Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think that this brand, Atelier Wen, might have been mentioned on here previously? I think it was maybe @Thirdfox when discussing Chinese efforts at higher quality watchmaking. Anyway I follow HKed, him of the famous 1963 and Bund homage pieces. He received his long ordered Atelier Wen perception today and it's certainly a very eye-catching piece.

It's an awful lot of watch and of watchmaking nous for €2700. I know there's the "but it's chinesium" worry, but? I honestly reckon I'd rather buy one of these than an Órdain or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You see, I know why it should be. That it's grabbing too many nods from other Brands. I mean the Genta rip off is all on show 😉 but the blue in particular just grabs me. It really is an interesting piece and I'd buy one 2nd hand. There is very likely a big drop on their secondary values.

I think looking at similar microbrands that if I was in the market? I'd consider it. Despite knowing exactly why I shouldn't like it.

It really is an interesting piece and I'd buy one 2nd hand. There is very likely a big drop on their secondary values.

I am very surprised to see that the few of these I could find for sale, granted all on Chrono24. Are all priced well above the retail price. Surprising to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I had to give it a good home, thanks @Darwin for the sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@The Floyd p Ah fantastic, thanks again - enjoy and well wear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Put my Moon watch wannabe on a black nylon strap. More breathable for the summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Liking the Christopher Ward, they are our competition😁 based just down the road in Maidenhead. Make some nice watches and good value considering there also making an in house movement.

Speaking of in house movements, one of the results on the Witschi time test 😁🇮🇪

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

I tried your tip on leaving strap to sit in off the boil water for a few minutes, with some good results.

Orange strap on top same as the blue but unworn,and still quite stiff.

Above after sitting in hot water in a small mug so curved nicely,but also felt "broken-in",was a lot more supple,even after cooling. Good tip ,thanks @H_lime.

Another tip I tried posted recently by @FitzII was to use dental cleaning tablets on a stainless steel bracelet.

I left it soaking in a glass over the weekend and came back to find it had brought up a nice shine on it. Hadn't looked dirty,but wet black gunk on my fingers when I picked it up said otherwise ! Again, cheers for that Fitzll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Glad it worked for you, dont be afraid to coil them real tight in a narrow container before hitting them with the water. My straps arrived yday also I did it straight away, as you say they're somewhat more supple after and a better fit.

Here's the spb187 on the official blue willard strap, might swap the signed stainless keeper for rubber.

From the same place I got a couple of these awesome ratcheting double push clasps, 20mm adjustment in eight positions. As a non diver I'll use the first and second only but dead useful if you're the type that finds bracelets are loose one part of the day and strangling you later when active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭H_Lime

The blue is lovely. I'd say the finishing vs cost on these is crazy

Integrated bracelets and anything vaguely nautilus shaped don't do it for me but there's no denying the quality and demand for them. Waiting lists for the second batch after Chinese NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

was out and about today and threw on my PRS200, really love this watch it’s nice and small for everyday wear. Have it since 2010. I drunkenly fell against a wall one night and scraped the bezel at the 30/40 area. Tempted to try polish the scrapes but afraid of ruining the edges of the bezel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you had it or similar, some T-Cut for car paint on a dremel polish attachment thingie(with the glass masked off)at low speed, take your time and as it's not particularly abrasive it'll be slow but should take the obviousness off the scratches.

Spoiled for choice. If one's choice is 70's disco vibes. 😁

(have the original NOS straps but sadly too long for my wristlets, so I went a bit velour, which seems fitting)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So the package arrives and I open up the box and get a shock and immediately think I have messed up and bought a fake, as at first glance i took it for new. Close up vision is unfortunately a pale reminder of it's former self.

My sparse research only found simmilar ones of late 60's to early seventies vintage, so I intiially thought it was too good to be that sort of vintage.

On removing it from it's box I was actually relieved to find defects using a loupe, the main tell being verdigris on the buckle tang and a scratch on the back casing. Plastic crystal has light scratches that were mostly polished out. The strap has some cracks.

Wind it up and it goes!

31mm in width and 5mm in depth and with the strap it weighs 25g

It was a bit of an impulse buy for myself, but I might see if my daughter wants it.

Anyone know if it can be dated or if anything can be done in terms of TLC for the strap?

I just love the elegant simplicity and the 'nothingness'; no date, no embellishments, no thickness, no weight, no batteries.

Enjoy - love the look of it - as you say elegant simplicity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now you could use saddle soap, but I've found skin moisturiser Oil of Olay etc can work wonders with old leather straps. Well it was once skin so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

@cnocbui Thats just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Just for fun.

Tokyo Flash

Much like Wibbs' suggestion of saddle soap and/or moisturizer. I second a decent conditioner E45 or Cerave.

The leather strap on my recently acquired Blancpain was in poor enough condition, but a few minutes with copious amount of moisturizer and gentle rubbing have made a massive difference(That's what she said 😉).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Wearing this in the off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

I had guessed that it was something like that but then thought that’s far too complicated.

Luckily enough no one uses their watch for the time these days.

Still a firm favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Am I the only person who starts humming Luke Kelly tunes whenever they come across one of these watches?

I've learned Digital and I've learned analogue.... Those pesky Japs can get stuffed if I'm learning a whole new way😜

Jk. On a serious note, it's always nice to see something innovative in the UX/Display area even on something as ubiquitous as a wristwatch.

My wife wanted Chris Martins G-Shock after seeing Coldplay in Manchester a few weeks ago. They can be expensive enough to source but picked one up from France that came today..very pink.. display isn't the most readable either

At least compared to my titanium. Seems ok with direct light on it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Definitely prefer B.

• Advertisement

Check out the Tokyo Flash site for more wacky ways to read the time . Customs is a killer though.

Ok I'm gonna get deleted for quoting posts so here ye go.

Advertisement