Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

EY are guns for hire. They'll publish whatever the person(s) commissioning the report want to see. Plus, they've arbitrarily come up with whatever criterion suits their message.

If a different body asks DNV or Accenture or whoever to write a report for them, you'll get a different answer depending on the money behind it.

Anyway, all the report tells us is that we are 13th or 6th or 1st or whateverth most expensive/gullible/submissive in the world for anything with Green or RES in its title and investors can milk it for all it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Why do a Cost Benefit Analysis when there's only massive cost, questionable benefit and no brain power to do analysis. Easier to just spew nonsense at the indoctrinated masses and let them do the hard work. It might as well be Putins bot farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’d say your last paragraph is very apt when it comes to greens.

I caught an item on I think Liveline today where there are these blatant vandals are going around slashing tyres of SUV’s. I only hope one day these shisters don’t have a family emergency some day and jump into their vehicle only to discover 4 flat tyres. Millions have been spent on taking away traffic lanes to widen footpaths and install bicycle lanes, yes these very caring cyclists won’t use the damn bicycle lanes. I see this every day on the dual carriageway linking the M4 & Intel. Also on the North Wuays for an example.

This bunch are ruining our Country, they think they are above the law.

ok, sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll get shot for this, and while I don't know your specific examples, I think there is a big problem in this country with how cycle lanes are designed and constructed. They are often not fit for purpose and definitely not designed by cyclists, their design can lead to lack of progress and can put you in more dangerous situations, particularly with pedestrians, so much so that it is often easier and safer to cycle on the road. I think that they are only constructed to satisfy some feel good, environmental box ticking exercise for council officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

One thing I’ve noticed about the new wide cycle lanes going in near me is the cycle lane tarmac is the same colour as the road and the kerb is higher than the road but a hard to spot (at night time) grey. Couple that with no plastic bollards and there are now loads of car tyre marks up along the kerb due to drivers not being able to see the kerb/ cycle lane at night.

It’s strange they didn’t design them with cats eyes along the kerb at 25m intervals- maybe you can’t use cats eyes in built up areas or something?

Still mindless vandalism, what happened to 'if its not your's, don't touch it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Sorry, SLASHED also.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tyres-slashed-in-dublin-climate-action-group-6093498-Jun2023/

Anyhow, what gives these fu**ers the right to damage another persons property?

Do you & your ilk support this ‘action’?

• Advertisement

I have a problem with courtesy/enforcement regarding these ‘Sean Kelly wannabes’ they think they own the road.

Drive down the North Quays. These ‘cyclists’ ( not all mind) got their own lane yet they still use the left side of the road causing a bus/coach unable to pass them

Drive up from Terenure Village towards Bushy Park. There is a gap in the wall specially ( afaik ) so cyclists can exit the narrow road, yet they ignore ( again not all ) the sign telling them to exit the road.

I could go on but in fairness this thread is about the bombastic gp, not bicycle lanes-so apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

This thread is not about the Green party, the thread is about "Green" policies according to the title but seems to have gone in the direction of "the bombastic gp"

Have you ever tried to use any of the cycle lanes to see why cyclist might have issues? Walk a mile in someone else's shoes as the saying goes

Tyres didn't get slashed, the air was let out. Nobody is defending these types of actions but lying about them is not the way to resolve them, which I would say is what the person done who said the tyres got slashed. Anger person is bound to exaggerate, especially when they went to the bother to type up letter saying deflate

For a crazy environmentalist like these people are slashing tyres would be the worst thing to do because it means the person will have to replace them, which is bad for environment.

They are looking at the fruit cakes in UK "Just stop oil" who think making it inconvenient for people by blocking up traffic/stopping traffic is the best way to get their message across which of course is doing the opposite.

Okay, I must go back to school: the headline says slashed, I didn’t know that spells deflated.

Anyhow, does it matter? What gives these gurriers the right to interfere in another person’s property?

I asked You a question a few posts back, can You answer it? Do you support this ‘action’?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah, it really was so considerate of them going to the bother of typing up a letter saying they had deflated the tyres. I`m sure that made all the difference to those that found their cars unable to be driven to bring them to work or even hospital appointments. I can see it really making all the difference to someone who would have needed their car for an emergency. It`s no more than a mealy mouthed attempt at excusing vandalism.

What next, somebody robs your home or your person and the excuse is "It wasn`t so bad. They didn`t burn the house down and he/she only needed a few stiches, and after all they did go to the bother of typing up a letter saying it wasn`t personal" ?

People jumping through hoops attempting to leesen the degree of criminality based on them leaving a note, or that the tyres were deflated rather than slashed, (as one poster here is doing, who himself would happily inform on neighbours and be happy to see them jailed for not following the letter of the law on turf burning as he sees it), is nothing more than attempting to defend these gurriers.

Post edited by charlie14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

When your religious belief is strong enough then you feel a divine right to interfere and control the lives of any unbelievers. History is littered with countless examples of this. The green ideology is no different, you either get with the program or they will use whatever methods they deem fit.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

A brilliant illustration that not one of these lunatics world-wide has a clue.

Happy to piss away unknown thrillions of taxpayers money and they cannot even answer the most basic question of what good it would do.

At least the U.S. lunatic fringe have put forward some kind of costings. Our geniuses cannot do even that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It does not make it ok. It makes it vandalism.

These fools have no clue what households might have medical appointments or commutes to school or work a distance away. They have no right to interfere with people's property of lives.

And they are absolute cowards too, because they go to quiet affluent suburbs and not to inner city or deprived areas (where there are also SUVs driven) where the chances of them getting their heads kicked in for interfering with a car are significantly greater.

I don't drive an SUV but I did and they came onto my property to mess with it, I'd smack them over the back of the head with a tyre iron and let justice take its course.

But funnily enough, I do have a 40 year old BMW 6-cylinder as a limited mileage classic, which would be far more polluting than a modern diesel SUV like a Skoda Kodiaq, a model I notice they particularly tampered with in Churchtown.

Which also proves they are ignorant dopes and w@nkers.

Some of the common signs of a God Complex are :

1. Being excessively controlling
    2. Refusing to accept criticism
    3. Thinking they have all the answers.
    4. Ignoring the needs of others.
    5. Being indifferent to how their actions affect others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Nobody is "jumping through hoops attempting to leesen the degree of criminality". No need for the histrionics.

People should be adhere to the law, if it's letting air out of tyres or burning incorrect fuel sources. Nobody can pick and choose which laws they want to adhere to.

Yeah, maybe they should target the scrotes who go around causing havoc on scramblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Any word from the green movement on the Iceland issue ? Green ideology is to reduce indigenous food production making us more reliant on the likes of Iceland to supply our needs with imported rubbish .

I do not see it as histironic for pointing out that this was nothing other than vandalism.

I would see it though as mealy-mouthed, (especially by those who otherwise are such fervent believers in the law being followed to the letter where it suits their agendas), attempting to excuse it rather than condemn it for what it is.

Who funds these people who come up with type of nonsense.

Iceland has just 53% self sufficiency in feeding its own population.

There was something else on them becoming suppliers of biomass as far as I recall, that farcilal bookkeeping carbon neutral energy source. If they are looking for willow plants, there are Irish farmers who would be more than happy for the Icelanders to come here and dig up those that have cost Irish farmers millions that they want shot off that were being peddled by greens as a fortune to be made from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think they are talking about Iceland the shop. They were in the news this week after recalling their "meat" products.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I understand why some feel the need to take such action. These behemoths have no place on our roads though there are other methods which would be far more effective in eliminating their popularity one of which is the proposal for motor taxation which factors in vehicle weight.

The motor taxation system is being looked at for overhaul so this would be a perfect opportunity to tackle this serious social issue

The irony of course now that most ev's are suv style vehicles of these days.

You sure You are not a green in the real world? I asked You a direct question & you answer in a roundabout way. Do you condone or condemn these actions? Yes or no?

Also what is the ‘serious social issue’ with regard to the motor taxation? In 2008/9 the then government brought in reduced motor taxes for anyone driving a diesel vehicle. Today an ev has a €120 tax rate which is much lower than a petrol or diesel vehicle. Is that also a ‘serious social issue’?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Behemoth is your word and it's a subjective word.

A Range Rover LWB or a BMW X7 is an entirely different animal to a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Toyota Highlander and these absolute gobshites make no distinction.

A Highlander Hybrid is a 7 seater that can do over 200 mpg and carries a capacity that would otherwise take 2 x Golfs or Focuses, an equation that these cockwombles cannot grasp.

I wish you and they would just be honest and say this is reverse pinko snobbery and an excuse to dress up vandalism as some warped version of direct action.

Advertisement