Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It's not an established tactic when below 400 and 4 overs worth of it isn't an established tactic either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Gillespy

So why have I seen it happen countless times? They got 393, if they got seven more runs it would have been fine? Oh 400 is a psychological milestone. Stokes has credit in the bank to make such a decision and after a great day I don’t feel it’s worth getting too angry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I wouldn't call 393 a great day. We'll see what the pitch is like tomorrow but I guess it's par at best.

I'm not angry about it at all , it's was a stupid decision. It's common sense. Root was literally hitting sixes at the end. And no 430 minimum on that flat. Sorry you have seen countless opening day sub 400 declarations have you?

Great day of cricket I mean. It was exciting and tense all day I thought. Root and Bairstow were great. I expect Australia to pile on the runs tomorrow and most of the following day too. Broad and Robinson offered no threat. They might improve and Anderson will be Anderson. Moeen might have to take the wickets. Lyon did get some turn.

Seen teams declaring to have a bowl before stumps. Stokes saw it as an opportunity to attack and was worth sacrificing runs for. Didn’t work this time. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭MFPM

Really enjoyable day of cricket. Hard to know the balance of play right now but I suspect at the end of day 2 things will be clearer. Given that England didn't take a wicket this evening means Stokes declaration was rather pointless, he gambled that a fresh Broad would take out a tired Warner and perhaps given Khwaja's form in England that the Aussies could have been 2 down, it didn't happen and only time will tell if the potential runs he sacrificed will come back to haunt him.

If the conditions stay as they were today Australia should have no problem building a score if there's more clouds around then perhaps Anderson comes into the game more. Lyon did well today but he went for a lot of runs, Moeen could take bigger punishment if the Aussies get going.

Yeah, no you see it often , I just don't think I've ever seen it that low score with their best man hitting 6s. But sure look it was a great days cricket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They want to take the aggressive, positive option at all times, but that felt like being aggressive for the sake of it rather than it being a positive decision. Big difference in declaring if it's Broad & Robinson out there compared to having an in-form Root at the crease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Seems the fast bowling stock is at an all time low over in England…. Brydon Carse and Sam Cook are the next tipped entrants into the test side. Neither are exactly putting batsmen under the hammer playing for their counties…

The leading English wicket taker in English county cricket this season is a soon to be 37 year old medium fast bowler, Chris Rushworth.

Then Joe Leach… 32 year old medium pacer…Then Ben Raine… 31 year old medium pacer

Matthew Potts… a quick, who hasn’t been quick to take wickets in the opportunity he’s had for England. 23 wickets in 6 tests, 11 innings ….poor.

Toby Roland-Jones & Lewis Gregory… 35 & 31 respectively. Forget it….

Where is the young talent ? Forever seeing on the ECB social media showing off of young quicks, darting in, bowling, at the state of the art centre’s of excellence, all sorts of gadgets, gizmos, fancy schmancy tech to monitor, film, evaluate, feedback, staticize and critique…

yet, for all that the English management don’t seem to be able to pull a couple of young international class quicks out from the county scene ? Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I did not expect two early wickets. Annoyingly they will now be used to justify the early declaration even though they’re largely unconnected.

And I swear to Christ, if this Bazball chatter - ‘they’re just out there to have fun, entertain the fans’ - doesn’t settle down I don’t know how much more English cricket I can watch.

Post edited by iffandonlyif on

Good start for England, they've got lucky with the conditions this morning, poor by Labuschagne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

The lad from Barbados, Jofra, was very fast but has been plagued by injuries

Two pretty bad shots by the Aussie batsmen. Looked nervy and reaching for it….they’ll be hoping that’s not going to set the tone for the innings…. England will be satisfied, no they won’t they’ll be thrilled, Stokes gets Smith lbw…. 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Aussies in a spot of bother it seems, bit of graft required now to build innings. Looks like weather could determine this test though?

• Advertisement

Australia are too preoccupied with batting time, to show the conservative approach is better they’ve got themselves in a right mess. It’s not even their natural way of playing.

Looking at the hourly forecast on the BBC site, we are slated to loose close to a day and a half’s play

might lose the entirety of tomorrow afternoon… should get a full days play on Monday but Tuesday, showery spells in the AM but the afternoon looks to be a complete right off… hopefully the forecast improves.

Weather aside, Aussies can’t lose more then one wicket in the next session.

Seeing the replay of Smiths wicket, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him called for dissent due to his reaction to the umpires decision. It really wasn’t on. I’d be a firm advocate of law 42 being invoked responsibly… of course in 2023 it won’t be.

I’m usually all for resurrecting the ‘spirit of the game’ but I don’t see he did much wrong. He just scrunched his face and lifted his hand in protest, didn’t he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Is it just me or is Eoin Morgan an absolute pain to listen to on commentary.

• Advertisement

Yep, in protest, which is dissent. It was the correct call by the umpire either way.

Bairstow makes a meal of a straightforward stumping opportunity. Don’t know how but he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

If you think he's bad be happy that Danny Morrison isn't commentating, the most annoying man in history, a trundler who couldn't bat, and just keeps rabbiting on, the Australian home commentary team is pretty annoying too, think they are funny laughing at their own jokes

Great ball from Moeen, Aussies not providing much support for Khawaja, Warner shouldn't be in this team, 220/5

I take your point, and it’s probably going to start annoying me the more I see it. But I feel it was just an instinctive expression of displeasure at himself. I’m glad they don’t all do it, though.

If the Aussies can get to stumps say only 1 more wicket down and around 50 in arrears they’ll be delighted…. 67/3 things were challenging for them…

be interesting to see the English front lin bowlers try make something happen with the new ball so late in the day.

Khawaja bowled off a no ball 266/5

Really poor selection of replays shown by Sky of that Broad/Khawaja ‘wicket’… if any part of the foot is behind the line, either grounded or raised at the point of delivery, it’s a fair delivery… if the third umpire has the angle to conclusively decide, why can’t the TV viewers see ?

odd.

Khawaja deserved that bit of luck on the no ball he's been immense today, the fact it came off Broad makes it even sweeter 🙂

England could be batting again if Bairstow took those two chances and Broad didn’t overstep. Can’t afford them on flat pitches.

Warner's continuing presence is a mystery to me, are the Aussies that short of alternatives, he hasn't merited a test place for a couple of years IMO?

• Advertisement

Lead under 100 now, this is a good partnership between Khawaja and Carey.

Khawaja excellent - tough to bat through a full day with wickets falling just at moment when a partnership might really get going. Puts the pressure back on him each time to steady things. Great opening batsman performance.

Warner? Did he not get 40+ recently as opener? If he can get a half decent score in any second innings here, be worth the place surely?

Where's this match going though? Assuming Aussies manage tomorrow morning, could well have a lead of 100. But suggested above that a day+ likely to be lost, so guess a draw is most likely. Unless the wicket/ weather turns devious and wickets tumble.

1 hundred in 32 innings, and announces his retirement at home next winter, bit of a narcissistic approach, I suppose the problem is Renshaw and Marcus Harris have 1 between them in 28 tests, though renshaw bats time well and has scored heavily for Australia A recently

Carey out for a very well made 66, Australia 338/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Not sure Ali will last the Ashes.

Which BBC website/ page is this? I looked in BBC radio and at Radio5 but can't see that option?

I see Khawaja is gone now, very patient innings from him but I guess they needed to get back in gear a bit as runs were drying up.

Go on to the BBC website and click the link, it directed me to youtube, and the TMS commentary is on that, so if it doesn't redirect from that site, maybe do a YouTube search

Some long tail for the Aussies, 9, 10 , 11 all genuine rabbits, 378/9

Thanks - found it after a while. So even stevens more or less.

• Advertisement

Australia made a hames of that. Very uninspiring so far Khawaja, Head and Carey aside. They will need a rethink.

England must be in disbelief they cleaned up the tail so quickly. Not what they usually do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

That was fairly limp by the tail

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nice bit of green

Guerilla Cricket is a good option for irreverent but knowledgeable radio cricket commentary if bbc is not an option.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/64958486

The close up of Moeen Ali’s finger isn’t pretty. Looks very painful.

The wheels are coming off the Bazball wagon!

• Advertisement

Australia made use of some good bowling conditions. Only two down, so not quite game changing yet. England won’t want to get back playing today if it doesn’t shine out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Lucky Australia with the weather conditions for that brief spell. The ball was doing nothing until that 20 minute session where the edges also finally started carrying.

Weather tomorrow looks good. May have a shower or two after lunch, but looks good for batting I would say. Tuesday however looks like a rainy day, particularly in the afternoon. Stokes could do something crazy tomorrow as he has repeatedly said that he isn't interested in draws.

That was then and this is now. A draw is a lot more valuable psychologically than a loss.

Stokes looks like he's gone off the idea of thrashing the ball this morning. Lost Pope & Root and suddenly the scoring is drying up. Maybe he smells defeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That break in the rain yesterday really shafted England with the loss of the 2 wickets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement