Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think history will pinpoint the South Park “We want Privacy” episode as sparking a massive turning point in their fortunes and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

It could have also been a turning point, a blessing in disguise. The rumour mill was all about them suing the producers, rumours which they had to go and deny. A shrewd PR move would have been to show some self deprecation via acknowledging (even if it wasn't actually genuine) that they absolutely loved the episode and were honored to get the South Park "treatment" as such. Just laugh at themselves just once but they missed an opportunity there in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Have you a link to where Chelsy has expressed unhappiness at the court case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

First of all, it was Meghan's podcast. Harry was not involved. If you read around a bit about the problems at Spotify, it seems they thought they could get all these high profile people (like Kim Kardashian & Meghan) and build an audience. Whereas with Joe Rogan, he had the audience already and it cost them 200m. Archetypes was probably way too 'woke' for an American audience anyway.

Just on their output - you seem to have forgotten that everyone and everything was in lockdown for most of that period.

How was Harry in a bubble of privilege when they had to bumb a lift from Tyler Perry (whom they had never met) and would have been homeless but for him. Some privilege with the rapid British tabloids chasing them around the world.

How is it a privilege to have your every move, personal information plastered all over the front page of a newspaper. How is it privileged to have to tolerate discusting comments about you from the likes of Jeremy Clarkson? Please explain to me where you see the privilege in all of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Harry/Meghan don't seem to want to pay for a lot does not mean they are not privileged. Shure the whole car chase was apparently due to being tight with cash not getting freebies or cheaper price. Because were harry and Meghan you should be privileged were staying here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

"Simmons, who still runs the Ringer and is also Head of Podcast Innovation and Monetization at Spotify, made the comments on his eponymous podcast.

“The f-cking grifters. That’s the podcast we shoulda launched with them,” he said. “I gotta get drunk one night and tell the story of the Zoom I had with Harry to try and help him with a podcast idea. It’s one of my best stories.”

Yikes! Their reputation in Hollywood must be trashed at this point. I had assumed they'd get another podcast deal like the Obamas got after they left Spotify but I'm not so sure now, if they do get one, I would say it will be much smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Archetypes was probably way too 'woke' for an American audience anyway.

Eh ... America is the birth place of Woke!

They would have been homeless but for Perry? Lol.

A Prince with an estimated £30 million fortune? With another couple of million quid from his daddy funding his freedom? Telpis. Surely military man Harry could have organised digs at his expense? Maybe but seeing that he recently wanted the montecito mansion listed as a consul to perhaps save on property tax could be an example of his infamous stinginess, the kind of which cost him Cressida Bonas but which duped Perry. Initially anyway.

Privilege? Yeah, because you and I can sign a $20 million and $100 million deal with Spotify and Netflix respectively just like that. These two are done. Netflix cutting ties will follow.

If that's legit it's hilarious. 🤣🤣

Lots of us here have called them grifters from the get go. I hope @Sardonicat see this, she started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

As soon as they registered whatever it was in Delaware most people caught on to that. Not sure If I'm remembering correctly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ah would you stop. Harry grew up, and still remains, about as privileged as it gets. Meghan too was hardly raised in poverty. although obviously not royalty level privilege, still decent enough for the US - privately educated, trips to Europe etc. And sure wasnt she already a millionaire from her job on suits? They were never going to be homeless, that's complete nonsense.

This is yet another opportunity squandered. The fact is, they had it all in the royal family. All they had to do was accept the fact that they weren't at the top of the royal hierarchy and they could have had their entire life paid for at the cost of a few boring engagements a year. They had none of the pressure that being the heir entails. This wasn't good enough for them and now they've pissed away whatever good will they had, and many of their opportunities to make their own money due to their seeming unwillingness to actually put in any effort or hard work. I predict one or both will come crawling back to the rf in the near future looking for handouts and status.

So depending on what estimates you believe, their security alone is reckoned to be in the region of 2.5 to 5 million a year (euros, sterling or U.S., doesn’t really matter) - it’s 25 to 50 million yo-yo’s every 10 years- that’s a lot of spondolicks to have to “earn”.

They fly around the world on private jets; eat out at Michelin star restaurants and lecture people on whatever topics they think their sucker fans will swallow - thing is though, their fan base is an undetermined amount right now and I feel it’s dwindling given their self centered 3 years of moaning and bitching- even the “tower-block Tracey’s” will get sick of that eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Ah, so people should stop doing unpleasant things to others, only when they express their unhappiness because of it (when it is already done)! Right. Most people are sensitive enough not to do it to others beforehand. Especially when following: "don't do to others, what you find disturbing".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,136 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You missed the point.

I was genuinely scratching my head when Meaghan signed up to that deal, asking what exactly does she have to offer that people would be interested in hearing?

You could say the exact same thing about numerous podcasters. I picked one of the most popular and one of the most popular in Ireland as examples.

It’s called “popularity” and I think it’s the missing link between what those people offer and what Harry & Meaghan claim they offer.

Most b-list celebrities have to “reinvent” themselves over time to stay “relevant” - it’s generally accepted by the public as long as they don’t rattle on too much about it and just produce an interesting product in the end- which those people you mentioned apparently did.

A-listers have an additional often undefinable quality that doesn’t need reinvention - they’re just good because the exist as they are- Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks, The Obamas, Robert DeNiro- they could recite the Ballyconneely phone directory and it would go to no 1 on Spotify, just because of the aura they have in the public minds- they don’t tire.

Harry & Meaghan don’t have a sense of humour- they’re trying to hard to be relevant- their constant reinvention is funny to watch because it’s so obvious what they’re “trying” to do and failing miserably.

As valoren said above, had H&M laughed at themselves over the South Park episode, they just might have appeared more human and more likeable. For me they’re the grown up version of Greta Thunberg- life’s just too short to be so serious all of the time.

It’s called “popularity” and I think it’s the missing link between what those people offer and what Harry & Meaghan claim they offer.

Again you missed the point.

I'll try again.

I have no idea why people would listen to Vogue Williams or what she has to offer.

But there she is one of the most listened to podcasts in Ireland.

As for popularity, I suppose there is only one thing worse then being talked about....

Yet here we are. Again and Again and Again...

Vogue isn’t coming from a place of ridicule- I’ve no idea what she does on Spotify and no interest in finding out either- if she’s no 1 in Ireland right now, I say, good for her. I’ve also no interest in watching Emerdale or Eastenders or Fairly Sh1tty but apparently enough people do which keeps these shows in production- good for them I say.

The entertainment and interest value of H&M is not their work product, it’s the pathetic “trying too hard” approach to make themselves relevant - that’s what keeps people talking, or more accurately, laughing. And South Park just nailed that so well.

No one cares about their stance on saving the rainforests or whatever their pet project is this week - it’s the soap opera of their real lives that keeps them on the front pages - there’s popular good and popular bad- they’re “popular” for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A friend of mine loves the vogue Williams podcast. I listened and some bits were funny and relatable (straight to the chipper for a chips and battered sausage when you come home from living abroad, love it) but ultimately, I prefer my true crime podcasts. I'm sure no one ever has recommended archetypes to their friends, unless they love word salad and lectures. That's why it's been cancelled

I wonder what they'd do if the press lost all interest in them? No invasion of privacy to complain about and no publicity ...

• Advertisement

You still have threads like this excessively obsessed with them.

I think they’re under the misconception that they can control the press narrative written about them.

There’s no doubting the press has behaved appallingly in the past, especially towards Harry but also Meaghan- the racist undertones of some articles can’t be defended under any circumstance or any guise- they were just plain wrong.

But since leaving the RF duties, they did have a choice - keep a low profile and the articles would decease and those that would appear would likely be more favourable- but they decided to busy themselves making loads of money being whingers and back stabbers against their own families - they just gave the tabloids exactly what they needed- the fact they can’t see this though is the strangest thing of all-they’re so blind as to how their “cause” has likely genuinely hurt people once close to them- the “were right everyone else is wrong” approach hasn’t helped either.

You can’t complain about this thread though- you’re one of the top contributors- doesn’t matter whether your contributions are pro or anti, you’re contributing- so somehow, even for you, there’s “excessive obsession”

I very much doubt I am.

Either way you have missed the point again. I'm not constantly posting about them whilst in the same breath saying they are not popular.

I know you like facts and figures so……

Just under 13% of posts amongst 17 unique users in the last two pages are yours - so yes, you are. 🤪

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

"We're going to be very diligent in how we invest in future content deals," he added. "And the ones that aren't performing, obviously, we won't renew."

"But crisis communications guru Mark Borkowski says the show may not have been compelling enough when Spotify reviewed the numbers. It's always about the content.... clearly there hasn't been a big enough audience for it," he says. "If you can't deliver your fee, no one's going to pay it."

"Polling for Newsweek earlier this year suggested the couple's popularity in the US suffered following the publicity blitz surrounding their Netflix documentary series and the publication of Harry's memoir, Spare. "The more Prince Harry and Meghan say, the less Americans like them," was Newsweek's headline.

It all seems to be going tits up for the dastardly duo.

It also doesn't bode well for future commercial deals when people involved with them are unapologetically outspoken in their assessment.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/spotify-exec-harry-and-meghan-are-grifters/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I heard on some TV show that Meghan's podcast could have been good, had she not made it all about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

There isn’t one. She was sensible enough to follow the RF practice of, “never complain, never explain”.

Advertisement