Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry tanker not sucking properly

Options
  • 19-04-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi. I just bought a second hand 2000 gallon tanker. It takes around 6-7 minutes to fill. There is a small bit of air getting in were the hose is attached but nothing major. Also I noticed on the front of the tanker were the secondary shut off valve is,the dish were the ball is was half full of dirty water. Also is that ball ment to move when the tanker is sucking
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

It will take a while go fill 2000 gallons. Sucking air will slow it up a fair bit. The ball is a safety device that should float up on slurry and block of Vacuum so slurry will not get sucked into pump.
    If ur slurry is thick it will take longer to fill . If ur tank is nearing empty it has higher to lift so again slower to fill. But the air is a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Our 1350 tanker takes just over 3 minutes to fill so 6-7 minutes for 2000 gallons doesn't sound too far wrong. If I hear air escaping where the hose meets the tanker I seal it with wet mud (not sh1t! :p) from the tractor or tanker tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

The only thing I have noticed is that ball in the front dish dose not move at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nellyg

Matty6270 wrote: »
    the dish were the ball is was half full of dirty water.

Anybody know how full should this dish be? Just enough to let the ball float or half full?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

Oh so should that bowl have water in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Matty6270 wrote: »
    Hi. I just bought a second hand 2000 gallon tanker. It takes around 6-7 minutes to fill. There is a small bit of air getting in were the hose is attached but nothing major. Also I noticed on the front of the tanker were the secondary shut off valve is,the dish were the ball is was half full of dirty water. Also is that ball ment to move when the tanker is sucking
    Thanks

we have a 2300 hispec in the yard bought new in 2009. At new tractor revved out it would fill a load of water in 3.5 minutes, a load of slurry in 5, thick slurry longer. We dont push it that hard anymore though.
    Any small bit of air will slow it .
    I believe the dish at the front is a water trap/slurry trap. If the ball on top of the tank is slow to seal when the load is full this trap catches the slurry before its got a chance to go through the pump. The ball doesnt move as the trap isnt full.
    Empty it.
    One other thing which could slow you is if you are sucking th ebottom of the . 6/7 minutes isnt bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Would 6 and a half minutes be ok to fill a 2000 gallon tanker? It’s about 20 year old or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

No, it shouldn't have water in it. Is there a tap underneath to empty it? Is the ball floating on the water? Other than that, there's no need for it to be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Seems very long. I've a 2008 2000g Abbey and it fills in a shade over 3 minutes usually. The pumps also aren't recommended to be on too long. I've 8 minutes in my head for that recommendation but that could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Could be worth changing the black pipes at the front of the tank, attaching the vaccum pump & tank.seen one failing, you wouldn't know from looking at it.closing in inside, causing pump to labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Check that the gate valve at the fill point is fully opening. You just just be able to see the very bottom of the gate when you look in with it fully open. Slurry and silage gets compacted in the housing over time, and prevents the gate from lifting high enough. You only need to undo the 6 hex bolts, with an allen key, and lift the top off. Hoke out the compacted dirt with an old screwdriver or something.

Advertisement