Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps SAR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

How did faith work out for the extra hull for the NS? Hell how did the attempt to get the CASAs work out, or the extra PC12 that was on offer?

In an ideal or even semi normal attitude to defence I’d say buy 3 Falcons, use one for government needs and everything else, and have 2 for top cover and support for other duties. But that’s not the situation we have with Irish defence is it? The reality is we are under strength as is and supping out training to other nations to try and reduce the shortages and only a few years ago we had issues manning the medical flight, so the idea of rapidly scaling up to support a Top Cover within 5 years isn’t likely. Certainly not with the abject failure to address any of the retention issues already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The detailed contract talks that will be now held between the state and Bristow. Will that be about aircraft type and rates for extra no core work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I strongly believe we'd have a better chance of attracting more recruits if we had more equipment (rather than waiting till we have the people to get the kit.

To me it goes hand in hand, given the lead times for most equipment procurement we have the time to scale the people up, but buying the equipment and hoping the powers that be figure out that more people are needed hasn’t worked out for us so far?

I just believe it works. In the 80s, when the NS was building its largest ship that would carry helicopters, they mentioned in every article how they needed an extra 100 staff to crew it. By the time it was delivered, the crew was there.

Here's a pic of a ship/tank/aircraft? Want to work with it? Join now and you might be one of the lucky ones. (due 2025)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

"Build it and they will come!"

I taught the existing CHC staff would transfer straight over to Bristow simlar to wjat happened with the Gas Networks contract when it changed. But it appers jobs are not guaranted under this type of contract. Presume that There will be a deal done with existing staff as there cant be that many SAR trained crew around the world not working

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's an odd interpretation of the regulations in that article. I believe the description that the 'business or part of the business must be being sold' for TUPE to apply is wrong.

I have sat on assessment panels for public tenders for services down the years and a change of contractor to deliver the same or similar service would always require TUPE accommodation of existing staff.

And such transfers of service under public sector contracts would happen by the tens of thousands, all over Europe, every year. So it's a well worn path.

If Bristow find a more efficient model to deliver the same service, then they can institute redundancies after they take over, but those redundancies would be calculated on the duration of pre-existing service with CHC.

I suppouse time will tell. If Bristow change the type of aircraft they will use. How will that work for training to ensure there is no gap in service when they take over. Would the crews have to get trained on the new aircraft before bristow take over the contract in 18 months

• Advertisement

Hard to blame them. A tendering process should be silent, and there should be no public discussion of proposals once the tender process opens, until it is complete.

That's the norm for public procurement.

It's almost routine now to see a high court challenge to large public contracts by the runner-up. And so the loser ultimately is the taxpayer, who has to defend all of them.

There needs to be some sort of independent review body, like the Labour Court but for procurement, where a panel is assembled of expert practitioners and these things can be adjudicated without filling the high court lists.

I presume this will need to be sorted quick as it will take bristow the full 18 months to get set up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not good for the morale of the existing crews. I do hope that it's completed in a swift manner and doesn't become fractious.

You would think the Unions would be able to find out very quickly from the state the status of the contracts weather all the crews will transfer to a new operator. There should be no guessing about it.

It’s not just limited to us, you only have to look at pretty much any defence contract particularly in the US to see such legal action after a tender no matter what. I’m sure if we were handing out any big contracts for non domestic procurement we would see the same.

This type of reaction might make the DoD think harder about staffing SAR with contractors over Irish Air Corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Bristow operate both S-92's and AW189's for HMCG...

I feel this is all usual contract changeover garbage.... there will be a change in conditions or pay by Bristow, so it will be on the employees to decide whether they want to sign up or not (i.e. no guarantee they will then).

Bristow operate S-92's for HMCG, so unless there is an issue with acquisition of the S-92's from CHC (who may want them elsewhere or price cannot be agreed), I don't see them going elsewhere, unless Bristow have a larger fleet rotation plan where AW-189's could appear.

• Advertisement

Bristow this year are also introducing a fleet of AW139s to there UK SAR contract

Interesting, because they got rid of the initial AW139's in favour of the 189's... I wonder where they'll go to

DoD don't contract SAR, DoT does.

And I'm firmly of the opinion that's how it should stay. It's a civil aviation service, not a military task.

I've had this row with many before and what it comes down to for me, is that if a crew member leaves a private contractor, they can replace her quickly from a global market. If a pilot officer, or enlisted winchman working SAR leaves the Air Corps, there aren't replacements waiting in the wings and those replacements need to spend several years becoming military pilots first.

With the recruitment and retention crisis, the risk to nationwide SAR is too great by making it a military, or even partially military service.

The contracts are lucrative but once this is settled, it will be another 13 years before it's at issue again, all other service matters being equal.

Well maybe it should and as the setup stands SAR offers Aer Corp pilots a gainful career progression path when they decide to depart from IAC. Developing those skills in IAC is mutually beneficial to both parties and if you look at it in one way it's better that it be under the civil umbrella where it's a commercial entity.

You do remember how things ended the last time the AC was tasked to do SAR without the resources/people/capabilities needed to provide such a 24/7 service? Also I’m fairly sure the AC pilots don’t have too much issue currently moving from the AC to the private sector as is.

Indeed they don't and when they do leave, it's at least an even chance that they'll be looking for lucrative opportunities overseas, at least for a spell.

Aer Corps is a 9-5 job anyway... be a nightmare if your boat capsized at 1645 on a Friday... the boys be in the pub at that stage

Is that supposed to be a joke?

GASU 24/7/365 flown by Air Corps pilots operating from Casement Aerodrome

Emergency Aeromedical Service going since 2012 from Athlone, definitely not 9-5 either.

I know it wasnt clear if it was the 139 or 189 the air corps wanted to use for east coast sar but i am sure if Bristow end up using the AW189 at all the bases or even just Dublin, Mr Craughwell well have something to say considering he said in the senate the air corps where told neither where suitable.

• Advertisement

I am sure during the 40 years of Air Corps SAR the Marine Community that the air corps came to the rescue in condtions that they should not have launched in the 1st place think different

Advertisement