Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

If you mean by, "How did he become PM?" My guess is that he's an expert at failing up, combined with very good timing by going for leadership of the Tories at a time when they didn't seem to have many other good options. (Which might also be the reason why he wasn't ditched by the party sooner....they had no Plan B)

If you mean: "How did we get to the point of him nearly being gettisoned from the HoC for lying?" Well first, this is Boris so of course he lied, and second you've got this archaic rule where lying can't be called out in the HoC (without the person being ejected for the rest of the session). So Boris was safe to make up any crap he wanted, present it at PMQs and do so without having someone call him a liar...because that's not allowed.

However you are not supposed to lie in the HoC at all which is why he's now in contempt. It's surprising that the mostly Tory committee found him in contempt, which might indicate that a chunk of them want to make sure he doesn't come back (for a while at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He has been disloyal to every Conservative PM he served under. He promised Cameron that he would not support or canvass for Brexit, actually I think he promised to Canvas for Britain to remain in the EU. However when Micheal Gove( I think it was him anyway) decided to support the Leave campaign for the Leave side as well even though he promised Cameron he would not. It was a tactical decision so he could get a tilt at the party leadership down the line.

He was disloyal to Threasa May as well. He critised the Brexit deal she was proposing( and completed virtually the same deal but with a poorer outcome for the UK. He promised the DUP no border on the Irish sea and put that pretty much in place.

He expected total loyalty having never been loyal to any leader before him.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I notice he went for his phoney "jog" for the cameras today. He's about five or six stone overweight and couldn't run 400m if you paid him....an absolute fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just said this to the Mrs. today. Like that fucker jogs on a regular basis. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The fact that he doesn't own a pair of running shorts - he jogs in what looks like bathing trunks - tells you all you need to know about how often he goes jogging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Seems to have a knack of doing that whenever he's featuring heavy in the news. Get the feeling he might be doing it mosty for the Photo-ops. Is it that he thinks that "running = good PM?" and that photos like these will make him appear that way?

Boris....buddy....you also have the be good at the job to keep people thinking that. "Jog on" you Eaton twit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I kind of feel sorry for her. Imagine every state funeral or celebration she has to attend for the rest of her life, each one a reminder of how catastrophically bad she was in the job?

She did all of that entirely to herself. She was the one parasite who was pro-Remain. She then deployed the classic Groucho Marx maxim and climbed all the way to the top of that greasy pole only to eliminate over £30 billion from the UK economy. If someone on benefits gets a tenner for taking out someone's bins, they're more accountable than this moron.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Absolutely, but I can still feel sympathy. She’ll have this around her neck for many, many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't. She is so incredibly deluded and desperate to frame the narrative and to re-write history to convince everyone that it wasn't her fault, all without a hint of responsibility or acknowledgement of her part in the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Since she is bust giving speeches in Taiwan and appearing on GB News doesn't seem like being in the limelight is a particular hardship for her.

Her message, she repeats it in the GB News clip in the tweet, is that it was the 'establishment' that done her in. Like Johnson it is not her fault, it was the dark forces that run everything that refused to implement her great new ideas.

She has no shame about what happened and if anything wants people to feel sorry for her.

Inflation is now higher under Sunak than it was during the post-budget statement from Truss and Kwarteng.

Could the latter have implemented their strategy better? Yes.

But many people are asking the question of whether Truss should have at least been given a proper chance at the job, rather than being thrown under the bus at the first opportunity.

Who is asking that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Exactly. If she saw the error of her ways, I could maybe sympathise but all this was was a transfer of wealth from the working class to the elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Their failed strategy was the first opportunity. Literally within days of taking their positions, they tanked the economy in ways that they're still now struggling to make good. Pretty much every developed country is struggling with inflation. Truss and Kwarteng's nonsense policy, which they were heavily warned against and continued to defend until the political, not economic consequences became too great, has compounded that.

She wasn't thrown under the bus. She painted herself like a speedbump and lay in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's like that time I got asked to step down as manager of my local U14s team when we were just 12 points behind the leaders after 4 games. Someone else took over and they finished a disappointing 16 points back after the 22 game season. Clearly they should have stuck with me.

Many? Who? Apart from Truss herself, there is literally no one calling for Truss to come back. It wasn't just her policies. There were massive doubts about her ability before she even got the job. The fact that she was unable to deliver on her own main plan proves that she was incapable.

A leader complaining that the only problem was that they were unable to get others to follow is, by their own admission, not a leader.

Let's remember what happened. Johnson was kicked out. The Tories needed a new leader to steady the ship, and prevent the loss at the next election. The call at the time of Johnson's leaving was that the Tories should call a GE, to get a new mandate. They argued they didn't, but obviously, they needed to get a long-term leader to take them through to GE 2024.

That they could see how awful she was within 40 days tells you all you need to know. THey turfed her out, knowing that the calls for a GE would be massive and that this really was their last chance. But they took that chance because they knew that giving her any more time would be even worse.

You can be sure that they had party talks with her. They would have tried to understand the long-term strategy, the overall plan. She couldn't even convince her own party that she was able for the job.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying people are arguing for Truss to come back. That ain't going to happen, that ship has sailed.

But many within the parliamentary party (and her supporters at the time) believe that Truss should have been given something of a chance. I think her approach at the time was botched, for sure, but I still think it was too hasty to dump her in the way that they did.

Remember, only around half of those polled believed she should have resigned. Hardly unanimity.

A proper chance? You think the party didn't ask her to explain what she was doing, that others didn't offer advice on how to fix things?

At no point do I believe that the Tory party decided to ditch Truss for any other reason than they could see how totally inept she was. It certainly wasn't their 1st choice. To believe she wasn't given a chance is to completely forget that the party itself gave her the job in the first place.

She refused to take any input from the OBR, that is what spooked the markets. She then sacked the Chancellor. It isn't like she came into the role with a stellar performance behind her. She was a lightweight politician with little or no achievements and certainly had no discernible leadership qualities.

The Tories gave her a chance by voting for her as PM, and then realised, too late, that the concerns of many were actually being far too generous and she was even worse then anyone could have predicted.

45 days. Let that sink in. IN the history of PM's in the UK, there has never been such a term. Because despite other being unpopular they had least had something to them, some ability. Her party, and this is all down to the party and those are the ones that saw her up close, could see that she was incapable and actually keeping her was worse than the risks inherent of getting rid of the leader so quickly.

Any links to those who publicly stated their belief she should have been given more time?

53% can be described as around half; it can also be described as a majority. A greater percentage of people polled wanted her to resign than the percentage that voted in favour of Brexit (51.89%).

She was inflicted upon us by a minuscule minority of incredibly toxic individuals who couldn't cope with having a bame PM.

As for her economic philosophy, the standard defence of libertarianism is that it only fails when it is insufficiently applied which, funnily enough, it always seems to be.

She's ultimately a consequence of British conservatism. You select people solely on the basis of compliance and loyalty and this will always be the inevitable result. As long as the Tories allow themselves to fail exclusively upwards, they'll never be more than verbal morons and bigots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Karppi

Rishi needs to show a bit of leadership and vote in favour of. the Report on Monday. What's the betting he doesn't?!

(I wanted to do an interrobang but I don't think Boards would be able to cope) ‽ ooh it seems to have😀

He can't. He'd split the party. It's the same reason he has Braverman still around. He needs to keep everyone sweet as he lacks the skill to lead properly or do much of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

That Nadine has still not resigned.

She is almost the UK's answer to Marjorie Taylor Greene 😊

She has realised what she stands to lose by quitting. Sounds to me that she quit in a pique of rage, probably expected that once Johnson quit the whole party would threaten to follow him and Sunak would be forced to give her the peerage.

But none of that happened and now she is looking like throwing away the only bit of importance she has for nothing. Time to dig in and hope that nobody remembers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She seems a proverbial populist who doesn't really believe in anything (a bit like Johnson). The way she could go from being a supposed remainer to a fanatical, hardcore Brexiteer just because it was voted for in an advisory referendum.....there is nothing to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

Johnson is back. In Daily Mail form.

Advertisement