Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Warm and humid at my location with some altocumulus clouds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after some nice warm sunshine this morning gone all cloudy here in Meath and rain does not look that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The rain can't be far away now. It's a pity as it was a cracking morning with great drying in the refreshing breeze. I hope we can go back to fine weather,at least briefly, late next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh don't worry, I never expect Aug to be nice, why I decided to get married in Aug I'll never know, as a weather person I should have known better.

Of course it lashed on the day but thankfully marriage going well many years later😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

A fortnight ago when we were going through our heatwave, someone mentioned to me that we were going to due 6 weeks of this weather.

When I heard it, I thought it was too good to be through and how can anyone tell the weather 6 weeks out from now.

I'm not usually a fan of the sun but I tolerated the heatwave a few weeks ago reasonably well and I usually dread the sun but if we got 6 weeks of it, I would be happy with it all the same because it rains too much.

Now we are back to the usual summer weather. It's cloudy, wet and humid. The clouds are disgusting. They are heavy and grey and act as a reminder that the rain will never be too far away. I am anxious and disgusted and depressed that the heatwave and dry spell a fortnight night ago was our summer.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the good weather will return. The long range models continue to predict a summer dominated by high pressure to the north of the UK and Ireland. Sea temps to the west of Ireland are unprecidentally warm. Overall, bodes well for this summer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Completely agree. I have ticked a load of my summer boxes already so any good weather after this is a bonus.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That's the one thing I have noticed. Everyone is in mighty form because of the weather. They knew that they could do outdoor activities every day without worry about the weather. The unpredictability was gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it would be really silly to write off the rest of this summer based on things not looking great over the next week or so. We are only 1/6th of the way through summer 2023. I can see us getting another decent spell of weather within the next few weeks and another in July although the next decent spell is unlikely to be as prolonged as the fine spell which has come to an end today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Cool breeze and heavy cloud overhead in South Wicklow. Has tried to rain a few times now but definitely on the way. On one hand sad to see the end of the good weather, but on the other the land badly needs the rain. I've had to let my lawn scorch because I was getting worried about my well. Hopefully we get another few good weeks.

• Advertisement

It is turning fairly cool across the country now compared to what we've been used to over recent days. Donegal may get the rest of today out of it.

Looks like many places will get into the mid twenties (24c in general) in NI this afternoon thanks to still getting decent amounts of sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What setup is needed for heat with lower humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lashing rain Meath.

Warm rain. 21⁰ ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

21°c at Kerry airport at 3pm all the same. Warm rain indeed.

Continental air. We never truely get this here in Ireland as there is always some sort of a sea track. But being in a continent well away from sea will result in high temps with low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

I hope so but I'm writing off the rest of the summer because typically our summers usually turn out to be a nice week or two early on in April or May and it rains for the rest of the time, most of the time.

I think our summer is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Somehow that rain passed here with barely enough drizzle to wet the path, and then seemed to intensify afterwards! I was hoping not to have to water the garden fruit and veg again...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not overly fond of some of these long range models,one of them last week was showing the rest of June and first two weeks of July to be mainly dry. It now looks as if we will have the typical North West South East split in FI. I think we will get another dry spell, but it won't be two or three weeks of dry weather, then again something like that is very rare. With the higher sea temperatures we probably will as you say have more humidity and thundery spells. Although if we do go back to climatic norm they should start to cool down soon

• Advertisement

Yeah, I agree with the longe range models and often pay no attention at all to them. The reference to them was actually from a UK Met Office video a week or two back where they did a deep dive into their thoughts on the summer based on lots of LR models and other data where they went for HP to the north and LP to the SW for most of the summer (with interludes in between). But perhaps that will not verify either!

Did you see that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhweDD_DlE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Got to 22c in Sligo bur got really windy after lunch now calm again. Had about 40 drops of rain. Now sun peeking out again and 19c

It's bright from 4am to nearly 11pm these days. There are always windows of pleasant weather to enjoy if you really want to. Embrace the light and the sea temps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Those radar returns over Bray today have amounted to SFA. Literally barely even dampened the paths.

Same. However it feels more unsettled than before. Think it's on the wane now. Next few days here very showery with some warm sunshine.

Raining here in Meath since 2pm, mostly light rain but there have been some heavier bursts mixed in, a very similar day to last Monday. Looks to be alot of rain on the way tonight and indeed over the weekend. Back to the models searching for the next potential dry and warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

East Co Galway here and the thunder and lightning has been getting closer for the last hour or so. The last clap of thunder felt like a sonic boom so cue all 3 dogs completely losing their sh*t.

About 0.3mm of rain in Sligo. One light shower for 10 minutes. About 17c now and pleasant if we didn't have the last 2 weeks to compare it to.

Jee that 22 to 26c heatwave was something else for the NW. 18 warm Summers days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a drop of rain yet in my area,a bit of flying mist earlier but it hardly made it as far as the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Nice drop falling in South Wicklow since about 8, not heavy but persistent. Heavy band moving north towards us might up the ante, we'll see it if keeps track. It's very welcome and was badly needed!

Advertisement