Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I swear some posters in this forum care more about box office reports and projections than studio executives 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think fans of franchises now feel that if the films dont meet their exact list of requirements then they should crash and burn. So many youtubers seem to be flourish with such attitudes. As to the flash that probably has joined the woke and anti work brigade together in their hatred of the carryon of Ezra Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Incredible Hulk movie rights have reverted back to Marvel this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, that's a franchise that has somewhat disintegrated its goodwill by now though? I'll still bat for Prometheus, but we've had 6 movies with only 2 being widely lauded, one a bit of a "if you squint it's good", with the back three generally derided.

So while I think the choice of director turned my head a little, there won't be the same kind of eyeballs on it like all these blockbusters, attracting this tedious negative energy of late. Threads here have just got a chore to read 'cos of some folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A few years ago I'd have loved an adaptation of one of the better Hulk storylines, but I've a distinct feeling of "that ship has sailed" now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is exactly it. A major issue with franchises is that if they even remotely try to move away from what fans expect , it’s chaos. The fans will say something on the lines of “we want different stories etc” but they don’t really, they just want the exact narrative they expected to go as expected. It’s why marvel worked so well. Every marvel movie is reasonably predictable and people get copy and paste works, with the added familiarity in most marvel movies.

Eternals made over 400 million in a covid year. Marvel could have a movie called turd v giant douche and it would do a couple of hundred million.

That doesn’t mean they are all bad movies BTW, but there is the same basic ingredients used over and over again with just minor tweaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The next Captain America will likely set up what way they'll be going with Hulk. The Leader has already been announced for it, and Ross is in it too which could be a lead-in for Red Hulk.

Thor Ragnarok took so many elements of Planet Hulk, and also means the idea behind World War Hulk doesn't remotely fit now. CA: Brave New World will really tell us what's happening next for Hulk I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

any idea who will be cast as Hulk? Ruffalo said he's still surprised he's doing it.

""I don’t know! I’m always surprised that I’m still here. I mean, me and Ed Norton joke that the Hulk is like our generation’s Hamlet — we’re all going to get a shot at it. I keep waiting for the next version of it. I mean, I’ll probably do it as long as they’ll have me, if people are interested, and I can bring something that’s interesting to me to it, and interesting to the fans. But I have no idea.""

https://movieweb.com/mark-ruffalo-would-be-a-67-year-old-hulk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I see everyone is willfully ignoring the events of She-Hulk. 🤐

All I want to know is when the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferringo stuff is coming to Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I use to watch the original series back in the day, but have no idea if the show would be any use now. Has anyone here watched it recently?

• Advertisement

Not to derail a Marvel thread, but "if you squint its good" referring to which Alien movie? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In my case probably because I never finished it. A very polarising show, and it baffled me that with a series with such a defintive identity in humour, would fail to write an actual sitcom as badly as it did.

Alien 3? Never actually seen the "assembly" cut that's supposedly more what David Fincher had in mind, but I think it's a film that requires watching beyond the flaws. Not least, I think if it hasn't killed off Newt and Hicks off screen so dismissively it might have had a stronger reputation from the get go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching Legends ahead of Secret Invasion because I remembered seeing comments about fury being a skrull so was trying to see where that was said. But apart from Spider-Man Far From Home it wasn't anywhere else.

Alien 3 was the one I was hoping you are talking about! It's a pity it was Finchers first movie. If it had been his 3rd or 4th even, I think he'd have had more clout to do it the way he wanted it. Still an interesting movie.

And yes, those off-screen deaths were particularly harsh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thats a bit churlish, you should be more wondering how thin the content is here, I looked yesterday to find a thread on the new Wes Anderson film Asteroid City , and while I think there was one , its a bit like Google if you have to search back more than 2 tab you're losing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ll be the first to acknowledge this is a relatively quiet forum, but not really sure I’d expect a thread for a Wes Anderson film to be particularly busy before it has even been released :)

And it was always thus. Blockbusters get more traction and eyeballs than small indie movies and doesn't matter if it's Boards, letterboxd or wherever. Nothing especially new or remarkable that popular trumps art. It's regrettable, but it isn't additive to the forum for blockbuster threads to just be a constant stream of negativity either. Box office projections and "is the MCU dead yet?" ain't gonna relight discussion.

In any case, Boards film forum is "thin" because overall user numbers are down across the site, with niche fora experiencing a more exponential decrease as you go from, say, Current Affairs down to Creative Writing. Film sits somewhere in the middle, still active but obviously quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You somewhat proved your own case with your comment on Eternals. That was Marvel moving slightly away from the formula and it received negative fan response.

Similarly, Thor L&T moved away from the formula by taking comedy beyond what was done before and Quantumania with the comedy and taking Ant-man away from the real world grounding of the first two movies.

All 3 movies had other issues but their common thread is pushing beyond the MCU formula.

The consisten complaint is that the MCU hamstring directors and writers but time and time again when they don't it leads to fan backlash.

While the obvious rejoinder to that is Guardians trilogy: a set of movies broadly hands off with James Gunn a proven, imaginative talent before he even worked with the MCU (more than that, borderline anarchic given his work includes Super or Slither).

It helped the guy, with his Troma sensibilities, knew how to work the material and his own instincts into something off-centre from the usual MCU fare, but one that audiences loved. Letting loose only works as an approach if the creative force has a modicum of form in the field; with the best will in the world Chloe Zhao wasn't ever that person. You might as well ask, I dunno, Wes Anderson to direct a tentpole blockbuster - there's just no genetic link.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Jonathan Majors' trial for domestic violence due to go ahead early August.

I'd say Marvel are probably delighted there's a writers strike at the minute. More time to wait for the verdict before deciding whether to recast Kang or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,065 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ben Affleck Daredevil rumoured for Deadpool 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anyone know if that reboot of the X-Men cartoon is still going ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The cast are currently working on the second season. Think the first is set fo release this winter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is anyone else watching secret invasion? I’m really enjoying it. The mcu is at its best when it’s at its simplistic.

It's okay. Verging into being really good at times, particularly when Nick Fury is given the time to sit down and talk to others. His conversations with Sonya, Talos on the train and Rhodey were all terrific and have been the highlights so far.

The show has promise, but also like other MCU shows it has the potential to turn into a needless CGI-fest conclusion. If they can keep it more spy-thriller-can'ttrustanyone for as long as possible, it could be one of the best shows they've done.

The Jonathan Majors problem refusing to disappear: this time via a Rolling Stone investigation into Majors' past relationships; accusations Majors still denies through his representation. At some point Disney might want to pull the trigger here.

During this three-month investigation, Rolling Stone spoke with more than 40 people who have known Majors during his time in graduate school, his Hollywood career, and his romantic relationships. Many describe Majors as being a complicated, unpredictable, and sometimes violent man, who can switch from charming to cold in a flash. (All of the sources for this article requested anonymity, citing fear of career repercussions and personal retribution from Majors. Some claim they were prohibited from speaking. “My only response can be that I am silenced by an NDA he had me sign,” says one person who worked with Majors.) 

Their stories suggest a pattern of alleged physical, mental, and emotional abuse that dates back a decade to Majors’ time at Yale’s David Geffen School of Drama — where he was involved in physical altercations — and continued to the sets of his movies and TV shows, where production members raised concerns over his treatment of crew. 

I've only seen the first episode but I wasn't impressed; maybe it's cos I found what seemed suspiciously like London doubling up as Moscow constantly distracting lol 😂 but something about the execution didn't gel with me. If you took a shot ever time someone opined Fury had "changed", you'd poison your liver in minutes. Yet at no point did the episode show any difference, just Jackson kinda ambling around the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Secret invasion seems a very odd show. The timing of it doesn't help it being set in Russia but also the Americans come out as very unlikeable, being annoyed at being questioned on a terrorist attack with of their agents present.

Also is Emilia Clarke ill ? she looks quite unwell I don't think that is a deliberate character choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sounds like creed 3 was the perfect role for him

• Advertisement

Might have to do with how she had those 2 brain aneurysms? No idea if that'd affect ones appearance but I did also notice now gaunt and unwell she looked.

Advertisement