Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Busy life alright. It is tough to do with so much going on. A lot of sacrifice required and a lot of support needed.

Definitely try pepper in the odd extra easy day where you can.

I had to get real creative last year to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

You don't need to run 6x per week to break 3:30. If you can only commit to 4 days just make sure you focus on quality and recovery. Alternate a tempo and interval session each week (with a down week every 3/4) and add quality to your long runs. I wouldn't under-estimate the physical and mental benefit of finishing your long runs at a strong pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Agree with this. Running more isn’t always the answer to faster times, quality over quantity can get you where you want also if you do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The statement that "running more isn't the answer" is a broad generalization that may not hold true in every context. When it comes to marathon training, there is indeed a need to put in a significant volume of miles to adequately prepare the body for the demands of the race. However, it is important to strike a balance between quantity and quality in training.

Scientifically, increasing the volume of running during training can lead to physiological adaptations that enhance endurance performance. Regular long-distance running stimulates the cardiovascular system, improves oxygen uptake and delivery to the muscles, enhances muscle capillary density, and promotes efficient energy utilization. These adaptations contribute to improved aerobic capacity, which is crucial for running a marathon successfully.

However, solely focusing on volume without considering the quality of training can be counterproductive. Running excessively without allowing for adequate recovery may lead to overuse injuries, fatigue, and burnout. It is crucial to incorporate rest days, proper nutrition, cross-training, and sufficient sleep into a training program to avoid these negative consequences.

Additionally, simply accumulating miles without incorporating specific workouts to target speed, strength, and race pace may not lead to optimal marathon performance. Including interval training, tempo runs, and long runs at marathon pace can help improve running economy, lactate threshold, and mental resilience. These workouts enhance the ability to sustain a faster pace over the marathon distance and improve race-day performance.

Therefore, a well-rounded marathon training plan should strike a balance between quantity and quality. It should include a sufficient volume of miles to build endurance and physiological adaptations, while also incorporating targeted workouts to improve speed, strength, and race-specific skills. This combination of quantity and quality allows for a more well-rounded and effective marathon training approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I didn’t say running more isn’t the answer.I said running more isn’t ALWAYS the answer. It’s horses for courses. I’m not against running more at all I just think it’s not always the answer and there are other methods to get you where you want if you’re willing to try something that’s against the grain.

How do I know? Because it worked for me and others I know. I run significantly better with a quality over quantity specific marathon training block, only when I switched to this did I go sub 3 and eventually sub 2:50. I never ran more than about 60km a week over a 12 week block to achieve those times.

In my opinion though the most important part of any marathon training plan are the weeks and months before a marathon training plan even starts. This is where you log the big miles, too many runners start training plans without a base. If you have a good base then I fully believe a quality over quantity plan can work for a lot of people, not all, but a lot.

Anyway after saying all that I encourage people to find what works best for them, if it’s marathons for example I think it’s a good idea to do different plans and not the same each time, you’ll never know what work’s best otherwise. I’d never tell someone this is how you train for a marathon and other approaches are wrong. The truth is every plan will work to some degree but a specific plan to suit you can really make all the difference, it took me several years and many marathons to realise this.

Post edited by FinnC on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Interesting, so what is your base block of high mileage prior to kicking into the marathon training for 12 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

However, solely focusing on volume without considering the quality of training can be counterproductive. Running excessively without allowing for adequate recovery may lead to overuse injuries, fatigue, and burnout.

Maybe slightly off topic but - tbh it was always something that confused me about the Hanson's plan -> the emphasis on running on tired legs to simulate the last miles of the marathon. When you hear elsewhere how recovery is so important and is where the gains are made and the importance of avoiding over-training then the Hanson's methodology didn't really make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The theory (and I believe the science) of this is three part:

1. Recovery is dependent on the duration and intensity, but not so much on the state of fatigue when it's applied, so that adding a small amount of intensity doesn't cripple recovery.

2. Intensity near the end of a run means you're completely warmed up, meaning less chance of injury provided that form is good.

3. Having a solid block of easy for most of the run prevents recruitment of fast twitch muscle fibres and so maximises slow twitch gains. Supposedly there are diminishing returns after 90 minutes of that, and 75-90 is the sweet spot.

Essentially you're getting two complementary sets of stimulus, neither of which is excessively draining.

There was a lot about Hansons that seemed counter intuitive to me. The points you mention, the focus on pace rather than effort, especially early on in the program. Then I started seeing and reading about people's results from it and my interest was piqued. Bought the book.

Recovery is of course vitally important, and the plan has tons of active recovery either side of workouts, a rest day between the two main ones. The fatigue is cumulative and builds. You're not running on aching or sore legs, I think there's a big distinction there between that and 'tired legs'.

There's a lot of emphasis on watching out for signs of over training, and adjusting to it. The idea is to get you close to the edge.

Embarking on it on Monday for Amsterdam so I hope this post ages well. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

"In my opinion though the most important part of any marathon training plan are the weeks and months before a marathon training plan even starts. This is where you log the big miles, too many runners start training plans without a base. If you have a good base then I fully believe a quality over quantity plan can work for a lot of people, not all, but a lot."

I think this is a really key point. Any decent marathon plan will get you fit and will work for most if followed to the letter. However, if the base isn't there then the increase in mileage and intensity demanded by a particular plan could prove too much for some, leading to injury or underperformance.

Rather than focusing on the peak mileage/number of days running of a marathon plan, it might be more productive to think in terms of finding one that aligns with your average weekly mileage year on year. I'll be following Hanson again this year because I like the structure of it and it worked for me last year, but I'll feel comfortable adding some extra mileage to the easy days because I'm running close to 50mpw over the past 12 months. This time last year that average was closer to 40mpw and the peak weeks of Hanson (mid 60s) were very much at my limit. This year I'd hope to be able to top out somewhere in the 70s.

I actually do think that "run more miles" is the correct answer for most of us in terms of bringing about significant improvement but that it needs to be calculated over a longer time frame than your typical 12-16 week marathon plan.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with all of that, solid sound advice. I think though that in the context of this particular thread it's generally assumed that people are going into blocks capable of mileage.

What was interesting to me above was Finn's experience of improving by reducing volume, having a lot of experience of both approaches. I guess that points to the fact that there's no 'one size fits all' approach. My own experience has been the opposite. Adding an extra day to my week last year was a game changer. Increasing easy volume was a turbo boost to my fitness. Quality plus quantity, rather than quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, Finn's experience surprised me too but then he has run multiple marathons. His aerobic development might well be at a point where he won't get that same boost from pushing out the mileage during a marathon block. I'd guess that we all reach a point eventually where running higher mileage becomes problematic or unrealistic. At that point it probably makes sense to maintain the sustainable mileage and crank up the intensity of the quality sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I had a relatively successful marathon last year and my grand plan was to build a base off the back of that.

The plan was to really attack a bunch of races in early Spring and maybe/possibly work towards either another autumn marathon (didn't take up the DCM entry option) or have a proper go at cross-country and/or aim for glory at the Great South Run.

But even a cursory glance at my running log would be enough to tell you this went spectacularly t1ts up....picked up a bit of a niggle after DCM but was still tipping away ok, but then got wiped out by that flu at Xmas (steroids, antibiotics etc) and was just getting back to decent training again when Covid popped up and put me on my arse again for another few weeks.

Back at it again ok now and working towards DCM (won a place via work) but as per last year it'll be a quality over quantity approach off not a great base.....not expecting a major improvement obvs, will be happy to shave a minute or two off at best tbh.

Tldr: I think a low mileage approach can work as long as you have a consistent few months behind you (and don't get sick every 5 mins 😡)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

@event How did you get on in Cork?

You mention that you like plans with 20-22 mile runs - can I ask why, if they have not helped you break 3:30 yet?

The 4-day week is probably the biggest weakness in your approach.

Would not recommend meno plan over 4 days. Not enough time for recovery miles, chasing the recommended mileage over fewer days increases injury risk.

That said, I got my own first sub-3:30 off that plan. Did better off Hanson, but you’re always building on what went before, so any reasonable approach will work if you have the discipline to carry it off at the right effort. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

I broke 3:30 last year for the first time mostly with consistency and one to two sessions a week, mostly at half and marathon pace. I dropped all 5k and 10k stuff.

I also made a number of mistakes, the main one was racing too much. This year only focusing on the half marathon, 6 weeks before my only marathon of the year.

I think 5 days for most is optimal, the majority of which is easy running.

Strava collected a load of data from marathon runners and showed a correlation between higher volume means faster times. I've no more details, heard it on a podcast.

I'll be hoping to take a huge chunk off my 3'18 this year and I think I can do it with the same approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

I just like running long. I enjoy it and find it easier. Dunno why.

Cork wasn't a proper marathon, as weird as that sounds. I was pacing a mate who was doing it for charity. His goal was sub 4 but from mile 18 he had to stop and walk so I stuck with him. We walked a good bit and finished in 4:20. I'm just happy that I've about 450 miles in the bank this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah OK. Only asked because you mentioned it. Obviously irrelevant, and fair play for sticking with your mate (I had a similar experience in Dublin last year and was more than happy to use it as an excuse to leave the pacee to their own devices). 😯

If you want to improve, you need to change something. What feels comfortable could well be holding you back. Nothing like throwing the book out and starting again.

450 miles in the bank this year? You don’t need big mileage for 3:30 but 90/month is obviously not a lot.

Yeah I didn't kill myself for Cork as I knew I'd be ok for it. I will say there's a lot of trail and mountain running in that. 33k feet or 10k metres of elevation in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have a friend being coached by him and I honestly can't figure out the plan. It's done by HR zones and excluding warm up/cool down on session days there are zero miles/days of zone 1 or 2 (of 5) Make sure you get your recovery and easy days done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I listen to the Strength Running podcast. Episode #303 was on how to run a marathon PB. They talked through a fictional 34 year old woman who was hoping to go from 3:48 to 3:45. She was running two marathons a year, year on year without reaching her goal. The main thing that came up was to focus on shorter distances and try to improve there before diving back into marathons again.

• Advertisement

This is a common training strategy in marathon running known as periodisation. Periodisation involves dividing your training into distinct phases with different goals and focuses. One aspect of periodisation involves building a solid base of fitness through shorter, faster races before transitioning into a marathon-specific training block.

The science behind this approach is as follows

Aerobic Base: Shorter races, such as 5K or 10K events, emphasize speed and help improve your aerobic capacity. They require a high level of effort over a relatively short duration. By training for and participating in these races, you enhance your cardiovascular system's ability to efficiently utilize oxygen, improve your overall running economy, and strengthen your aerobic base.

Muscular Endurance: Marathon running requires substantial muscular endurance to sustain a steady pace for a prolonged period. Shorter races can help develop this endurance by challenging your muscles to handle high-intensity efforts. The repeated stress of faster, shorter races strengthens your leg muscles, tendons, and ligaments, preparing them for the longer and more demanding marathon distance.

Mental Toughness: Running shorter races at a faster pace can also help improve your mental toughness. These races push your limits, demanding mental focus and determination to maintain speed and push through discomfort. The mental resilience developed in these races can carry over to marathon training, where you'll inevitably face challenges and need to overcome fatigue and doubts.

Injury Prevention: Building a solid base before beginning marathon training is crucial for injury prevention. By focusing on shorter races first, you allow your body to adapt and strengthen gradually. This approach reduces the risk of overuse injuries that may occur when transitioning directly to marathon-specific training, which typically involves higher mileage and longer runs.

Variety and Motivation: Incorporating shorter races into your training adds variety to your routine, keeping you motivated and engaged. It breaks the monotony of long-distance running and provides a fresh challenge. The sense of accomplishment from achieving personal bests or reaching specific goals in shorter races can boost your confidence and maintain enthusiasm for the upcoming marathon training.

As always I would highligh the fact that individual experiences may vary. Some runners may have different preferences or respond better to alternative training strategies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks @marathon2022 that outline is very helpful. I had thought periodisation was more to do with certain moments within a training block rather than being more strategic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a very odd approach. Higher intensity aerobic training (at and above LT2) has the shortest half-life, so doing it in the off season seems functionally pointless - it'll all be gone by the time target races come around.

It makes more sense to do strength training and LSD in the off season, and then increase specificity (i.e. more MP) towards target races.

In summary I think the author is saying just that but also that the use of periodisation was to gain performance bumps which followed through and helped him to an next level, a next level he can sustain using more efficient training methodology. Firstly his reflections on performance during the year acknowledges that it exceeded expectations. He was able to run frequently, improve speed, recover quickly, and enjoyed training. He utilised a block periodisation approach, starting with a VO2max block and transitioning to threshold and steady-state blocks leading up to his target event, the marathon. This periodisation was repeated twice during the year, followed by two months of training specifically for a 100 km ultramarathon.

While the overall performance was positive, there were challenges. The author often experienced niggles and minor injuries during the training cycles, which affected progress. They also felt physically unhealthy at times, even though they could train adequately. The author attributes these issues to a combination of their personality, the periodisation approach, and their tendency to overdo high-intensity training, resulting in injuries. The author acknowledges that his previous block periodization approach was beneficial for their performance gains, but now, with their desired level of performance achieved, they seek a more sustainable approach to maintain their current level and avoid excessive risk. He believes the improvements needed for their main goal, the 100 km race, will require longer-term development. Which makes sense.

How is everyone getting on so far?

Mine going ok. Technically started this training block on 26/06 so 4 weeks gone. Had a 10 mile race on Saturday (The Blaney 10 mile). Was hoping for around 70-75 minutes. Surprised myself and came in at 68. Was over the moon. I've started going to an Abs and Core class on Thursdays which I feel is helping. I've never done any form of S&C before so this should benefit.

Have a few more races lined up. 5k on 04/08 and potentially a 10 mile in August but nothing booked. Then will do a half in September, will probably go for the Dublin half. Wanted to race Ratoath again and get a PB but I think the fact the Dublin one is a bit hillier will stand to me. Had to remind myself I am training for a marathon PB, not a half one.

Back doing trail/mountain running as part of this block. Do it on a Tuesday night, find it really helps the power in the legs. Then a speed session on a wednesday, a recovery on a Thursday with the S&C class then LSR on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm going along nicely so far. Following the Grads plan, and have just completed the 6-week base phase. Into the marathon specific 14-week block now from this week. Up to 15 miles for the LR yesterday, and 52 total miles for the week just gone. It's only my third ever marathon block and my first since 2019 (various assorted injuries in the meantime), so I feel almost like a novice again in taking great satisfaction from running farther and more than I've done in years. That said, I've had a good 12 months building into this so I feel very ready for the step up.

I've booked the Tullamore HM as a build up race. Which reminds me that I need to start thinking about fuelling and gear soon if I want to try out anything in Tullamore.

Was tipping along quite well myself up until 3 weeks ago. Following Hansons for Amsterdam.

Picked up a soft tissue injury in the hip/glute. Ran a bit easy and rested a bit but missed a chunk of the program.

Physio gave me the green light to crack on albeit with lower volume for the next week or two.

Thankfully it's the type of injury that requires activity to heal.

A goal was 3:05 (PB 3:26), B is 3:15 and the C goal is a 3:20 BQ.

Just over 11 weeks left so am hopeful of the B goal still being on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Training for my 4th Marathon which will be Amsterdam. Training is going really well, after building up a base I am now on week 4 of my plan which is mainly EIM based but also has a mixture of other runs included, this is given to me by a friend mentoring me. The training is really ramping up now with a big weekend just gone, a steady 90mins on Sat - 22km then a 28km on Sunday at around 5:10km pace finished up a decent week of training. Haven't really gotten near that Sunday distance since last years Marathon so it did feel tough towards the end but was buzzing when I put the week together & realised how much I had actually done, also feeling quite strong (have added in some S & C which really seems to be helping me) Long may it last!

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Advertisement