to hot spell, the good weather will be on and off and when it is off it should still be fairly mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I am a bit nervous Gonzo looking at the GFS charts and the positioning of the Jetstream. The other models show warmth and a chance of settling down again. Anyway, this cracking spell of weather is about to end, tomorrow evening might be interesting in Meath. I mowed the lawn today just to keep on top of things when the growth spurt comes with the rain.

P.S anyone heard from Grace or is she just sunbathing out west and taking it easy sipping cocktails in the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today's max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's crazy because mayo had the coldest temperature yesterday of 19c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: please refrain from discussing members of Boards, past or present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah make the very most of tomorrow as tomorrow is well and truly the end of this fine spell of weather and normal service resumes from the weekend but I'm hopeful the charts will show an improvement in the weather within the next week for the final week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Tonight’s ecm has 28c 850hPa over parts of southern Spain at the end of the run. Mid 40s, maybe come close to pushing their record with a slight upgrade if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Personal opinion only: No judgement, but there are some very weird people on this forum.

"I love heat and humidity" - goes on to describe how awful and sticky Dubai was. How he felt unwell from it, and had to cut short his day of sightseeing because he was wiped, but he loves it all the same...

"The Atlantic can go to sleep forever for all I care" OK, so you like continental European summer heatwaves where old people and poor people die, and winters where anyone without heating systems die?

We are at the same latitude as Irkutsk in Siberia where it's -20 in January, the Atlantic spares us from that but you still want that to stop?

Personally I like heat as much as anyone, provided I don't have to work in it, - it's one thing to go on holidays and "loooove" the 40° whilst chaffing your Stella and jumping into the pool every so often, but it's a whole other thing to live in it, particularly if you work outdoors or in a suit and tie.

I get that this is a weather forum and that extremes of weather (as far as that goes in Ireland, which isn't really extreme at all) turns some of you on, but seriously, - get a grip!

We live in one of the best environments on the planet by any metric.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

In fairness, most people on here are just looking for a bit of snow in winter, a bit of thunder and lightning the odd month, and a few nice weeks in summer to go to the beach and get some good drying weather. We're not looking for death and destruction.

It's like going onto a car forum and saying people are awful for having an interest in cars given they cause so many deaths each year...

"I love heat and humidity" - goes on to describe how awful and sticky Dubai was. How he felt unwell from it, and had to cut short his day of sightseeing because he was wiped, but he loves it all the same...

I think if you read my post correctly, I stated (in the context of the conversation going on about heat and humidity) that I liked heat and humidity up to a certain level.... That was the point of the post.

The references I made to Dubai where that I became used to the heat and humidity at the hotel and city and missed it when we came home. But that the dry extreme heat of the desert was too much for me (as it is for most people). So was pointing out that there is a limit to what I enjoy. And I clearly said my sweet spot for temperature is 30 to 32c.

Nothing weird in that lol!

And climate wise, yes Ireland has one of the best climates in the world IF you enjoy temperate and non-descript weather. i.e. A lack of proper heat, proper snow, proper storms. But this is a weather forum for weather enthusiasts. Some of us prefer continental style climates where more interesting weather occurs.

I think you've take peoples opinions the wrong way. There are many of us here who like very warm to hot summers and cold winters. We are not looking for 40C+ every single day throughout the summer with people dying from the heat and we are not looking for -20C+ every day of winter with endless blizzards either.

What we don't like is the days of 12C and drizzle that can regularly make an appearance all through winter and indeed sometimes into the summer as well. The current spell of weather was mostly enjoyable (except for the chilly easterly) and if we had this all summer we would all be very happy indeed yet temperatures havent reached 30C or more anywhere in Ireland yet this summer. Our winters are beyond a joke at this point if you like winter to actually look and feel a bit more wintry. Regular frosty weather in the winter with some snow showers at times and a few decent snow events guaranteed each winter is fairly normal winter weather in a large part of our world (north America, much of Europe and Asia), yet our winters are now so mild we are not even guaranteed one nights widespread frost per winter anymore and most winters pass snowless for a large part of Ireland year on year.

Variety in weather is wonderful and unfortunately we don't get alot of it in Ireland but when we do get it, we really enjoy it but it always seems to end so quickly and it's back to normality and chart watching searching for the next spell of nice or interesting weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was talking to someone working in a garden centre and she said many people are reporting that plants they have grown for years never blossomed this year and were dead. She said most of the plants that died were "foreign" plants and put it completely down to the very cold spell we had in December. That cold spell stood out for me because of the persistent frost we got for over a week. It was a wet frost too which made it look like it has snowed because there was so much 'rime' frost. By foreign plants she said the names suggested that they had originated in other countries e.g. Australian grasses/bushes. I remember that also happened after 2009/2010.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s the ice days that kill them. There was a few of them during that cold spell in December.

Our usual frosts are okay for them but they need to be able to defrost during the daytime and not be completely frozen.

I try to stay away from the charts during weather I enjoy as I think it takes all the joy out of it and removes that ability to live in that moment, however fleeting it may be. People seem obsessed on here with declaring a breakdown as a soon as we have a good spell.

For example, some were calling an end to this spell well over a week ago based on what the charts were saying, yet, after a couple of relatively disappointing days, we got a reprieve and have had another glorious week where I am.

Our climate isn't exactly perfect - I found last autumn particularly hard - but for the most part we are lucky, and I think when we do get good weather most of us make the absolute most of it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I think some people forget to care for them properly in winter too. I was at my brother's on Sunday and his (very expensive) tree fern is in intensive care after the winter and being left on an exposed patio in full sun.

I have a Tree Fern and a Musa Basjoo (Hardy Banana) and lots of other bits that probably don't belong here that were well wrapped up all winter and are back in great condition again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud clearing up a bit now in Killarney, nice but of sunshine getting through and the damp humidity lifting a bit.

Sticky again today. Even with a more westerly influence next week due to the unusually high sea temperatures we will have above average temperatures. As regards to some places staying fine when the charts were showing unsettled weather that is because in a convective setup showers can be hit and miss. Also as we saw yesterday thunderstorm activity can be a bust-although some places did get storms, but many places that seemed to be in line for them did not. I think with the low being more of a player this weekend a lot of places will see rain on Friday ,but after that we may go back to the hit and miss theme-looking at the current Met Eireann online forecast that seems quite possible, as they talk of scattered thunderstorms and showers over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like some development in west Dublin/Kildare as well as Wales looking at the satellite images. Not expecting anything here by the coast in south Dublin where its about 21C sunny with a light breeze ..aka summer perfection for this freckly Irishman.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Looked at bbc weather and the steering low seems to have to work hard to produce rain.

In 2006 there was a set up like this and just a few thunderstorms resulted. Mainly long dry warm spells. Even Met Eireann themselves are not promising much heavy rain here till Tuesday. 0 to 5mm. Today in Sligo might just be more flashes of lightning and a shower

Today is close to perfection for a summer's day. Currently 24c and significantly less breeze than yesterday. Crystal clear skies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

24c here in carrick on shannon but cloudy ⛅️ those storms will I'd say rapidly form

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice spread of warm temperatures today, Finner, Mullingar, Oak Park and Shannon all at 26°c at 3pm

Shannon must be nearly 20 days over 20c now.

Wev had 14mm of rain since the "breakdown". Grass still yellow. No difference. I'd say we'd need 100mm to make any difference and 10mm is the max I'd see in any of these showers.

Based off previous experience it's rare that we get several days of thunder activity in a row in the same places. We have had three good days this week. I expect tomorrow there will be more widspread showery rain about as the low moves closer. However for an unsettled week we have not done too badly. I think next week could well turn out similar to this one with some places getting a soaking while other areas may escape with not much rain at all

• Advertisement

A bunch of 26c in the north too today. Just down a tad on yesterday, but arguably today felt warmer with light winds.

Advertisement