Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Speculating on here shouldn’t happen? It’s a discussion forum here so I think asking for non speculation is perfect world stuff.

Dan wasn’t speculating. He said that obafemi opted out of doing a press conference and no reason wasn’t given for the late change. That’s the truth. That’s all he said. If you think he shouldn’t even say that without knowing exactly why…again I think that’s a bit much. His employers are newstalk and the Irish indo, he’s not doing PR for FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm just pointing out the revelation that Obafemi didn't appear for a press conference led to the insinuation that he was sulking and then that he should get lost.

I'm not saying what can or can't be discussed, but rather giving my opinion.

It's also my opinion that these journalists covering international games with Ireland are always looking for a way to undermine the preparations and/or the manager.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭McFly85

A storm in a teacup. He doesn’t do a presser, who cares? It’s not some wider conspiracy of anything.

Dan is a good journalist, probably asked for a reason and didn’t get one so just reported as such. Don’t think there’s anything deeper to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Journalists covering the games are reporting the news from the squad.. It is literally what they are there for. Should they only report positive news stories?

Agree completely. They have it completely the wrong way around this time.

Managed to get tickets when they were announced for €80 for the 2 games which is reasonable I think, and I get the FAI doing it in this instance because a Monday night game against Gibraltar is a tough sell.

I suppose the remaining tickets are the most expensive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

@Did you smash it "george Baldock being in a Greek player was news that passed me by"

This typo made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

From ticketmaster it's mostly premium tickets left with a few scattered in the upper tier and if what's on ticketmaster is all that's left for both matches there's over 50k sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I'm just hearing that Father Ted line now ". . . . . the Greeks. They invented gayness"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,435 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it's a bit daft seeing as it specifies European qualifiers.

Any away competitive win is as valuable in any qualifying tournament.

As others have pointed out Ireland have beaten Wales and Austria recently enough on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think winning tomorrow would be similar to getting that win in Austria. I know if we want to have any chance of qualifying we really need to win but I think a draw would be a decent result. I guess a lot depends on how the match is going itself. Will be at a festival for the weekend so going to miss it unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, in terms of regular expectation, a draw away to Greece is a decent result. It's only since we need to very actively upset the odds to have a chance at qualifying that puts more pressure on getting a win. Need at least 1 away win from the Greece and Netherlands games (and can't lose either), and this one is probably the more likely to find that - but tbh only marginally. Away to the Netherlands we might actually have more space on the break, whereas Greece will likely stay pretty compact.

Why can't we draw with Netherlands and Greece away and beat the at home?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

As expected Liam Scales and Jack Taylor drop out for the match day squad.

Think it could be:

..............................Bazunu

.................Collins - Egan - O'Shea

Doherty - Molumby - Cullen - McClean

.......................Knight - Johnston

............................Ferguson

Think Johnston will replace Ogbene from how we lined up in the French game. Similar he could start Smallbone instead of Johnston or get very adventurous and start Smallbone and Johnston as the two behind Ferguson.

Think it's gonna be a toss up between O'Dowda and McClean of whose fitter to start but think O'Dowda coming off the bench and running at players late in the game would be better. Especially when Ferguson might not last the full game there's no point bringing McClean on who'll try get crosses in when Ferguson isn't there.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don’t get beat

That should leave it close enough, where you may get a weird bounce in other results.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I don't think that's enough if we want to qualify. I'm not saying that we should be beating Greece, I think both us and Greece are at a very similar standard, but we need to beat them to have any realistic chance of qualifying.

Huge game for Kenny and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If we win we are in with a good chance of going through.

Holland look very soft.

But we do need to win, and there is no reason why we cannot.

A draw leaves us struggling.

Holland look very soft.

That may be the case but under Kenny Ireland have been frustratingly inconsistent.

So it really doesn't matter how soft anyone else is.

I think Ireland will fail to make any real push for qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think if Ireland lose tonight Kenny will find it hard to stay on past Euros

A draw would be a good result tonight. Greece may be lower seeded but by so little that it makes no difference really.

Mercifully the heat shouldn’t be an issue being late in the evening and the team having a good amount of prep in warm weather.

I expect Greece to dominate the ball while we try to exploit space behind their fullbacks. A tight game, maybe 1-1 but I think we are in with a chance of nicking it.

A loss is a disaster for Kenny I feel. By no means should he be expected to qualify from this group but it will be yet another campaign that’s over before it’s really begun.

A win also gives you leeway too that if Holland drop points to Greece they'll have to make up the points against us.

Think if they lose tonight he'll be doing well to see the campaign out. That September would be his last games if we don't get a result against Holland. FAI had clauses in his contract to allow them change managers post Nations League and likely could have clauses which allow them part ways mid campaign if things aren't going the way they like.

I don’t see any point in cutting him loose mid campaign unless the FAI know who they want to replace him straight away. They can decide to give him the rest of this campaign while they take their time to find a replacement.

We don’t have the quality to make a realistic push for a WC qualification so I would like any replacement to be given the same opportunity Kenny was given - Use the WC qualifiers to build his team with the ultimate goal being qualification for euro 2028.

Once it’s over you should be let go. No point having a dead man walking saying empty things to the squad, holding empty training sessions, etc. The moment the decision is made that the Kenny project is not continuing is the moment he should be let go.

I would say it’s worse to rush into another appointment, especially if there’s no clause allowing the FAI to unilaterally break the contract mid campaign and have to pay him the full amount anyway.

The FAI can’t afford to be reactionary in recruitment - they simply don’t have the money to be sacking managers regularly.

I don't know because at the same time if John O'Shea was willing to step in for Octobers game it also gives you a look at him since he could be a potential candidate in a couple of years. Gives him a couple of games till the new manager takes over.

If the FAI have their ducks in a row they should have a list of potential candidates (chances are that list is depressing) that are possible replacements which might make any changes mid campaign if possible quick. Though will likely depend on whether they included clauses which allow them a get out mid campaign. Which any decent FA in their position likely should but it is the FAI after all.

If the FA let Carsley go after the Euros which there's a possibility they will going by reports last season then Kenny's goose could well be plucked if we lose tonight come September. Whether Carsley should be in the mix is another thing cause with the talent at his disposal his U21s team hasn't really impressed. But he'll tick two boxes which fit the FAIs criteria, cheap and unemployed.

tbf im more worried about tonight than the dutch games. we are comfortable against "better" teams/teams who want to dominate the ball. its games against those close to us ability wise where we struggle

Exactly

Inconsistent

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

USA 2026 - 16 teams to qualify from UEFA -

The qualifying group stage will feature twelve groups of four or five teams. The winner of each group will qualify for the World Cup finals, while the second-placed teams will either qualify directly or participate in play-off matches

That does not sound easy either ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Have to drive up to Donegal this evening unfortunately, will this be on radio? Can't seem to find it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

imagine newstalk will have it?

The only positive about the new changes UEFA brought in are if you get drawn in a group of four you won't start your qualifying campaign till September. So gives you March and June to play friendlies.

Though unless you win your Nations League group otherwise you'll be involved in their new promotion and relegation play offs in March. But you'll still have June I think to organize a good training camp if your qualifiers don't start till September. Which would be good since the Nations League has gotten more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This Greek fella gives insight into the Greek team

His knowledge on Ireland seems limited, so I take his prediction of Greece 1 - Ireland 0 with a pinch of salt. As he was basing it on basically the Ireland v France match.

But Greece (according to him) seem to have quality strikers that are good at club level but have not caught fire at international level yet.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Looks like they're trying to keep the big teams apart to have cleaner groups with one powerhouse and then three/four minnows.

Well if the strikers have a decent shot from distance they stand a chance of scoring tonight 😂

Think this has 1-1 written all over it though hoping for a 2-1 with goals from John Egan and Mikey Johnston to get his first Ireland goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭AhhHere

I think we'll either win 1-1 or lose 1-1. We certainly won't draw 1-1.

I think we can be agreed on wanting the team to get the win tonight, and a really positive draw at a minimum (i.e. an excellent performance).

But this is why you would have a caretaker manager imo. If we lose (and no reason we should, really, there has been progress to get to this point) then Kenny is dead and should be removed so the whole setup can be assessed without him there. In football once it is over everyone knows it, and there is no point beating it to death. John O'Shea would be fine.

Games aren't being shown live but it's an U21s debut for Abankwah, Carty, and Okoflex who was also released by West Ham today along with Odubeko.

I have a feeling he'll go with:

Bazunu

O'Shea

Egan

Collins

O'Dowda

Molumby

Cullen

Knight

Doherty

Ferguson

Idah

I think he'll definitely partner Ferguson with another striker as opposed to starting Johnston for example. Idah I have a hunch for, as Kenny seems to really rate him. If not, then it will be Obafemi.

I think a defeat tonight will be the beginning of the end for Kenny, as it would be the third consecutive campaign where we had lost the opening two games, and that may just ratchet up the pressure on him too much.

I reckon, having seen the Dutch a few times recently, that a draw wouldn't be a terrible result as I think ourselves and possibly Greece could take something from the Dutch. That would mean a 4-point haul from Greece might be enough for us. So tonight is "must-not-lose" as opposed to must win"

Ultimately though I'm hoping that tonight will be a coming-of-age performance for the team and we can get a win. These are as likely a group of young players and staff as I can remember us having, and to see their work come to fruition with a win tonight would be something else.

• Advertisement

I will smash the telly if there is shot from distance scored, anything but that.

Amazed there is not more a buzz and build up about this game, massive one for Kenny and Ireland. Maybe the Irish fans and media in general are nervous?

As far as I am concerned this is it - only Coleman missing. But Ireland have Ferguson. If ever there was a fella that is suited to counter attack football with pace and an eye for goal that is the fella to have.

I would be happy with an auld dull enough game - but with Ireland showing some sort of control. Then when they get the chance on the break go for it. The classic 1-0 away performance.

Obafemi not doing the press conference might hint at him not starting. A front two of Idah and Ferguson I wouldn't mind but couldn't see both playing the 90s. They're the two players that are most similar and most likely you'd want to be replacing one for the other which leaves me to think he won't start both.

I heard the same contributor on another podcast, someone I know is involved in, last week, in which he gave a more detailed insight into Greece. Worth a listen if you want more info on them and how they will potentially line up.

Whoever did the editing on the intro and outro, gets top marks!

1-1 at half time in the U21s match. Ukraine penalty early in the first half and Andrew Moran leveled it with the last kick of the first half. Moran has supposedly been good the first half and tested the keeper a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I would absolutely take a draw tonight. Majority of the squad havent played in 5 weeks, rest of the squad who were involved didnt really get any game time. Need a decent performance but we have no right to think we are better than Greece, its at best a 50-50 game if not Greece clear favourites going by the bookies.

• Advertisement

Very happy with this. Fingers crossed it'll result in a win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Team is fine, don't get beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yep I don’t get this “best of luck to him” carry on. We’re spending money and time and energy helping to develop these characters at underage levels and then they feck off. I think the FAI should stop using English born players at underage level, just play our homegrown players and maybe some who come from the 6 counties or who may qualify from countries other than England.

The problem is with the English born players there’s such a huge advantage in terms of earning power that the pull is too strong. Jack Grealish for example probably wouldn’t have got a 100 million move to Man City if he went on to be an Irish international.

It’s their call and I don’t blame them but we should forget about them. When an English born player comes of age and then says he wants to declare for Ireland, great they’re most welcome but forget about playing them in under age teams. Give the time and opportunities to those less likely to jump ship.

Surprised he's dropped Knight but Smallbone deserves it. Surprised a little with the Ferguson and Idah pairing only for the fact that both players are the most similar in style and neither will likely see out the 90mins. I like the team and also good to see Lenihan get a start. Another who likely deserves his start even if O'Shea hadn't missed so much. Has had a good season and was good when he played last summer in the NL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement