Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

It's a statutory EU obligjation.

It's not taken from accounts and not made up by the farmer.

And as to why the power's that be here allow it to continue..

1. Enough people don't complain.

2. The figures are used for the basis of calcilulation of grant and subsidy aid required to keep rural areas vibrant.

Before we get an answer avout how they seem to be closing RI down...this has nothing to do with DG Enviro..(who are)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ok. I was a bit rash with my comment. But if you are anything like myself it's a disease. I always promise myself I will only keep a few replacements with the dairy cows but I can't let the dry cattle go. I'm back again every march picking out the calves I like and complaining every may when they go under the fence and fffing every spring when the yearling price is poor. If we only did enough to make a decent wage. I think we like a bit of misery. I would not know what to do with spare time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Great post there Bass. You’re spot on as always. 35 v 30.4 v 18 c sur it’s all the same.

my neighbours cousins girlfriend has it down to 6c at the minute. But she pays all the contractors going out the gate and doesn’t pay the coop at all so huge savings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Hasn't this argument been done to death on here at this stage, costs of production vary, profits vary based on the farms stage of development, land type, technical ability, weather, luck etc..

I've said it here before I have at least 3 close friends/ family earning over 100k in jobs and not a word about it, they don't work Sundays either.

Yes some dairy farmers have gotten greedy but the majority are just trying to make a living the same as everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Labour as a cost will be included if it paid labour. The idea that something not paid for can be included as a cost is not allowed in any business whether it a farm, pub or shop unless it's in a company structure.

Right here is where a 10cdifference in costs comes from

AGAIN I REPEAT the question asked was ''in an ownd land situation with little or no borrowings what was the cost of production''. I also added that cow numbers were below 100 and little or no kabour

That was the F@@JNG I answered.

The Teagasc figures h

That about 60% of dairy farmers had borrowing and about 40% had no borrowings and that it was medium to longer term loans Average borrowings was 127k assuming 10 years average on loans left( and it's probably lower) it's 3.3c/ L

30 acres rented @350/ acres 2.2c/ L

Heavily stocked system V the farmer stocked at around derogation limit.l of 170 kgs/ HA would it need an extra 10T Fertilizer @850/ ton jast year 1.8c/ L

Ration 250 kgs extra @430/ ton is 2c/L

Minimum paid labour would shave another 1.5c/ L off the the average costs.

Having the ability to maximize the value of culls maybe 250-300/ head on 17 cows 1c/ L

There is 2-3 lads around locally running 80-100 cows on 200 acres with integrated beef spreading fixed machinery, phone, ESB exc at a 70/30 spread probably saves 1-3c/ L.

Dunedin just because you cannot do the figures or access a system different to your own is not a reason to think that nobody else can. So shove your neighbor cousins GF where the sun don't shine and off back to your suckler's.

I am not sneering at accountancy. Rather I am simply pointing out an accountant jobs is to do my accounts with the figures I present not tell me how to run my farm.

KG dairy farmers work hard. However many have been lead down the path of expansion and intensive systems with serious cost systems without the costing of marginal milk.

It's the same as beef. If I followed the Teagasc, FJ or Newford farm I be trying to slaughter 70-80 cattle @20 months if age reseeding, feeding ration during the winter taking 3 cuts of silage etc for maybe 2-3k extra a year and the Newford farm cannot even make a profit to pay either land rental or the labour cost involved

I posted on F&F about a lad who took over the his parents farm and is using targeted slow growth and TAM over the next few cycles of CAP to get to 80-100 cows from about 70. He has retained the beef system they had and a few lads here taught he was @ slavery because he was not targeting to upgrade his parlour from I think it's in the 10-12 unit range at present

Expansion and intensivisation adds cost to any system. With dairy farming the pay back period seems to be longer than many previously considered it would be and costs like labour and other inputs are hitting the bottom line.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Your the Eddie Hobbs of boards talking s**te and giving figures that you aren't properly costing, maintance and upkeep costs alone on any actual functioning dairy farm would be a couple of cents a litre per year, you reckon it's in the below one cent range with your examples, and don't start rambling about your lads using tams to counteract this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

The problem with the stand still, no reinvestment policy is it will only ever be a "one man band" operation that will end with the present generation. No possibility of inter generational transfer.

That's fine if you are happy with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It's a bit like motoring.you can buy a car and if we ll say that you don't travel to work and you lead a curtailed lifestyle that car will last many years at little cost.however eventually that car will have to be replaced and the bigger the upgrade the bigger the cost.on the other hand if you are working hard and living life to the full you will have higher costs but you will have the turnover to keep things fresh.as regards being blinded by expansion I ve been giving that some thought lately in terms of stocking rate and its more of a lifestyle choice than financial. If you take a step back it may not show this year or next but over time your income will be reduced. Really what you are suggesting is what's called "milking your assets"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Sucession issues and having to have 20-30k to go to the older generation yearly even though they aren't involved in the operation seems to be a afterthought too, have half the farm in my name here, but 2k a month is given to the father for the privilege of farming the other half and he's drawing down 20k worth of a sfp aswell as solely income puts noting into the farm financially, helps out maybe 20 hours a week for half the year and is on holidays the rest/driving lorries....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭roosterman71

He has it sussed. More power to him! I've none of the farm in my name and I do all the work, albeit a very part time enterprise. The father draws all the payments, the pension and gets all the income from the place. Pays all the bills then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

It's obvious he's read the manual but he has no idea how the practical will work ...... and I think that's putting it lightly

Regarding milking your assets its spot on but on a dairy farm you still get caught for wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Succession is the biggest disaster on most farms around the country . Even progressive lads fall at this hurdle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lakelands back another cent to 37 ,

What will Kerry drop ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

A lad with a few bullocks that wouldnt spend christmas. And on boards during his office hours telling dairy lads how to milk cows. Yere bigger eegits for replying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ah steady on.i bet you we could come with a scenario where you could make 1 k profit on a bullock but doing it in practice could be very different. To be honest it's always a drystock fella that knows how much profit .I have never been told by another milking fella

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Every business has to know its costs. Farming no different. Can’t dismiss the efforts of those who go to the bother of knowing their costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭older by the day

I find bass very enjoyable. Dry stock is a tough business. I don't know because I ring the co-op for fert and feed ect. and charge it down.

To be honest you would need to a right cute whore to make a living off beef farming.

Only for the milk most mixed farmers would have the place let

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

I agree 100%. Only for the milk here I'd plough it and work full time off farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I enjoy Bass, but I get that from most non dairy farmers thay wer rolling on it. I'd love to know where its coming from

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Teagasc, IFJ, DAFM, Bord Bia, National Dairy Council, etc.

To varying degrees, they all claim that dairy farmers are (1) geniuses, (2) making a fortune.

I don't think it's a useful narrative for anyone, including the dairy farmers, but all these organisations have a vested interest in bigging-up the dairy industry. They pat the dairy farmer on the head rather than give him/her their fair share for the effort and investment involved.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Arrabawn down 1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

"AGAIN I REPEAT the question asked was ''in an ownd land situation with little or no borrowings what was the cost of production''. I also added that cow numbers were below 100 and little or no kabour"

From Bass's post above, I run such a system, pretty low cost. Any way I work it, even hypothetically by increasing litres on the calculator for dilution while adding in the associated costs, my COP is around 30c.

18c COP is baloney.

I cannot do the figures because simply I am not in dairy no more so than your good self. Your figures (18c) have been widely refuted by those that are in the system and in my world, I tend to listen to those that are better placed to answer than myself.

I will certainly go back to my sucklers and maybe you should go back to your Friesian bullocks as that is what we both know and understand.

as for the neighbours girlfriend, I heard last night that they split up…..

Anyways, happy Friday Bass and hope the world is treating you well today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

joke shop. the text was pathetic. God help the board members when they are out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Farmers will bow down in front of them, the same as they’ve always done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄….decided by the board …Yeadh right ….seems our ambition is to be just a shade above everyone else …heard comments sure Lakeland and Kerry are 37/38 we can’t be that far ahead of them …..that should be it now as regards cuts …time now to sort out what we’re been quoted for meal fertilise etc

• Advertisement

imagine telling the arrabawn rep that you've decided to pay x amount for fertilizer

Advertisement