Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The free movement around Europe is good but surely some security protocols are in place.

Surely they must have some sort of database that flags criminals or former criminals when their passport is scanned.

I always assumed that was the case but maybe that's not the case.

Otherwise can't violent sex offenders like in this case just move around Europe without anyone knowing what he is and what danger he poses to women and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Sorry for Sligo students but the Union of students retweeted https://twitter.com/stand_ie/status/1669629182454759424?s=46&t=I5Ng64p4m8u3ocgC9fbhIA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Independent TD MacSharry on refugees: “Ireland is obviously providing a minimum of €230 per week. The next highest is €107 in Finland. In Denmark, it's between €60 and €80 and in the Netherlands, it's €54,” he said.

Are these amounts correct?

Apparently so, we’re the only country providing full social welfare on top of free accommodation ,meals , health care etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes but we are becoming more and more "Americanised" every year. The economy and making money is the priority for many. Look how important career and titles and salaries have become to people working in US multinationals and telling everyone how great they are on LinkedIn including the shiny new masters they are slaving on. All to the detriment of their family and friends. Many Irish people have lost perspective and the US employers love our willingness to serve/please. Rant over 😂

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Should be fairly easy to require all persons flying into Ireland to have first presented their passport in order to get on the plane. Stiff fines for airlines who don't comply with this. Data from these passports can then be forwarded on to the Irish authorities in advance of the plane landing and cross checked against those disembarking.

If anyone has "lost" their passport inflight, then it should be fairly easy to obtain their record from the forwarded data. The physical passport would not be needed in this case. Again, if anyone used a fake passport to get on a plane to Ireland, stiff fines for the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Nonsense. There’s nothing ‘Americanized’ about having ambition and striving to get the most out of yourself intellectually.

I work for one of those much maligned US multinationals. It’s a pleasure to work there, surrounded by smart, capable people from whom I am constantly learning. There’s no boasting on LinkedIn, bragging about salaries, or subservience to our supposed American overlords.

Instead, it’s a group of people working hard to provide for their families and yes, to grow their skills and knowledge. Your characterization is so far wrong, it’s laughable.

One thing most of the people working for my employer haven’t lost perspective on, is immigration. There’s a very broad consensus that the volume of inward immigration is far too high and there are legitimate concerns about IPAs showing up at our borders, sans documentation. Perhaps you should meet a few people gainfully employed and contributing to this country, before you trot out your wildly inaccurate cliches?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have worked in 3 of them and I still do contracts for them. I never said there is anything wrong with ambition but the corporate dream is very misleading and deceptive. When you are working 50-60+ hour weeks in order to "get the most out of yourself", other aspects of your life will suffer. Add in the early mornings for the India/Far East calls or late at night for the US masters, it takes a toll. Usually health or family. I have seen it too often but if you don't see that, fair enough.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

I'm Irish, irish passport. Came through Dublin airport the other day from Germany. I was tempted to not produce my passport, and say to immigration ' sure, I dont need a passport to get into Ireland'. Just to see what happens.

In fact, as a protest, I'd love if for a full day, every passenger arriving would march up and say they lost their passports.

I often travel to the States, Singapore, Malayasia for work, and i have visited Canada, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Australia for holidays. Total respect for their visa and immigration systems. If you rocked up without a passport, and not from a refugee recognized country, you'd be on the next plane back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why didn't you try the same thing with German immigration officials instead? They took in 1m Syrian refugees after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That's true for Ukraine refugees who can claim jobseekers' allowance, but adult asylum seekers get €38.80 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Technically, people who come to Ireland from the war in Ukraine are not seen as 'refugees' but as prospective EU citizens seeking shelter - it's quite an unusual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

No discussion of anything before the Courts permitted

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

True. I hope you have better luck fielding these facts than I had.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

Yes I am aware of that.

I would expect that when someone has a criminal history that it would be flagged.

Based on the fact he was allowed into Ireland that must not be the case.

Effectively someone could commit a serious crime and easily disappear to somewhere else in Europe if that is the case.

Also someone who was jailed for a serious crime can freely move to another country unaware of the risk that person poses to the public.

Of course they are not flagged.

Someone who has a criminal conviction has paid their debt to society. You cannot further punish people by limiting their travelling.

Surely people noticed all our Irish criminals going to live in Spain over the years........

Ye true sure isn't Larry Murphy hiding somewhere abroad.

I don't agree that they are not flagged if they paid their debt to society.

If for example a paedophile is coming into the country then gardai should be aware of that.

It certainly makes it very easy for criminals and former criminals to move around Europe.

• Advertisement

Paedophiles and sex offenders on registers are different. They are constantly monitored after release and the countries inform each other of their whereabouts.

People not on registers are not monitored post release and are free to travel.

Apparently, the USA and many others don't share your lack of concern that past convictions might be a guide to future behaviour.

https://visaguide.world/tips/countries-you-cant-travel-to-with-a-criminal-record/

Could you point out where I said anything about previous convictions and future conduct? Anywhere?

If someone is applying for a visa for this country, then previous convictions must be given and can bar entry, it's not just America that do that.

Of course if you don't need a visa you don't need one.

If you don't enter legally, you don't need a visa either.

Lots of people don't need visas, UK and EU citizens.

Which is what the conversation was actually about. An EU citizen.

Interesting articles in today’s Sunday Times, apparently airlines are only fined if they allow asylum seekers on the plane without a passport but if they “lose” it in transit there’s no fine.

Also apparently 81 cookstown estate in Tallaght is currently home to 222 male asylum seekers from Georgia,Algeria, earning the owners 497,280 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Why the hell should a country which cannot provide enough houses, school places, prison cells, hospital beds and GP places for the current population (many of whom are immigrants) be continually trying to import people into the country (essentially that is what immigration is ).

Until all the problems with looking after our existing population are fixed it makes no sense to allow so many additional people into the country.

Why the hell can't the government stop putting the cart before the horse and realize that they should fix all the problems for our existing population and then we can allow more immigrants to come live here if they wish.

Surely that is a much more sensible way of running the country than the current situation.

Fact is the country is currently overpopulated, if it wasn't we'd have none of the problems I highlighted above.Overpopulation is a key issue impacting standard of life across most countries all over the world why should we be trying to follow suit and be overpopulated as a country when we don't need to.

Who'll will pay the future pensions is a bullshit argument, it's an argument based on the pyramid scheme economics that have been promoted across the world for the past 75 years, fact is that method of running an economy is clearly ridiculous and policy makers have to really work harder and come up with a better way of running the economy, perpetual population growth in order to sustain peoples pensions etc is not a good way of doing things.

My above argument applies to all countries not just Ireland.

Ireland is definitely not overpopulated. Far from it!

It is the only European country that has a lower population then it did 170 years ago.

I dont agree that the country cannot provide enough houses, schools, hospitals etc, the country has plenty of money and could provide excellent public services, if they were correctly managed.

Government mismanagement is the problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

If we can provide them why haven't they been provided.If our politicians and public services are not so good at doing what they're supposed to do then the last thing we need to do is overstretch them and have them needing to be more competent than they are capable of ever being

Just because our population is smaller now than it was 170 years doesn't mean it isn't over-populated.We should be running the country with a buffer for everything i.e. always have more houses, more hospital beds more school places etc to sustain the population, that would be a prudent way to run any country, why do we need to get near capacity for anything it's a country not an airline that we are running.

Why are some people obsessed with packing this country full of people when it's quite obvious that overpopulation is the root of most of the worlds problems,if we are underpopulated then that is good as that is the way all countries should be.

• Advertisement

Ah give over with this argument that we had more people living in extreme poverty before the famine so we can back to that now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement