Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, white all the way for me.... I know its the free option, but we still love ours being white...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Noticed yesterday I think one of my headlight bulbs might be gone.

I only picked up the car on Tuesday. Would I be able to get this fixed for free or is it my own fault for not inspecting it at delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would have thought that would be covered by Tesla, report it via the App.

go into the service menu (while parked on level ground), and select the adjust headlights option.. It will auto level the headlights, and then give you the option to manually adjust each sides height... auto levelling is enough and you usually don't need to manually adjust any sides height.

I'd give that a try first, as it might just knock it back into life, and failing that try a 2 button reset.

If still no joy log a service request in the app. It would be 100% covered by warranty as its a new car. If it needs to be replaced they'll replace it, but parts might take some time, but at least its summertime and the days are long...

Thanks, great advice

Is the 2 button reset where you press the 2 buttons on the steering wheel at the same time for 30s and the car effectively turns itself off and on again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not 30 seconds. Takes only a few. Once the screen goes blank, let go.

yeah, only takes about 5 seconds to blank the screen and as Gumbo says, let go at that point and it will reboot... about 10-20 seconds after the screen goes blank you should see the Tesla T logo, and this this the infotainment restarting...

Note that this 2 button reset only reboots the infotainment system, but will generally clear any faults/issues in the car that can be solved with a reset, which in most cases is all the issues...

Though not advised, you can actually 2 button reset while driving the car... all driving functions will still work like indicators/lights etc... but the display will go dark for about 30-60 seconds. Its weird driving along with no screen and no info being relayed to the driver, either audio or visually like indicator chimes or speedo etc...

Another very useful method for clearing any issues/faults is to park the car with Sentry Mode turned off and let it 'go to sleep' i.e. leave the car for about 30 minutes or so so it completely shuts itself down ('goes to sleep'), then when you wake it up, it should clear any niggly issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Autopilot follows speed zone changes via speed limit signs, works flawlessly

Autopilot and CC/AS slows down when approaching dangerous bends/tight corners

Autopilot does cancel autosteer when overtaking (when you leave the lane and/or physically steer the wheel off centre of the lane)

If you're not experiencing the above log with Tesla as works for me (221 Model 3)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Agreed. It's a real step down from other EVs. Shocklingly bad IMO. Would have been fine years ago but doesn't cut the mustard now.

Much prefer the notion of lane-keeping whereby the car keeps in lane and lets the driver nudge the steering wheel for correction without fully cancelling assistance. That and the fact lane changing cancels it. Ugggh! I get it, long-term goal is autonomy/FSD. This annoyed me so much on motorways I coughed up for EAP. The lane changes are frustratingly slow using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Your traditional VW punter wont care about things like Netflix, app, efficiency etc. They want to sit in, point the car and go and not have to read online forums for tips/tricks on how to reset infotainments and adjust setting etc.

The VW dealer network is also a big benefit (perceived or not) or maybe put better.... the lack of a Tesla dealer network is a problem. I know I know, you'll tell me about rangers but if you do have to go to the service centre its not much good if you live in Cork and you've effectively to take 2 days off work to do that!

Tesla need more service centres. Looks like we may get one shortly in Cork.

I think these points are why VW is doing so well. They keep it simple and the cars are very good (although their pricing is gone a bit crazy). That "simple" aspect wont appeal to early adaptors and tech geeks but its what John and Mary down the road want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Will have to do the two button reset again as I am not getting the speed zone changes or the tight bends.

Sorry, meant the travel assist doesn't cancel the autosteer which is great.

Have given it a wash and will head out shortly to test again...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I find the Model 3 takes no heed of sharp corners when in EAP. It just tries to drive wrecklessly around the corner at the set speed, also doesn't slow for round abouts. It's fantastic for motorway journeys and traffic but for anything it's useless and dangerous. It has no real intelligence to it as far as I can see, doesn't take the map data into account like Travel assist, maybe it will come eventually via update. There's no way I would have paid for it if it wasn't already included in the CPO car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

A well spec'd ID is not that simple. Granted it doesn't have netflix etc and the app is a bit basic but everything else is well catered for. Having a few recognisable buttons also helps compared to the minimalist interior of a Tesla

The 0% pcp and being able to pop into the dealer to talk to 'Jimmy' who they have been dealing with the last 10years is a big plus, we all see the frustration here dealing with somebody on chat in the uk.

On the above, I very rarely encounter 99% of the issues reported by other Tesla owners and I often wonder is it because I have sentry off at home. So in essence every evening it gets to sleep deeply!

+1 to the above.

except for AP cancelling on lane change. My car does that for me, EAP 😛

I don’t think people have to dive into online menus for a Tesla anymore than a ID4 for example. The fact you have to pull fuse no. 19 on the ID4 every other month would suggest that it’s not all rosey on their system either.

I would not have known about that tip without online forums as VW took a week to diagnose the issue that could have been fixed in the garden in 5 mins.

But I agree VW software is on par now once your on 3.0/3.1/3.2. It’s a massive improvement and things like scheduling charging works the way it should have from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

The biggest drawback for the ID range of cars I can see at the moment is the price. If you go for anything more than the most basic spec they don't compare favourably to the Tesla's.

Yeah, same here.. I don’t use Sentry at home as I have an IP camera that covers my driveway, so the car always gets a good sleep all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

to say the feedback from new Irish owners on the tesla driver assistant is ‘varied’ would be an understatement.

if it’s not assisting, then it’s obstructing - and let’s face it, all these assistants will constantly do dangerous crap, even on motorways, that cause you to be alert to intervene all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Indeed. It amazes me how some posters here rarely get phantom braking. I've had 1 Tesla rental recently while on Continental Europe, 1 in Ireland. Both had about 3-4 phantom braking events. I had a polestar 2 rental which was lovely to drive although the drivers cockpit was a bit tight, no instances whatsoever. I've driven Volvos, Bmws and VW group cars with radar cruise rather extensively throughout the past decade, I never had phantom braking from them either. The only time they would suddenly brake was if someone veered into my lane close to me.

So based on my experience with newish Teslas, my conclusion is camera-only advanced drivers assistance systems are unreliable, unsafe, lack redundancy, are sensitive to environmental conditions(dirt, glare), and lack of depth perception capabilities of radar. I believe no amount of machine learning will fix this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

fully autonomous driving involves using machine learning to apply some form of organisation and logic to chaos theory. It’s phenomenally difficult.

there are literally 1billion scenarios that can happen as you reverse out of your drive, with people, obstacles, vehicles of any size, speeds, weather, etc etc etc etc etc - and an FSD car needs to know how to act for each scenario, every millisecond.

doing it with cameras alone just adds to the complexity / most experts seem to agree that it’s an unnecessary complication.

This is why the current cars become ‘uncertain’ and either manoeuvre very slowly, or ask the driver to intervene - they run out of safe options.

Madness alright.

Out of the 2 cars with drivers assistance here, I’ve only had phantom braking on the 530e.

I haven't yet got phantom braking in my 22k kms Model 3 driving, have occasionally got phantom slowing up and phantom turning lane. But also got those in my previous VW and Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh aye not just the lack of dealer network but also parts supply is a big problem with Tesla. They do give nice loaner cars if your car is off the road, but that's an utter pain if you have to go to Sandyford for one if you don't live in the greater Dublin area. And VW is still I think the biggest car maker in the world and has been around literally for over 100 years.

But I don't see why a VW punter won't care about efficiency? Of course they care. The motors forum used to be full of VAG diesel owners proudly boasting that their TDI did more MPG than any other car. But I guess the spend on electricity is a fraction of what they used to spend on diesel, so far less relevant. Personally I don't care about efficiency either, but range is kinda important in an EV, surely you agree 😁

The Tesla interface is actually very easy to use. People call it the iPad of the automotive world for a reason.

Personally I don't care for the app or Netflix or any other gimmick either but the sat nav is on a level of its own, combined with the supercharger network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭allinthehead

That has been my experience so far too, albeit with only 5,600 kms on the clock. Mine slows for lower speed limits on autopilot and I don't have the issues others seem to have with the wipers. FWIW no sentry on at home.

☀️

Those complaining about the wipers, you wana drive a leaf. Hands down the worse wipers I’ve ever had. Either too slow or too fast with nothing in between!

I don't use Sentry that much, never at home. Wipers not too bad either, sometimes have to start them in light rain, but a quick press is not too much hardship. A few times they have been reluctant to turn off, or turn on when no rain, but usually when a lot of flies and bugs on the sensor. At least they are now easier to turn off from left scroll wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here's an analysis from a US academic on that article. The guy owns a Tesla with FSD but all his vids are, eh unlike the article, pretty acadamic 😁 Reasonable, objective, quoting sources, etc.

A screen shot I took - pretty self explanatory, the data on Tesla vehicles is from Tesla themselves. I can't really see a reason why they would falsify these figures, they would be in big trouble if NHTSA would investigate. Also you gotta give some credit to Tesla here. Their cars are the safest cars ever tested by Euro NCAP. The current Model S is the safest car ever tested, and before that, last year, the Model Y was the safest car ever tested. This is obviously no coincidence, Tesla really means business when they say they want to make cars safer

And then of course, there is the by definition not existing data about the accidents prevented and lives saved because of autonomous driving features in cars...

It's immoral to block these systems once they are safer than humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

On the phantom breaking, haven't had one yet in the Y, 3months in.

On the 3 before that I hadn't had one for over a year, and maybe 4 in 3 years, all were when passing trucks that were close to lane edge. There was an update during that time where the car moves to the right of the overtaking lane when passing trucks and recenters afterwards, might be the reason for the reduction.

Advertisement